Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Connecting in Zurich [ZRH]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 28, 2019, 11:59 pm

Flights to LHR will (most probably) leave from the D Gates. That means a short walking distance only from the security check (which itself is just about 3min from the Arrivals lounge) but with immigration in between.

I'd leave the Arrival lounge 45min before departure, to leave ample time (and if everything goes smooth, you can still wait couple minutes in the LX lounge at the D gates) for security as well as immigration.
Old Jan 29, 2019, 11:20 am

I have a business class flight EWR - ZRH - FCO. EWR - ZRH flight is scheduled to arrive at 11:40 and ZRH-FCO flight departs only 60 minutes later at 12:40. I am a family of 5 traveling with 3 kids under age 6. Will this connection be doable?
Old Jan 29, 2019, 11:24 am

Originally Posted by TJtv
I have a business class flight EWR - ZRH - FCO. EWR - ZRH flight is scheduled to arrive at 11:40 and ZRH-FCO flight departs only 60 minutes later at 12:40. I am a family of 5 traveling with 3 kids under age 6. Will this connection be doable?
It is perfectly doable but you won't have time to spare.
Old Jan 29, 2019, 12:36 pm

Originally Posted by mmff
It is perfectly doable but you won't have time to spare.
Thanks. Would gate checking a stroller/carseat, and therefore having to wait for it to to be returned to me at the gate in ZRH, make it much more difficult to complete the connection?
Old Jan 29, 2019, 2:07 pm

Originally Posted by TJtv
Thanks. Would gate checking a stroller/carseat, and therefore having to wait for it to to be returned to me at the gate in ZRH, make it much more difficult to complete the connection?
IME they do not return it to you at ZRH. It will be transferred to the other plane along with your checked luggage and delivered at the gate at FCO. You should probably bring a sling or baby carrier if your little one(s) cannot walk yet.
Old Jan 29, 2019, 4:02 pm

Originally Posted by mmff
IME they do not return it to you at ZRH. It will be transferred to the other plane along with your checked luggage and delivered at the gate at FCO. You should probably bring a sling or baby carrier if your little one(s) cannot walk yet.
Thanks for the help. That's actually a much better situation, one less thing to worry about.
Old Feb 3, 2019, 6:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Do you have to clear security again at ZRH? I’m flying MAD-ZRH-ORD.
Old Feb 3, 2019, 7:51 am

No you don’t.
SkyTeam777 likes this.
Old Feb 7, 2019, 2:00 pm

Hi,
got a connection in November, coming in from LHR onwards to DEL AND back, all in J, more or less a 4 hour connection.
I know that will be plenty of time, but only ever ha ing flown direct I assume I'll be able to check luggage straight through to DEL from LHR? Also, how easy is a transfer once we get to ZRH?
Old Feb 7, 2019, 2:18 pm

Assuming Brexit won't be so disastrious that flights between Europe and UK still happen, yes, checkin will label your luggage to DEL

You'll probably arrive from London at the D Gates (Non Schengen) and depart to India from Non Schengen E Gates. That means passing through security once stepping off the connecting train in E Gates. (There is also a "clean" way to transfer D to E and vice versa if you arrive from a clean country - Pre-Brexit, the UK is considered so. If you're holding a Schengen (unlimited) Visa, you can take that route as well if you don't want to pass through security (It's D->A->E, or E->A->D). For the vice versa connection Ex-India, security is mandatory.

The business lounge at the E Gates is acceptable, and for a 4hr connection in November, I'd probably not feel like hitting the city or even go landside unless you fancy some chocolate or other swiss delicacies to bring with you.
chris63 and simon1argyle like this.
Old Feb 7, 2019, 3:01 pm

