Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Connecting in Zurich [ZRH]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 1, 2018, 9:54 pm

Originally Posted by Nick Art
BOS-ZRH arrives at Terminal E (with a slim chance of Terminal D, which would be better for your connection, but in no likely scenario I could see it arrive at a remote stand).
If you arrive in Terminal E (most likely) you'll exit the plane and take a train to Terminal A/B, where you will clear passport control. The only thing that bothers me a bit is that at this time all the early long hauls arrive, so passport control might be busy, but busy in ZRH usually means 15 mins waiting time max. Once you cleared passport control you can proceed directly to your gate, which will most likely be in Terminal A. I'd even be comftable to grab a quick 5 minute breakfast in the lounge. If there is no exceptional waiting time at the passport control I'd say it'll take you at max 30 minutes out of the plane to the gate of your connection flight.

If you are flying F you will be picked up at your airplane and driven to Terminal A where you'll have a private passport control.

If you were to miss your connection due to late arrival of your BOS-ZRH flight or some unfortunately long lines at passport control you'll be rebooked on the next ZRH-VIE flight by Swiss. (if both flights are on one ticket that is)
But I'm pretty confident you'd make the connection. I'd be comftable doing 20 minute connections in ZRH even. LX and Swissport staff are usually very good at handling close connections.
(Just recently I made a 20 minute connection in GVA having arrived late and at a remote stand, whole process was extremely fluent)
Thanks I've generally felt good connecting in Europe as opposed to trying the short-hop in the US where booking less than a few hours can be a total crapshoot. Plus missing the intra-EU connection is usually less painful than missing the trans-Atlantic flight that night.

Originally Posted by MichielR
Coming from BOS, you will have close to zero chance of an apron position. You will not have to clear security, but will have to go through passport control to enter the Schengen area before going to the A terminal for your VIE flight. Technically you’ll go through customs in VIE but that’s only an issue if you have goods to declare.

The BOS flight arrives with the wave of early morning arrivals, both a positive in that passport control will be fully staffed and a negative in that you won’t be the only one.

if LX sell you this connection then go for it, in all likelihood you will be fine and make it. Try to grab a seat in the front of the Y section if you can, though.

If you want to be even safer, book a flight BOS to JFK and connect to JFK-VIE direct.
Thanks that's good to know. I may use the JFK approach but that may require separate tickets.
Originally Posted by Fabo.sk
Do you really want to have an early morning meeting after an overnight in economy?
No but it's better than an afternoon meeting and arriving a day before isn't an option this time.
Old Aug 2, 2018, 1:20 am
Moderator: SAS
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: LX, SK EBD (*G)
Originally Posted by Lurker1999
No but it's better than an afternoon meeting and arriving a day before isn't an option this time.
I think what he wanted to say is that if you absolutely have no other to shedule your flying, at least try to go for Business.

And frankly I do agree.
Old Aug 3, 2018, 11:20 am

Programs: Der 5* FTL
I think what he wanted to say is that if you absolutely have no other to shedule your flying, at least try to go for Business.

And frankly I do agree.
Well either, or.
Old Aug 12, 2018, 3:41 pm

I am booked on following flights transiting through Zurich
  • Edelweiss flight LX8017 from Denver (leaving August 31st) reaching Zurich at 11:55 AM,
  • Swiss flight LX146 to New Delhi from Zurich at 12:40 PM.
The connection time is short 45 min, and I know from this thread that this is doable in Zurich. However, I have tracked the Friday Edelweiss flight from Denver in the past two weeks, and it was late in arriving in Zurich by an hour, on both occasions.

My question is, if the Edelweiss flight is delayed on my travel day, what should I be prepared for, in Zurich ?
Old Aug 13, 2018, 1:21 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by dspatwardhan
I am booked on following flights transiting through Zurich
  • Edelweiss flight LX8017 from Denver (leaving August 31st) reaching Zurich at 11:55 AM,
  • Swiss flight LX146 to New Delhi from Zurich at 12:40 PM.
The connection time is short 45 min, and I know from this thread that this is doable in Zurich. However, I have tracked the Friday Edelweiss flight from Denver in the past two weeks, and it was late in arriving in Zurich by an hour, on both occasions.

My question is, if the Edelweiss flight is delayed on my travel day, what should I be prepared for, in Zurich ?
You will be rebooked, depending on how long your delay is you will also get food voucher and hotel accomondation. But no compensation. Here are some rebooking options:

There is no second direct flight. And you’ll neither make it to Munich or Frankfurt in time to get the Lufthansa flight. so either you’ll take one of these (there might be more similar options) or you wait one day and take the next flight, the next day. So be prepared for a long wait and potentially a lot more flying. (But you’ll get a ton of miles if you fly over SIN or HKG for example!)
Old Aug 13, 2018, 6:56 am

Do you hold a Schengen visa or passport to get into Schengen? Otherwise your transit experience will not be very nice if its taking longer ...
Old Aug 13, 2018, 8:01 am

Originally Posted by YuropFlyer
Do you hold a Schengen visa or passport to get into Schengen? Otherwise your transit experience will not be very nice if its taking longer ...
I have an Indian passport, and I don't have a Schengen visa. In case I have to wait for the next day flights to India (New Delhi/Mumbai), will I be able to use the transit hotel ? I am traveling with a 6 month old baby, so absolutely don't want to wait in the terminal area.

