Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Connecting in Zurich [ZRH]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 29, 2012, 1:50 pm

Originally Posted by NewbieRunner
The ZRH transfer guide linked in my previous post does not claim that arrivals from the US do not have to re-clear security.
OK, now that I have looked at the document more closely, it indeed only mentions the security bypass for OSS countries for flights docking at B - however the footnote on the same page is very confusing:
"+OSS indicates “One Stop Security” countries. This category includes all EU countries as well as Iceland, Norway, Switzerland, UK and USA. Passengers on aircraft arriving from these countries are not required to clear any further security check as long as their flight arrives directly at a dock."

So, I plead extenuating circumstances on that one

If arriving in E the options are exactly as ORDinary guy described in post #10. But some flights from the US apparently dock at a D gate, in which case passengers are presumably treated in the same way as those arriving from the UK (non-Schengen, OSS country).
Thanks for that, hadn't scrolled through the entire thread before posting. So I did miss a turnoff while still in E - not surprised, as I just headed for the train on autopilot like I always do. Now I know!
Old Apr 29, 2012, 5:46 pm
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Andre
OK, now that I have looked at the document more closely, it indeed only mentions the security bypass for OSS countries for flights docking at B - however the footnote on the same page is very confusing:
"+OSS indicates “One Stop Security” countries. This category includes all EU countries as well as Iceland, Norway, Switzerland, UK and USA. Passengers on aircraft arriving from these countries are not required to clear any further security check as long as their flight arrives directly at a dock."

So, I plead extenuating circumstances on that one
And I'm not convinced that even if your flight arrives directly at Dock B you can transfer to intercontinental flights without going through security.

So I did miss a turnoff while still in E - not surprised, as I just headed for the train on autopilot like I always do. Now I know!
No, I don't think you missed a turnoff unless you wanted to go to "Exit Zurich". I once did it (coming from Dock B) and ended up having to walk the whole length of the baggage claim hall.

I thought transfer in ZRH was going to be more straightforward but I'm not so sure now.
Old Apr 30, 2012, 7:12 am

No, I don't think you missed a turnoff unless you wanted to go to "Exit Zurich". I once did it (coming from Dock B) and ended up having to walk the whole length of the baggage claim hall.
I'm almost certain that I did miss a turnoff to a transit security checkpoint located in E - otherwise connecting passengers who are both arriving in, and departing from, that remote concourse would need to take the heidi train back and forth just to get through security.

I thought transfer in ZRH was going to be more straightforward but I'm not so sure now.
No kidding, and not just for connections... The person behind me at the transit security checkpoint near the D gates actually wanted to exit the airport, and hadn't noticed that she was headed the wrong way...
Old May 2, 2012, 8:18 am

Programs: United Gold, Fairmont Platinum
Your UA flight will almost certainly arrive at an E gate and your LX flight will also depart from an E gate. There's no need for passport control and strictly speaking no security check, but they may not be able to separate passengers arriving from the US (who should not need to clear security) from other passengers and you may need to go through security. As there's no need to change terminals 45 mins should be fine.
Wow..well I am in the istanbul lounge...yep you read that correct..that was not in my plan. I got out of my EWR-ZUR flight...right away i go out and the lady says i miss the flight, she says it rudely and I am a bit annoyed and she tells me this as I am running out hoping to catch it and then when I say what should i do next she replies saying that maybe if i wasn't running i would've heard her. I say are you kidding me, do you not get i am frustrated and trying to just make a close flight, she makes a bad face and turns to the next passenger...I don't know if its because I am young and not dressed well, but for a first class ticket...not the type you would be welcome too

