Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Connecting in Zurich [ZRH]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 20, 2019, 5:14 am

Programs: BA Silver, TK Elite, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, NEXUS/GE
The Mrs and I took advantage of the 2 for £3000 promo offered on LX last year, and next week we're flying LCY-ZRH-DEL. The first segment is in J, and the second is in F. This will be my first time transiting ZRH or indeed flying Swiss at all, so I have a few questions about what to expect on the day of travel:

1. It looks like flights from LCY will arrive at terminal D, and then the flight to DEL usually goes from E. When we arrive at ZRH from LCY, should we expect to go through security again before my onward flight? Surely I can avoid Schengen immigration?

2. Given that the departure to DEL will probably go from E, does it make the most sense to use the First lounge there (as opposed to A)?

3. I've read about a limousine transfer service for F passengers from the First lounge in A to remote planes, but I'm not sure if this is available any more generally than this. Should I expect such a service, for example, on arrival from LCY (if it's a remote stand)?
Old Feb 20, 2019, 6:31 am
Moderator: SAS
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: LX, SK EBD (*G)
Originally Posted by PeaSouper
The Mrs and I took advantage of the 2 for £3000 promo offered on LX last year, and next week we're flying LCY-ZRH-DEL. The first segment is in J, and the second is in F. This will be my first time transiting ZRH or indeed flying Swiss at all, so I have a few questions about what to expect on the day of travel:

1. It looks like flights from LCY will arrive at terminal D, and then the flight to DEL usually goes from E. When we arrive at ZRH from LCY, should we expect to go through security again before my onward flight? Surely I can avoid Schengen immigration?

2. Given that the departure to DEL will probably go from E, does it make the most sense to use the First lounge there (as opposed to A)?

3. I've read about a limousine transfer service for F passengers from the First lounge in A to remote planes, but I'm not sure if this is available any more generally than this. Should I expect such a service, for example, on arrival from LCY (if it's a remote stand)?
1.) You will most probably arrive into D or a remote stand. If you arrive into D there is a possibility to go to E without immigration but with a security check.
I would, however, advise you to go from D through immigration and then head to the lounge A where you‘ll ask for a transfer to FCL E and be driven there by the limo. (including a private passport control).
If you areive on a remote stand you‘ll get picked up by a limo and driven to FCL E directly.

2.) E would make most sense but the best way to get to E in your case, unless you arrive on a remote stand, would be through immigration and FCL A and then take the limo transfer.

3.) I think I answered that above.
But I think it is worth noting that in the UK you would also be entitled to a limo transfer to and from the airport.
PeaSouper likes this.
Old Feb 20, 2019, 7:59 am

Originally Posted by Nick Art

1.) You will most probably arrive into D or a remote stand. If you arrive into D there is a possibility to go to E without immigration but with a security check.
I would, however, advise you to go from D through immigration and then head to the lounge A where you‘ll ask for a transfer to FCL E and be driven there by the limo. (including a private passport control).
If you areive on a remote stand you‘ll get picked up by a limo and driven to FCL E directly.

2.) E would make most sense but the best way to get to E in your case, unless you arrive on a remote stand, would be through immigration and FCL A and then take the limo transfer.

3.) I think I answered that above.
But I think it is worth noting that in the UK you would also be entitled to a limo transfer to and from the airport.
Thanks very much for the advice. I already booked the Swiss free limo to and from LCY - that wasn't very well advertised!

To summarise, when I land at ZRH, one of two things will happen:
1. We'll arrive at a D gate, in which case, I should proceed through immigration into Schengen and into the First A lounge, whereupon we'll get a limo over to the First E lounge (and do Schengen exit control privately).
2. We'll arrive at a remote stand, in which case a limo should take us directly to the First E lounge, which sounds like it bypasses both immigration and security.

On the way back, we'll land from BOM at ZRH, which I assume is not considered "clean" from a security perspective, and we'll have to go through security (and passport control?) In this case, will we enter back in to the First E lounge, and take a limo straight to the plane when it's time to board out of the D gates to LCY? Or do something else?
Old Feb 20, 2019, 8:22 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by PeaSouper
Thanks very much for the advice. I already booked the Swiss free limo to and from LCY - that wasn't very well advertised!

To summarise, when I land at ZRH, one of two things will happen:
1. We'll arrive at a D gate, in which case, I should proceed through immigration into Schengen and into the First A lounge, whereupon we'll get a limo over to the First E lounge (and do Schengen exit control privately).
2. We'll arrive at a remote stand, in which case a limo should take us directly to the First E lounge, which sounds like it bypasses both immigration and security.

On the way back, we'll land from BOM at ZRH, which I assume is not considered "clean" from a security perspective, and we'll have to go through security (and passport control?) In this case, will we enter back in to the First E lounge, and take a limo straight to the plane when it's time to board out of the D gates to LCY? Or do something else?
1 & 2 are to my best knowledge correct.

On your return from BOM at ZRH you will have two options after landing and arriving in most probably E (I‘ve seen D arrivals happen as well). Every F arrival passenger can use the new F arrival service which consists of a car pick up at the airplane (You walk down the stairs from the jetway and over the tarmark to a car which I find to be pretty cool) that then drives you to the FCL A where you‘ll pass immigration and security at a private checkpoint to then wait in the FCL A. Your flight to LCY most certainly departs from gates D, in which case you‘ll have to walk and pass through passport control) or a remote gate in which case you‘ll get a limo (again with private passpirt control) that takes you to the plane.

You could, however, decide to not take that arrival service and walk to the FCL E, passing security on the way and spend time there and then either move to D (no security or passport control) or FCL A (passport control) to take a limo there in the case of a remote gate, I‘m not sure they provide limo pick up directly in E if you leave from a non shengen remote gate...