Thank you for the detailed reply Yuropflyer
Old Feb 15, 2019, 2:48 pm

Programs: LH Sen, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Viennafly
I would not worry too much, the ZRH-GRU/HKG/TLV/JNB/SIN flights are the last ones departing ZRH and very often wait for connecting passengers. It is also very likely that you will not be the only one that connects from LX327, also increasing the chances that LX138 will wait. I have personally made 25-30 min connections for ZRH-SIN and ZRH-JNB flights leaving at the same time than ZRH-HKG without a problem. If the connection is really tight, LX provides a direct transfer from your flight to Terminal E where LX138 typically departs. Of course, if LX327 is 2 hours late, then it is unlikely that LX138 will wait.
Concerning your questions to be put on an earlier flight, LX typically does not do this for free (maybe if you are HON), unless you have a ticket that allows rebooking and the booking class on the earlier flight is available (and depending on the rebooking conditions, you pay the fee).
On 3 Feb LX735 from AMS was delayed one hour due to snow in ZRH, leaving less than 30 minutes to connect to LX8090 (WK90) for EZE.
However LX did indeed provide a direct transfer for 11 pax from the airbridge to passport control and then to the E gate where they were holding our flight.
So thank you LX.
Old Feb 17, 2019, 1:16 pm

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by Viennafly
I would not worry too much, the ZRH-GRU/HKG/TLV/JNB/SIN flights are the last ones departing ZRH and very often wait for connecting passengers. It is also very likely that you will not be the only one that connects from LX327, also increasing the chances that LX138 will wait. I have personally made 25-30 min connections for ZRH-SIN and ZRH-JNB flights leaving at the same time than ZRH-HKG without a problem. If the connection is really tight, LX provides a direct transfer from your flight to Terminal E where LX138 typically departs. Of course, if LX327 is 2 hours late, then it is unlikely that LX138 will wait.
Concerning your questions to be put on an earlier flight, LX typically does not do this for free (maybe if you are HON), unless you have a ticket that allows rebooking and the booking class on the earlier flight is available (and depending on the rebooking conditions, you pay the fee).
Just wanted to post my experience of ZRH transfer for the benefit of others.

My LHR-ZRH flight landed at an E gate. My connecting flight to HKG was also from an E gate. From plane to the gate of my connecting flight was less than 2 mins. With my 75 minute connection time, I managed 45 minutes in the LX E Terminal lounge.

For inbound, my HKG-ZRH landed at an E gate. My connecting flight to LHR was from a D gate. From the plane, it was a short walk to the automated train, short train trip and then through security. Total time, 13 minutes. With a 60 minute connection time, I managed to spend 25 minutes in the LX D Terminal lounge to grab a coffee and some breakfast.

Not sure if I was just very lucky, but I have to say that connecting at ZRH was a breeze. Signage was good and security was efficient.
Old Feb 17, 2019, 1:32 pm
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
Originally Posted by as38
Just wanted to post my experience of ZRH transfer for the benefit of others.

My LHR-ZRH flight landed at an E gate. My connecting flight to HKG was also from an E gate. From plane to the gate of my connecting flight was less than 2 mins. With my 75 minute connection time, I managed 45 minutes in the LX E Terminal lounge.

For inbound, my HKG-ZRH landed at an E gate. My connecting flight to LHR was from a D gate. From the plane, it was a short walk to the automated train, short train trip and then through security. Total time, 13 minutes. With a 60 minute connection time, I managed to spend 25 minutes in the LX D Terminal lounge to grab a coffee and some breakfast.

Not sure if I was just very lucky, but I have to say that connecting at ZRH was a breeze. Signage was good and security was efficient.
Which airline(s) were you flying LHR-ZRH and ZRH-LHR?

Edited to add: I’ve just seen your earlier post and found that you were on LX from LHR to ZRH. I was interested because I’ve never arrived in E when flying from the UK (MAN) to ZRH on LX. I wonder if there were many transfer passengers on your flight.

Last edited by NewbieRunner; Feb 17, 2019 at 1:43 pm
Old Feb 17, 2019, 2:48 pm

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by NewbieRunner
Which airline(s) were you flying LHR-ZRH and ZRH-LHR?

Edited to add: I’ve just seen your earlier post and found that you were on LX from LHR to ZRH. I was interested because I’ve never arrived in E when flying from the UK (MAN) to ZRH on LX. I wonder if there were many transfer passengers on your flight.
Yes, I was on LX, and was expecting to land in D. But I saw at least two other business passengers who were also connecting to HKG.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.