well I goto the transit desk...no one is apologetic and more so apathetic. They just point fingers elsewhere say here is your option, take it or leave it
so instead of the first class 3 cabin direct I paid for on swiss and united. I gooto istanbul in a business class that is simialr to an economy seat and now am waiting to go to another connection. Worst part is, I get to dar es salam a day late, miss my only meeting there, paid for a hotel which i will lose a lot of money on, and I have to goto zanzibar now anyway which they refused to root me t oo. They just did not want to deal with me and I Was as polite as can be. I am nottoo sensitive of a passenger, but I can honestly say I felt insulted and like a worthless passneger from the way they treated me and bounced me around, the attitude made all the difference.
Ultimately i am powerless, this is the 2nd issue I had with united(I booked a first class with them in march and the swiss air leg from cairo-zurich switched planes bc of an issue on their schedule so i paid for a first class fare 3 cabin, once again i got the same 2 cabin economy like business) and united was unapologetic and pointing fingers at swiss air.
I was with continental for a while and was previously a platinum there. I am sodisapointed they don't even reply to my email complains and I don't know who to talk to.
thanks for letting me vent and i figure if anyone knows what to do or how to handle this situation its you guys.

thanks in advance
Old May 2, 2012, 2:35 pm

Programs: LH M&M Silver, BA EC, AF FB
Originally Posted by ashcoza
Wow..well I am in the istanbul lounge...yep you read that correct..that was not in my plan. I got out of my EWR-ZUR flight...right away i go out and the lady says i miss the flight, she says it rudely and I am a bit annoyed and she tells me this as I am running out hoping to catch it and then when I say what should i do next she replies saying that maybe if i wasn't running i would've heard her. I say are you kidding me, do you not get i am frustrated and trying to just make a close flight, she makes a bad face and turns to the next passenger...I don't know if its because I am young and not dressed well, but for a first class ticket...not the type you would be welcome too

well I goto the transit desk...no one is apologetic and more so apathetic. They just point fingers elsewhere say here is your option, take it or leave it
so instead of the first class 3 cabin direct I paid for on swiss and united. I gooto istanbul in a business class that is simialr to an economy seat and now am waiting to go to another connection. Worst part is, I get to dar es salam a day late, miss my only meeting there, paid for a hotel which i will lose a lot of money on, and I have to goto zanzibar now anyway which they refused to root me t oo. They just did not want to deal with me and I Was as polite as can be. I am nottoo sensitive of a passenger, but I can honestly say I felt insulted and like a worthless passneger from the way they treated me and bounced me around, the attitude made all the difference.
Ultimately i am powerless, this is the 2nd issue I had with united(I booked a first class with them in march and the swiss air leg from cairo-zurich switched planes bc of an issue on their schedule so i paid for a first class fare 3 cabin, once again i got the same 2 cabin economy like business) and united was unapologetic and pointing fingers at swiss air.
I was with continental for a while and was previously a platinum there. I am sodisapointed they don't even reply to my email complains and I don't know who to talk to.
thanks for letting me vent and i figure if anyone knows what to do or how to handle this situation its you guys.

thanks in advance
Bad luck with the Connection, but there's not a lot LX can do with a 45 minute connection when you have a 45 minute delay arriving into ZRH.
The fact it was a redemption Ticket may have somewhat limited the rebooking/rerouting clauses.
Old May 3, 2012, 2:50 am

Had a 53 minute connection yesterday. I made it along with 1/2 checked bags
Old May 3, 2012, 3:37 am

Programs: United Gold, Fairmont Platinum
Originally Posted by matt in france
Bad luck with the Connection, but there's not a lot LX can do with a 45 minute connection when you have a 45 minute delay arriving into ZRH.
The fact it was a redemption Ticket may have somewhat limited the rebooking/rerouting clauses.
WAs not just that, I understand issues happen with a tight schedule, but the attitude and service i received afterward was down right a slap in the face. From being ignored, just having a take it or leave it attitude that seemedl ike they felt they were doing me a favor just by talking to the m
get this, right now i am stiill in tanzania airport bc my bags never came through. I have been in transit for 2 days, no apologies, nothing, just people saying it wasn't my fault. Paid for a first class 3 cabin fare, ended up on a business for 3 bad connections on a flgiht that was just as good as economy on the regional turkish airlines flights. Missed my meetings pand purpose of trip. They wouldn't reissue me to zanzibar and didn't give it a thought so i lost hotel moeny, missed my meeting, had to rebook a flight to zanzibar and on top of that...they lost my bag so here i am still in the airport

