Connecting in Zurich [ZRH]

Old Jun 22, 2012, 5:25 am

Hi, Ive a flight booked on 25th August from Prague arriving in Zurich 16:05 with a 1:10 minute gap before my connecting flight to Birmingham BHX. at 17:15. Im flying with Swiss.

Ive never been to ZRH before and this is my first time making a connecting flight, assuming my flights are on time is the connection time feasible?

Thanks in advance
Old Jun 22, 2012, 5:35 am

Programs: United Premier
The long way home through ZRH, what to do?

Hi guys. first time here as I have never flew on Swiss.

But when checking for a last minute flight home on united.com from PEK-YYZ, the only Business class award travel available was PEK-ZRH (on LX) and then ZRH-YYZ (on AC), more or less a long way home.

I will have 1hr and 30min to make the connection. From reading here, I figure it should be enough time, so I booked the ticket. But after booking it and reading a bit more about ZRH, I find myself drawn in all the terminal/Schengen/non-Schengen information.

Can anyone tell me if arriving from PEK, which terminal will I be arriving on LX and which terminal will I be departing for AC?

Furthermore, will I have to clear immigration/custom? If so, does ZRH have priority lines from business class pax? So maybe I can still have time to buy the chocolate I promised my nephew.

Any comment is greatly appreciated.
Old Jun 22, 2012, 6:42 am
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
Originally Posted by JayEX35

But when checking for a last minute flight home on united.com from PEK-YYZ, the only Business class award travel available was PEK-ZRH (on LX) and then ZRH-YYZ (on AC), more or less a long way home.

I will have 1hr and 30min to make the connection. From reading here, I figure it should be enough time, so I booked the ticket. But after booking it and reading a bit more about ZRH, I find myself drawn in all the terminal/Schengen/non-Schengen information.

Can anyone tell me if arriving from PEK, which terminal will I be arriving on LX and which terminal will I be departing for AC?

Furthermore, will I have to clear immigration/custom? If so, does ZRH have priority lines from business class pax? So maybe I can still have time to buy the chocolate I promised my nephew.

Both your LX flight from PEK and AC flight to YYZ use E terminal/gates. You will need to clear transfer security but there's no need for passport control or customs. 1 hour 30 minutes should be more than enough and you will have time to buy chocolate!
Old Jun 22, 2012, 7:02 am

Enjoy the flight - they´ve got a very nice product in business
Old Jun 22, 2012, 7:04 am
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Originally Posted by avaratoth
Hi, Ive a flight booked on 25th August from Prague arriving in Zurich 16:05 with a 1:10 minute gap before my connecting flight to Birmingham BHX. at 17:15. Im flying with Swiss.

Ive never been to ZRH before and this is my first time making a connecting flight, assuming my flights are on time is the connection time feasible?

Thanks in advance
Welcome to FT, avaratoth!

1 hour 10 mins should be fine for this connection. Your flight from PRG will arrive at an A gate, and your flight to BHX will depart from a D gate. From your arrival gate just follow the signs for D gates. The route will take you through passport control but no security.
Old Jun 22, 2012, 7:36 am

Programs: United Premier
Originally Posted by NewbieRunner
Both your LX flight from PEK and AC flight to YYZ use E terminal/gates. You will need to clear transfer security but there's no need for passport control or customs. 1 hour 30 minutes should be more than enough and you will have time to buy chocolate!
Thanks! That's great news!!! Well, not so much for my brother as he has been trying to keep the sweets away from his kids!

Originally Posted by hwmorth
Enjoy the flight - they´ve got a very nice product in business
Thanks. I have been always flying with either United or AC because they are usually the fastest one. But, there's a first for everything and I can't wait to try some Swiss service finesse!
Old Jun 23, 2012, 2:07 am

1 hour 10 mins should be fine for this connection. Your flight from PRG will arrive at an A gate, and your flight to BHX will depart from a D gate. From your arrival gate just follow the signs for D gates. The route will take you through passport control but no security.
Thanks very much for your help - you've certainly put my mind at rest
Old Jun 23, 2012, 5:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You will be absolutely fine and as you are in transit without entering a Schengen country there is no passport control nor customs.