Thank you Nick Art for showing the alternate routes.
Old Aug 13, 2018, 8:09 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by dspatwardhan
I have an Indian passport, and I don't have a Schengen visa. In case I have to wait for the next day flights to India (New Delhi/Mumbai), will I be able to use the transit hotel ? I am traveling with a 6 month old baby, so absolutely don't want to wait in the terminal area.

Thank you Nick Art for showing the alternate routes.
Oh dear.

While you could stay at the Transit hotel, there is always the chance that it might be fully booked (there just recently was such a case reported in thsi forum). And once that happens, you'll be locked in at the airport overnight. (the airport closes for the night so there will be nobody you could talk to). Also: for the stay during the day the lounges are the much better options than the transit hotel.

Such a short transit time with no shengen entry visa and a baby (and I assume the the whole family too?) is just a recipe for disaster.
If I were to fly this alone I'd happily take the 45min connection and potential reroute over Singapore, I know I can deal with this, but I'd never dare to have my parents take a connection that is below 1.5-2 hours for example.

What fare and booking class are you in? If I were you I'd rebook the whole thing. Over Munich for example.
Of course everything could also go perfectly fine, if I were you, however, wouldn't take this chance.

EDIT: Business Class on LH isn't as nice as on LX and EDW in my opinion, but this would be a good alternative. The only problem is that if you haven't bought the flex ticket rebooking will be really expensive if not even impossible. (Fares are around 8k oneway for C and 3.5k for Y). But with those flight you will have an easy 2 hours in MUC, even though you will need to depart Denver 2 hours earlier, you will arrive approximately a tthe same time like you would have with your LX flight.

Last edited by Nick Art; Aug 13, 2018 at 8:16 am
Old Aug 13, 2018, 10:59 am

Oh dear.

(...)

Such a short transit time with no shengen entry visa and a baby (and I assume the the whole family too?) is just a recipe for disaster.
+1
Old Aug 13, 2018, 12:08 pm

Another +1

No Schengen Visa + Baby/Family + Tight connection + Unknown to ZRH.. even if familiar with the airport, a bit of delay will kill it..

Not that a tight connection is better in FRA or MUC (it's not, it's worse.. ) but I'd never think about a tight connection at ANY airport I wouldn't either have lots of connections towards my destination and/or having the ability to go landside.
Old Aug 13, 2018, 3:02 pm

+0.99

That connection is a recipe for disaster but...

You can actually be issued a short-stay schengen visa by the border police in Zurich for you and your baby, but LX has to agree to pay (they are not cheap) and the border police has to agree also (I doubt any problem having a baby). With that you can go to a hotel to rest and wait for the next flight. I know LH does this in MUC and FRA, but not always and the German border police sometimes refuses to issue it if they think there may be foul play involved.
Old Aug 13, 2018, 4:00 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by schrodingerdog
+0.99

That connection is a recipe for disaster but...

You can actually be issued a short-stay schengen visa by the border police in Zurich for you and your baby, but LX has to agree to pay (they are not cheap) and the border police has to agree also (I doubt any problem having a baby). With that you can go to a hotel to rest and wait for the next flight. I know LH does this in MUC and FRA, but not always and the German border police sometimes refuses to issue it if they think there may be foul play involved.
Short stay shengen visa issued directly at the border? I never heard if that before, do you have a link where I can read up on this?
Old Aug 14, 2018, 3:10 pm

Programs: Der 5* FTL

Short stay shengen visa issued directly at the border? I never heard if that before, do you have a link where I can read up on this?
Norway has it on website (this was the first result I found). I would expect the same or similar rules in other Schengen countries.

Misconnection in transit is not listed as a valid reason, but a reasonably similar one is
  • that you are a seafarer signing on or off a ship in Norwegian waters.
Except that in this case you would not be "crew", but... I guess you see my point.

There are other points, like having sufficient funds to sustain the stay - I think that would be adequately covered by the duty to care of Swiss.
Old Aug 14, 2018, 3:21 pm

Is not a well documented procedure, because it is suppose to happen only in exceptional circumstances. This is why sometimes they will give you one so you can go and sleep in a hotel and sometimes they will say 'tough life, mate'

https://www.schengenvisainfo.com/sch...ossing-points/
Old Aug 14, 2018, 6:34 pm
pp1

90 Mins enough toe make connecting flight?

I am flying from JFK ->ZRH -> HAM. There are roughly 90 mins from when landing at ZHR to my departing flight to HAM. I have an american passport and want to know what sort of transition I should expect (security/passport/immigration etc). Thank you!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.