Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Connecting in Zurich [ZRH]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 8, 2018, 10:38 pm

Originally Posted by YuropFlyer
I think it's related to the new automatic gates (great thing, actually)

They work very smoothly (I found them to be much faster than their counterparts in HKG or FRA), but it seems most CH / EFTA / EU passport owners don't really want to use them..

So, basically they reduced the number of manned booths, as they thought most people will be using the automated gates - but I guess it takes some time for people to realize it's much smoother to use them.

Anyway, take down the elevator, in case there is a carnage at the escalator. You'll pass by from the "arriving" side that way, and are easily able to use the automatic gates (As long as you're holding a CH / EFTA / EU passport)
Sadly, I'm not. I was flying on a UN passport and have a Swiss Carte de legitimation, but no EU/CH passport. But the elevator plan is still a good one.

Should I expect it to be as bad going home? I've got about a 75 minute connection (though there are a lot of ZRH-GVA flights so if I miss the connection, it isn't a big deal).
Old Jul 9, 2018, 12:51 am
Moderator: SAS
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: LX, SK EBD (*G)
Originally Posted by frontenac551
Sadly, I'm not. I was flying on a UN passport and have a Swiss Carte de legitimation, but no EU/CH passport. But the elevator plan is still a good one.

Should I expect it to be as bad going home? I've got about a 75 minute connection (though there are a lot of ZRH-GVA flights so if I miss the connection, it isn't a big deal).
I don’t think so. The elevator path only works for entering the non shengen zone. When you leave it there is also the possibility to go through passport control D (when E is clogged) or vice versa.

PS: Out of interest, what is a UN passport? UN as in united Nations?
Old Jul 9, 2018, 4:00 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Sixt Platinum, IHG Spire Ambassador, Marriott/SPG Gold .....
Going HAJ-ZRH-EWR do I have to pass passport control too? Have 1:05 to connect
Old Jul 9, 2018, 4:01 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by blitzen
Going HAJ-ZRH-EWR do I have to pass passport control too? Have 1:05 to connect
Since you arrive in the shengen zone and your flight to EWR departs from the non shengen zone, yes you do.
blitzen likes this.
Old Jul 9, 2018, 5:56 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Originally Posted by Nick Art
PS: Out of interest, what is a UN passport? UN as in united Nations?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United...laissez-passer
Old Jul 9, 2018, 6:17 am

Programs: Der 5* FTL
Originally Posted by YuropFlyer
I think it's related to the new automatic gates (great thing, actually)

They work very smoothly (I found them to be much faster than their counterparts in HKG or FRA), but it seems most CH / EFTA / EU passport owners don't really want to use them..

So, basically they reduced the number of manned booths, as they thought most people will be using the automated gates - but I guess it takes some time for people to realize it's much smoother to use them.
Indeed I think most people just don't know to use them. A couple of weeks ago I passed through - sadly I didn't have my passport with me, had to go to the booth on national ID - and the automatic gates were deserted. However when the first person came in to use the gates, and people saw how fast was he through, a line immediately formed.
Old Jul 9, 2018, 6:38 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Ohhhh, fascinating! I did not know about that! (I tried googling but only results for UN passport were the french passport site, since un is also a french word).
One of my parents used to work for the UN, but I don’t think they ever had such a passport.
I want one! XD
Old Jul 9, 2018, 6:54 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Sixt Platinum, IHG Spire Ambassador, Marriott/SPG Gold .....
Originally Posted by Fabo.sk
Indeed I think most people just don't know to use them. A couple of weeks ago I passed through - sadly I didn't have my passport with me, had to go to the booth on national ID - and the automatic gates were deserted. However when the first person came in to use the gates, and people saw how fast was he through, a line immediately formed.
Hope that by end of the month (when I need to pass through) more people will use the gates as we are flying on one US / one EU passport
Old Jul 10, 2018, 10:32 pm

Originally Posted by Nick Art

Ohhhh, fascinating! I did not know about that! (I tried googling but only results for UN passport were the french passport site, since un is also a french word).
One of my parents used to work for the UN, but I don’t think they ever had such a passport.
I want one! XD
Sorry, I swear I wasn't trying to be coy. Not technically called a passport, which is probably why you couldn't find it. It means that you can use diplomatic lines if they exist (though doesn't give diplomatic status, sadly ). The big thing is that it saves my national passport from stamps (as it is, my ten year passport will probably last around four). And reduces the number of visas that I need to get (plus, if I do need a visa, I send the UNLP off to get it so I'm not left without my national passport (since I don't live in my home country, I always worry when I'm without my passport - though it's never actually been an issue).