In the very rare case you‘d arrive in D I would suggest to take the arrival service to FCL A (security and passport check) and then either walk back(passport check) to D or have the limo (private passport check) in case of a remote gate.
PeaSouper likes this.
Old Feb 20, 2019, 9:33 am

A big thank you, Nick Art, for your detailed advice.
Nick Art likes this.
Old Mar 27, 2019, 9:06 pm

Programs: UA-1K, AA-S, HH-G, MR-P
LX is offering EWR-ZRH-DXB with a 45min connection in ZRH. Since LX is offering it I gather they think it is reasonably achievable. That said, has anyone done it or have insight? Thanks in advance.
Old Mar 27, 2019, 9:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH HON***,UA,BA.EK Gold,AV.
Originally Posted by jordieboy
LX is offering EWR-ZRH-DXB with a 45min connection in ZRH. Since LX is offering it I gather they think it is reasonably achievable. That said, has anyone done it or have insight? Thanks in advance.
At ZRH that’s very achievable, you will arrive clean, so no transit security into E, where your DXB flight departs from.
jordieboy likes this.
Old Apr 21, 2019, 7:20 am

Programs: TK Elite+, FB Platinum, BAEC Gold, ALL Diamond, IHG Diamond Royal Ambassador
Hello all!

Booked through an OTA: CDG - ZRH - SIN - AKL
Operated by Swiss on the CDG-ZRH-SIN and Singapore on the last leg. All under same PNR. 2px in J.
Conmection in Zurich is of 45min. Seems short but they ticketed it.

Reading above it seems like we can make it but since this was a multi City itinerary (to get a juicier price) I am wondering If we don't make it the airline is on the hook to rebook, right ?

Thanks

Last edited by ricardojrsousa; Apr 21, 2019 at 7:26 am Reason: Read above it is feasible.
Old Apr 21, 2019, 8:41 am

Yes. But you will most probably make the connection. 45min in ZRH is easy peasy. Even with 30min delay incoming (they will hold the SIN flight for quite a while.. night flight ban in ZRH is rather flexible and not German-like strict as in FRA.
ricardojrsousa likes this.
Old May 7, 2019, 9:56 pm

Trying to feel a little better about YUL-ZRH-VIE-IST in J with 4 people (parents, me (21), brother (10)) with a 50 minute connection in ZRH.

I’ve done E to A before and lines were short at 8AM. I know we take the train (had to wait last time as they were so full). However I’m aware many transatlantic flights are landing 6:15AM at ZRH and possibility that flight is delayed given weather in Canada.

I’m planning to book a separate ticket SAW-DXB 6.5 hours after I land in IST - imperative I make this connection. Although there is a direct ZRH-IST by LX 10:10AM arriving at 2:05PM but who knows how full flights are just before Christmas...
Old May 8, 2019, 12:47 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by tajee165
Trying to feel a little better about YUL-ZRH-VIE-IST in J with 4 people (parents, me (21), brother (10)) with a 50 minute connection in ZRH.

I’ve done E to A before and lines were short at 8AM. I know we take the train (had to wait last time as they were so full). However I’m aware many transatlantic flights are landing 6:15AM at ZRH and possibility that flight is delayed given weather in Canada.

I’m planning to book a separate ticket SAW-DXB 6.5 hours after I land in IST - imperative I make this connection. Although there is a direct ZRH-IST by LX 10:10AM arriving at 2:05PM but who knows how full flights are just before Christmas...
50 min is more than enough in ZRH.
As for the LX flight to IST, LX doesn't fly to IST. Only TK and I've had my fair share of issues trying to book the LX codeshare on TK metal (something with the TK IT prevented me from doing so, even with the agent trying everything he could).
Old May 17, 2019, 5:00 pm

Programs: UA GS, UA 2MM, HH LT Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium
Never having flown through ZRH... Is this reasonable or courting disaster?

JNB to ZRH 45m connection then ZRH to FRA

Operated By SWISS International Airlines
Old May 17, 2019, 9:18 pm

Originally Posted by limey1K

45 min is a comfortable connection time for ZRH. In addition, LX 289 arrives early in the morning and there are several connections to FRA throughout the day. In short, go ahead and book it.
Old May 18, 2019, 3:58 am
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
Originally Posted by limey1K

I had a 45 min connection from LX289 (JNB-ZRH) to a non-schengen flight departing from D in December. My flight arrived a few minutes late but I was sitting close to the exit door, walked fast to catch the Skymetro train just as the doors were closing and made it through security in D in 13 minutes just as boarding for my connecting flight was about to start. As it turned out the departure of my flight to MAN was delayed because we waited for 10 or so passengers connecting from a delayed flight from HKG.

I wouldn’t call a 45 min connection in ZRH between E gates and the main terminal “comfortable” but as you are connecting to FRA it shouldn’t be a disaster even if you miss your booked flight.
Old May 24, 2019, 5:37 am

Dumb question: I've got an overnight layover in ZRH coming up, connecting from a Schengen flight (A gates arrival) to a non-Schengen longhaul flight (E gates departure).

I'm pretty sure that as long as I stay airside when I arrive, I'll be free to wander around the secure part of the terminal -- e.g. to visit the SEN lounge, which is usable as an arrivals lounge since I'm SEN. (Holler if I'm wrong about any of this, though.)

If I exit the secure area to do some shopping landside upon arrival, I will NOT be able to get back through security to the airside until the day of my departing connecting flight, right? That is, the automated boarding pass scanners at the security checkpoint will NOT let me through at 10 pm on day X with a boarding pass for a flight that departs at noon on day X+1?

Thanks!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.