Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Connecting in Zurich [ZRH]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 27, 2012, 2:12 pm

Programs: LH SEN, FB Plat., HH D.
Originally Posted by Koby
I have had many short <long-haul> - ZRH - BCN connections in the last 10 years, and have never missed one. ^
I have never lost any connections long haul/short haul to/from Barcelona, but short haul/short haul, I may have missed 7/8, or even more, in the last 4/5 years. In any case, around 70% of those have been caused by bad weather.
Old Feb 27, 2012, 4:53 pm
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
Originally Posted by more4less
I have never lost any connections long haul/short haul to/from Barcelona, but short haul/short haul, I may have missed 7/8, or even more, in the last 4/5 years. In any case, around 70% of those have been caused by bad weather.
I have only connected to/from BCN via ZRH once (or twice I suppose, outbound and inbound ) shorthaul to shorthaul. It would have been a 40 min connection in each direction.

On the way out I didn't want to spend half a day in the FCL in ZRH having missed the connection, so I flew to ZRH the evening before and stayed overnight before catching a morning flight.

On the way back I didn't care if LX had to put me up in a hotel overnight. My flight from BCN arrived 12 mins late (according to flightstats) and there was a car waiting to drive me to my connecting flight which was parked at an apron position. I'm not sure if I would have made the connection otherwise.
Old Feb 28, 2012, 12:05 am

Programs: LH SEN, FB Plat., HH D.
Originally Posted by NewbieRunner
I have only connected to/from BCN via ZRH once (or twice I suppose, outbound and inbound ) shorthaul to shorthaul. It would have been a 40 min connection in each direction.

On the way out I didn't want to spend half a day in the FCL in ZRH having missed the connection, so I flew to ZRH the evening before and stayed overnight before catching a morning flight.

On the way back I didn't care if LX had to put me up in a hotel overnight. My flight from BCN arrived 12 mins late (according to flightstats) and there was a car waiting to drive me to my connecting flight which was parked at an apron position. I'm not sure if I would have made the connection otherwise.
Sleeping overnight in ZRH is always a solution, but taking in consideration the hefty rates at the Hilton and that we are not so far away, a short trip ends up like going to SIN.

I have done the route, in either directions, 3 times(not 6 )

1) Ex BCN there was a limo waiting for me at ZRH to take me to the MAN flight. ^. I remember sending a letter to LX thanking for the initiative because it was flying in Y and being a lonely SEN.
If I have missed the connection, it would have meant sleeping in ZRH and loosing most of the purpose of the trip
2) Ex MAN morning flight - OK
3) Ex MAN - afternoon flight - I missed the connection in spite of running through ZRH like crazy. They rebooked me on the later flight and I arrived to Barcelona at 22,35pm(not too bad if I was not flying the morning after at 9,30am )

I guess that heavy traffic in MAN = delays and including Switzerland in Schengen made this short connection, specially ex MAN, in practically impossible.
Hopefully now, with the inaguration of the refurbished Pier B, is better.
Old Feb 29, 2012, 12:17 am
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Originally Posted by more4less
Sleeping overnight in ZRH is always a solution, but taking in consideration the hefty rates at the Hilton and that we are not so far away, a short trip ends up like going to SIN.
That's when I stayed overnight in one of the "day rooms". There was no water between something like midnight and 4am (due to the construction works for Pier B) which made the place seem more spartan that it actually was. If I was catching the morning flight ex-MAN I would have stayed at the Hilton in MAN anyway so the cost was not that different.

I have done the route, in either directions, 3 times(not 6 )

1) Ex BCN there was a limo waiting for me at ZRH to take me to the MAN flight. ^. I remember sending a letter to LX thanking for the initiative because it was flying in Y and being a lonely SEN.
If I have missed the connection, it would have meant sleeping in ZRH and loosing most of the purpose of the trip
So they didn't send a limo because it was my birthday. I'm glad a limo is provided for connecting passengers on delayed flights. It's cheaper than putting them up in a hotel I suppose. The limo driver nearly forgot to take me via passport control on the way to the MAN flight. I wonder if anybody would have noticed if my passport had not been scanned?

2) Ex MAN morning flight - OK
I've been on that flight quite a few times and at one time last year it often arrived in ZRH between 10-25 minutes late due to congestion in ZRH. I got to know the landscape around ZRH quite well.

3) Ex MAN - afternoon flight - I missed the connection in spite of running through ZRH like crazy. They rebooked me on the later flight and I arrived to Barcelona at 22,35pm(not too bad if I was not flying the morning after at 9,30am )

I guess that heavy traffic in MAN = delays and including Switzerland in Schengen made this short connection, specially ex MAN, in practically impossible.
Hopefully now, with the inaguration of the refurbished Pier B, is better.
I've been lucky with flights ex-MAN. Delays are usually due to delayed arrivals of incoming flights rather than heavy traffic in MAN, though once they miss their takeoff slot it could be a long wait.