Back on topic. I'll report back about the E to B connection (I think I leave from B - might be A). To see if that is as bad as the other way was last week.
Old Aug 1, 2018, 10:22 am

I'm debating booking BOS-ZRH-VIE for a morning meeting with a 55 minute connection in ZRH with no checked bags.

LX55 BOS-ZRH arriving 06:15

LX1574 ZRH-VIE leaving 07:10
LX3550 ZRH-VIE leaving at 7:40 (operated by Austrian)

The next flight is at 7:40 which bumps it up to 1:25 connection time but will make me late (but so will a missed connection and then having to hope there's room on the next flights).

Does the BOS-ZRH flight arrive at a remote stand and require being bused in? I will need to clear customs and immigration to get on the VIE flight as well I assume?
Old Aug 1, 2018, 10:35 am

Originally Posted by Lurker1999
I'm debating booking BOS-ZRH-VIE for a morning meeting with a 55 minute connection in ZRH with no checked bags.

The next flight is at 7:40 which bumps it up to 1:25 connection time but will make me late (but so will a missed connection and then having to hope there's room on the next flights).

Does the BOS-ZRH flight arrive at a remote stand and require being bused in? I will need to clear customs and immigration to get on the VIE flight as well I assume?
Cannot help you on the remote stand, but yes, you will need to clear customs/immigration in ZRH. What class are you flying? As I (and others) noted earlier, I had hit a massive line doing Schengen to Non-Schengen (apparently there's been chaos recently), but most reports are that the other way isn't so bad. Coming from Boston, I don't think you have to do security. I was going home from Tanzania and did, but ended up in F and was on LX, so ended up with their new arrival process, so I'm not sure of the timing in the "normal" lines. I noticed that the people on the Boston flight (which arrived at the F area at the same time as my flight) skipped the security check, which is where my assumption on that comes from.
Old Aug 1, 2018, 10:51 am

Originally Posted by frontenac551
Cannot help you on the remote stand, but yes, you will need to clear customs/immigration in ZRH. What class are you flying? As I (and others) noted earlier, I had hit a massive line doing Schengen to Non-Schengen (apparently there's been chaos recently), but most reports are that the other way isn't so bad. Coming from Boston, I don't think you have to do security. I was going home from Tanzania and did, but ended up in F and was on LX, so ended up with their new arrival process, so I'm not sure of the timing in the "normal" lines. I noticed that the people on the Boston flight (which arrived at the F area at the same time as my flight) skipped the security check, which is where my assumption on that comes from.
Most likely will be flying economy without any status.
Old Aug 1, 2018, 11:14 am

Programs: LX SEN, AFKL Platinum, BA Bronze,
Coming from BOS, you will have close to zero chance of an apron position. You will not have to clear security, but will have to go through passport control to enter the Schengen area before going to the A terminal for your VIE flight. Technically you’ll go through customs in VIE but that’s only an issue if you have goods to declare.

The BOS flight arrives with the wave of early morning arrivals, both a positive in that passport control will be fully staffed and a negative in that you won’t be the only one.

if LX sell you this connection then go for it, in all likelihood you will be fine and make it. Try to grab a seat in the front of the Y section if you can, though.

If you want to be even safer, book a flight BOS to JFK and connect to JFK-VIE direct.
Old Aug 1, 2018, 12:51 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

BOS-ZRH arrives at Terminal E (with a slim chance of Terminal D, which would be better for your connection, but in no likely scenario I could see it arrive at a remote stand).
If you arrive in Terminal E (most likely) you'll exit the plane and take a train to Terminal A/B, where you will clear passport control. The only thing that bothers me a bit is that at this time all the early long hauls arrive, so passport control might be busy, but busy in ZRH usually means 15 mins waiting time max. Once you cleared passport control you can proceed directly to your gate, which will most likely be in Terminal A. I'd even be comftable to grab a quick 5 minute breakfast in the lounge. If there is no exceptional waiting time at the passport control I'd say it'll take you at max 30 minutes out of the plane to the gate of your connection flight.

If you are flying F you will be picked up at your airplane and driven to Terminal A where you'll have a private passport control.

If you were to miss your connection due to late arrival of your BOS-ZRH flight or some unfortunately long lines at passport control you'll be rebooked on the next ZRH-VIE flight by Swiss. (if both flights are on one ticket that is)
But I'm pretty confident you'd make the connection. I'd be comftable doing 20 minute connections in ZRH even. LX and Swissport staff are usually very good at handling close connections.
(Just recently I made a 20 minute connection in GVA having arrived late and at a remote stand, whole process was extremely fluent)

Last edited by Nick Art; Aug 1, 2018 at 12:57 pm
Old Aug 1, 2018, 3:57 pm

Programs: Der 5* FTL
Do you really want to have an early morning meeting after an overnight in economy?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.