just a disgrace of a trip if I have ever seen one
Old May 8, 2012, 1:04 am

Programs: BA Gold, LH FTL, KL/AF Ivory
Just did a 45 minute connection GVA-ZRH-SIN with the GVA-ZRH plane being parked at an apron stand (so bus). Fortunately a separate bus for C pax, so left the stand fairly quickly.
The biggest delay was at passport control. That seemed to be very slow, with every single passport/id-card being scanned, so about 30 seconds per pax (even the CH/EU line). I guess I was there 3 to 4 minutes, but it's the first time I've had a wait of any kind there.
A Heidi train pulled into the platform just as I got to it, but they seemed to be cycling them at 3 minute intervals.
Total time from touchdown to departure gate was about 25 minutes.
Old May 12, 2012, 9:18 am

Programs: AA Gold, UA MM 1K, UK Gold, Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat Amb
BOS-ZRH-SIN

Just want to confirm with the regulars if 50 mins is enough for BOS-ZRH (LX) - SIN (SQ)?
Old May 12, 2012, 9:48 am

Originally Posted by specialeffects
Just want to confirm with the regulars if 50 mins is enough for BOS-ZRH (LX) - SIN (SQ)?
If flights are on time you can make it. Both flights leave from the E gates. But the longer the delay of your inbound the more risky.
On separate tickets i would not try.

On the same tickt you could, since the SQ flights leaves pretty early. There are several connections later in the day from ZRH via BKK, DOH, FRA etc.
Old May 12, 2012, 12:37 pm

Programs: LX M&M; DL SkyMiles; AA Advantage
I will arrive with LX in ZRH from GVA, in C and continue with LX in F to EWR. Connection time is short with 40min.
Can I expect any transfer or service re. my continuing flight with LX in F? I'm LX SEN if that helps.

thanks
Old May 12, 2012, 7:06 pm

Programs: AA Gold, UA MM 1K, UK Gold, Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat Amb
Originally Posted by Unterwegs
If flights are on time you can make it. Both flights leave from the E gates. But the longer the delay of your inbound the more risky.
On separate tickets i would not try.

On the same tickt you could, since the SQ flights leaves pretty early. There are several connections later in the day from ZRH via BKK, DOH, FRA etc.
Thanks.
Old May 12, 2012, 7:40 pm
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
Originally Posted by MSportler
I will arrive with LX in ZRH from GVA, in C and continue with LX in F to EWR. Connection time is short with 40min.
Can I expect any transfer or service re. my continuing flight with LX in F? I'm LX SEN if that helps.

thanks
LX has special transfer arrangements for F pax between GVA and ZRH. They also provide direct limousine transfer for F pax with less than 40 min transit time in ZRH.

http://www.lufthansa.com/online/port...=18002#ancAbT3

If your incoming flight is late or arrives at a non-gate position, you are likely to be collected and driven to your connecting flight (via passport control). However if your flight arrives at a gate on time, you may have to make your own way to the FCL or Dock E.
Old May 14, 2012, 6:48 pm

Programs: LX M&M; DL SkyMiles; AA Advantage
LX has special transfer arrangements for F pax between GVA and ZRH. They also provide direct limousine transfer for F pax with less than 40 min transit time in ZRH.

http://www.lufthansa.com/online/port...=18002#ancAbT3

If your incoming flight is late or arrives at a non-gate position, you are likely to be collected and driven to your connecting flight (via passport control). However if your flight arrives at a gate on time, you may have to make your own way to the FCL or Dock E.
Thanks Gentleman,
I was not sure about this procedure, but you just confirmed it. ^
Old May 20, 2012, 9:07 am

Programs: 1P, AA EXP, SPG Gold
This is a very useful thread. I'm a little surprised there aren't more posts with other experiences. I'm helping a friend and his wife on an award ticket for USA-ZRH-CDG and thinking that 55 minutes is just pushing it since they are checking bags. Yes, chances are they would make it, but why start out your vacation worried about a connection in a new airport (for them)?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.