FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Swiss International Air Lines (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/swiss-international-air-lines-502/)
-   -   Connecting in Zurich [ZRH] (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/swiss-international-air-lines/1313900-connecting-zurich-zrh.html)

dyz1104 Feb 13, 2012 6:26 pm

Connecting in Zurich [ZRH]

I currently have a reservation on hold that has is routed MAN-ZRH-PEK, but there is only a 50 min connection at ZRH. Is that enough? Do I need to go through the security check again at ZRH?
Thanks for all your help in advance!!

Passmethesickbag Feb 13, 2012 8:11 pm

The official minimum is 35 minutes; I (and my checked bag) made a 40-minute connection last week in spite of a late arrival. At least the LHR flights are now able to dock directly in the terminal, and you are no longer required to go through another security screen.

vanduse1 Feb 13, 2012 8:22 pm

I had to go through security a second time when switching between USAirline and Swiss. I had more than an hour and didn't make it. I don't know if your MAN-ZRH would require the same security re-check.

Fendant Feb 13, 2012 11:23 pm

Coming from MAN make sure that the utmost incompetent and unfriendly check-in agents tag your bag correctly! I was booked MAN-ZRH-GVA and despite saying that I want it checked to GVA the hguy tagged it to ZRH:mad:

NewbieRunner Feb 14, 2012 3:04 am

Welcome to FT, dyz1104!

Connecting from the UK to a non-Schengen destination via ZRH is much better since the opening of the new Pier B/D. There's no need to go through passport control or security check, but it could be a long trek from the arrival gate via Skymetro to Pier E. If your flight arrives at a non-gate position you will spend some time on the bus and less time walking! Follow the signs for transfers to E and when you reach the immigration hall bear left and down the escalator to the Skymetro platform.

If your flight from MAN is late and they think you can still make the connection they will probably drive you directly to Pier E.

I was on an evning MAN-ZRH flight last week which arrived in ZRH 43 mins late. Passengers for shorthaul and longhaul flights with scheduled transfer times of 50 and 55 minutes were picked up and driven directly to their flights. I was actually connecting to PEK but decided to travel to ZRH the night before to make sure I did not miss the inaugural flight. ;)

eriond Feb 14, 2012 4:57 pm

Originally Posted by Fendant (Post 18011315)
Coming from MAN make sure that the utmost incompetent and unfriendly check-in agents tag your bag correctly! I was booked MAN-ZRH-GVA and despite saying that I want it checked to GVA the hguy tagged it to ZRH:mad:

+1

The agents that LX uses at MAN T1 are horrid! The LH agents a few counters to the left seem much friendlier and less out to make your life miserable.

hwmorth Feb 15, 2012 5:12 am

Originally Posted by vanduse1 (Post 18010528)
I had to go through security a second time when switching between USAirline and Swiss. I had more than an hour and didn't make it. I don't know if your MAN-ZRH would require the same security re-check.

That must have been the case before December 2011 - now for that connection you will not have to reclear security.

mad_atta Feb 24, 2012 11:35 am

How about a 40m connection PVG-ZRH-ARN?

We're in F from PVG-ZRH connecting to C ZRH-ARN, with only 40 minutes to connect. I'm fairly confident that we'll make it, but is there anything we should be doing to make the process easier or more efficient?

With a short connection like that, does LX provide any particular assistance to arriving F passengers?

iainbhx Feb 24, 2012 11:50 am

I've made an A-gate to B-bus-gate connection including security in 16 mins at ZRH and my bags made it.

NewbieRunner Feb 25, 2012 12:24 am

Originally Posted by mad_atta (Post 18075263)
We're in F from PVG-ZRH connecting to C ZRH-ARN, with only 40 minutes to connect. I'm fairly confident that we'll make it, but is there anything we should be doing to make the process easier or more efficient?

With a short connection like that, does LX provide any particular assistance to arriving F passengers?

There's no special assistance for arriving F passengers in ZRH, but if the incoming flight is late and the transfer time is under 30 mins they might transfer you directly to the connecting flight. Longhaul flights often arrive early but if you miss the connection they should put on a later flight to ARN.

Originally Posted by iainbhx (Post 18075355)
I've made an A-gate to B-bus-gate connection including security in 16 mins at ZRH and my bags made it.

You obviously have more faith in ZRH than I do. ;)

Kpoxa Feb 26, 2012 9:55 pm

Connection in ZRH

I have upcoming trip EWR-ZRH-BCN with 50 min connection time in ZRH. Both are LX flights. How easy would it be for me to make this connection assuming the first flight is on time?

NewbieRunner Feb 27, 2012 12:32 am

Originally Posted by Kpoxa (Post 18087832)
I have upcoming trip EWR-ZRH-BCN with 50 min connection time in ZRH. Both are LX flights. How easy would it be for me to make this connection assuming the first flight is on time?

You will arrive in Dock E where you go through security check. Then follow the signs for your departure gate which will take you for a short ride on the Skymetro train to the main terminal. You will also clear passport control to enter Schengen, then just go to your departure gate which is likely to be in Dock A. (No further passport check when you arrive in BCN.)

You may also want to check the more recent posts in the following thread. (Security check arrangements in ZRH changed in December 2011.)
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/swiss...cting-zrh.html

Kpoxa Feb 27, 2012 7:24 am

Originally Posted by NewbieRunner (Post 18088278)
You will arrive in Dock E where you go through security check. Then follow the signs for your departure gate which will take you for a short ride on the Skymetro train to the main terminal. You will also clear passport control to enter Schengen, then just go to your departure gate which is likely to be in Dock A. (No further passport check when you arrive in BCN.)

You may also want to check the more recent posts in the following thread. (Security check arrangements in ZRH changed in December 2011.)
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/swiss...cting-zrh.html

Thanks. Sounds like quite a few steps before I can get to my gate. Is 50 min enough considering passing both security and passport control?

NewbieRunner Feb 27, 2012 7:55 am

Originally Posted by Kpoxa (Post 18089315)
Thanks. Sounds like quite a few steps before I can get to my gate. Is 50 min enough considering passing both security and passport control?

Many people who post in this forum will say 50 minutes is enough. I'd say it's enough provided your flight arrives on time. ;)

Koby Feb 27, 2012 1:48 pm

Originally Posted by NewbieRunner (Post 18089461)
Many people who post in this forum will say 50 minutes is enough. I'd say it's enough provided your flight arrives on time. ;)

Correct. And the OP also writes "assuming the first flight is on time". So, yes, he'll make it (assuming... :)).

I have had many short <long-haul> - ZRH - BCN connections in the last 10 years, and have never missed one. ^