I've flown MAN-ZRH twice since the refurbished Pier B opened. The first time we parked at D41 and it was quite a long trek to reach Grüezi D where buses used to drop us. The second time the evening flight arrived 45 minutes late (due to the late arrival of the incoming flight) and we parked at an apron position. C pax were driven to the familiar Grüezi D before hoi polloi in one of the "new 12-seat Mercedes Sprinters that have been specially fitted out in the SWISS design". It probably took about the same length of time as walking from D41.

The shiny Pier B/D is certainly an improvement on the old non-Schengen B bus gates but there are no moving walkways and the D lounge is still in the same place down the corridor with toilets outside. At least the lounge is now in secure area.
Old Feb 29, 2012, 8:02 pm

I'll be doing PEK-ZRH-MAN in July and the first offer was the 50 min connection, but lucky there is a later flight - means I get to have a few hours on the ground in Zurich. Plane spotting
Old Mar 1, 2012, 12:33 am

Originally Posted by BCIA
I'll be doing PEK-ZRH-MAN in July and the first offer was the 50 min connection, but lucky there is a later flight - means I get to have a few hours on the ground in Zurich. Plane spotting
Welcome to FT, BCIA! I flew PEK-ZRH-MAN a couple of weeks ago but with an overnight stop in ZRH. Since the timing of the PEK-ZRH flight has changed to early morning you have a choice of two connecting flights to MAN.

I haven't been there myself but the new Deck B observation decks (above where MAN flights depart) are supposed to be very good for plane spotting. I believe you will have to clear passport control to get there and it costs 5 CHF to enter. Enjoy your trip!

Last edited by NewbieRunner; Apr 1, 2012 at 4:26 pm Reason: typo
Old Mar 29, 2012, 7:30 am

ZRH Transit

Just booked BOS>ZRH>VLC round-trip on LX (53/2142, 2143/52). The transit time in Zurich is 1:05 outbound and 0:55 on the return. Any concerns with clearing customs and making my way back to catch the next flight, or is Swiss pretty good about planning for this?

Also, what is the transit process at ZRH? Do I need to collect luggage? When is customs cleared inbound/outbound? Will I need to go through security again? Do I remain in the same terminal?

Thanks for any info. Traveling with 2 small kids and want to be prepared.
Old Mar 29, 2012, 10:53 am

Programs: LX SEN, AFKL Platinum, BA Bronze,
Should not be a problem although with two kids it may take longer than if travelling alone. I have made 20 minutes connections myself but it helps if you know where to go. Therefore:

Upon arrival from BOS at an E gate, you will need to follow signs to A/B/D connections, take the train, pass imigration and go to the gate - usually a B gate. Your bags will be checked through to VLC.

On your return it will be the other way around: arrive at a B gate, go through passport control, take the train to the E gates and go to the gate. You can check your bags through to BOS and will have no security check in ZRH as you have gone through security in VLC.

See http://www.miles-and-more.com/mediap...ia_1059940.pdf for more info.
Old Mar 29, 2012, 12:32 pm

Thank you Michiel! Most helpful.
Old Mar 31, 2012, 8:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
on your BOS-ZRH flight they display the gates for a number of onward connections on the IFE during descent stage plus a guide to moving around the airport.

IIRC there is also a ZRH video guide somewhere in the IFE system that you can watch anytime you want. It may also be on the LX website as well so have a loook there.
Old Apr 1, 2012, 1:20 pm

Programs: LH M&M Silver, BA EC, AF FB
Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
on your BOS-ZRH flight they display the gates for a number of onward connections on the IFE during descent stage plus a guide to moving around the airport.
The Gate assignment for connecting Flights during descent is also shown on Airbus operated European Flights (ie as long as it's not an RJ, you should always get it).
Old Apr 1, 2012, 4:24 pm

Programs: SK Gold, AF Gold, Marriott Platinum
^ I have a question regarding those. I have a MUC - ARN flight coming up with a 1h45 stopover in ZRH (arrival 10:40, departure 12:25). Since I'm both inbound and outbound on Schengen flights, how much time would you reckon I'd effectively have to spend on the observation deck?

Last edited by gojko88; Apr 1, 2012 at 4:58 pm
Old Apr 3, 2012, 2:51 am

Programs: Eurostar Carte Blanche, SBB-CFF-FFS GA-AG, SNCF Grand Voyageur LeClub
What is the deal with arriving from the USA and connecting onward to a Schengen destination? I understand that since the new security setup in Zurich there are no more security checks for US->Schengen flights, nor the other way around Schengen-> USA.

Can anyone confirm? Flying USA-ZRH-Schengen in a couple of days.
Old Apr 3, 2012, 4:38 am

Originally Posted by San Gottardo
What is the deal with arriving from the USA and connecting onward to a Schengen destination? I understand that since the new security setup in Zurich there are no more security checks for US->Schengen flights, nor the other way around Schengen-> USA.

Yup, that is the case. Just a passport check and then on to your gate.
Old Apr 9, 2012, 9:52 am

Originally Posted by San Gottardo

Originally Posted by hwmorth
Yup, that is the case. Just a passport check and then on to your gate.
Is this the same for arrival from YUL(Montreal, Canada)?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.