You will both arrive and depart from Terminal E.

90 minutes will give you some time also at the Panorama Lounge which you can access due to your business class ticket and which is located on the top floor of Terminal E
Old Jul 10, 2012, 11:17 pm

Programs: UA *G MM
NRT-ZRH-ARN (Stockholm) with 45 minute connection. I did the reverse (50 min) with no problem and the flight was 10 min late. However, here I have to go through security? If I understand the new system correctly an "approved" country allows connecting in Europe without security. So USA-ZRH-XXX does not require security in ZRH. What about Japan?
Old Jul 11, 2012, 12:41 am

Originally Posted by gnaget
NRT-ZRH-ARN (Stockholm) with 45 minute connection. I did the reverse (50 min) with no problem and the flight was 10 min late. However, here I have to go through security? If I understand the new system correctly an "approved" country allows connecting in Europe without security. So USA-ZRH-XXX does not require security in ZRH. What about Japan?
Japan isn't one of the approved "safe" countries, so you will have to clear security before boarding Heidi's train. You will also go through passport control on arrival in Pier A.

In my experience (admittedly only once) arrivals from the US cannot escape transit security either unless the flight arrives at a D gate.
Old Jul 16, 2012, 11:24 am

Programs: AA Gold, UA MM 1K, UK Gold, Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat Amb
is 50min enough to transfer at ZRH [the new 2/2012- ZRH connection thread]

I just wanted to chime in my recent experience. 50 mins was enough to transit for me but not for my bags.
Old Jul 16, 2012, 6:01 pm

Programs: DL PM / SPG Gold
Originally Posted by specialeffects
I just wanted to chime in my recent experience. 50 mins was enough to transit for me but not for my bags.
Did you arrive and depart from E?

Anyone else have data points on this? I have a 45 minute connection EWR(UA)-ZRH(LX)-NBO and as I'm headed to JRO to climb Kilimanjaro I'd hate to lose my luggage.

David
Old Jul 18, 2012, 12:44 am

Programs: LX SEN, AFKL Platinum, BA Bronze,
Originally Posted by dgilman
Did you arrive and depart from E?

Anyone else have data points on this? I have a 45 minute connection EWR(UA)-ZRH(LX)-NBO and as I'm headed to JRO to climb Kilimanjaro I'd hate to lose my luggage.

David
45 minutes should be fine, also for luggage, but things can occasionally go wrong, with any airline or any airport. Therefore, as always, bring critical ie non-replaceable items on board. Bring your hiking/climbing boots as hand baggage or wear them on the plane...

OT: I saw someone wearing full skiing gear on a flight to GVA last winter. He did take his helmet, goggles and ski boots off when on board!
Old Jul 24, 2012, 1:37 am
DUS

Programs: LH HON, Hilton Diamond

1 hour 10 mins should be fine for this connection. Your flight from PRG will arrive at an A gate, and your flight to BHX will depart from a D gate.
Yes, thats true for 99.99% of the flights so the OP will be fine!

Just out of curiosity: my flights from the UK to ZRH all arrived at the D-Gates. Well, with the exception of my flight from LHR last weekend when much to my surprise the A319 docked at the far end of the E-Gates opposite SQ's A380.

Does anyone know why they have an LX flight from Heathrow dock at that terminal rather than at B/D?
Old Jul 24, 2012, 2:45 am

Originally Posted by DUS
Does anyone know why they have an LX flight from Heathrow dock at that terminal rather than at B/D?
Hard to say, but it's been done in the past, when the inbound flight is running late and is carrying several transfer passengers with a long-haul flight departing from E. The times I've seen it happen it was with one of the evening LHR or MAN arrivals.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.