FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Swiss International Air Lines (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/swiss-international-air-lines-502/)
-   -   Connecting in Zurich [ZRH] (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/swiss-international-air-lines/1313900-connecting-zurich-zrh.html)

NewbieRunner Apr 9, 2012 12:20 pm

Originally Posted by concol (Post 18360027)
Is this the same for arrival from YUL(Montreal, Canada)?

No. AFAIK Canada isn't an OSS (one-stop security) country.

ORDinary guy Apr 11, 2012 10:24 am

Not so in our experience

Originally Posted by hwmorth (Post 18324787)
Yup, that is the case. Just a passport check and then on to your gate.

We had a different experience on 19 Mar.

Arrived on UA from IAD at E gates, but this is also where LX arrivals from the US are located.

Coming off the jetway at E42, we exited directly onto the mezzanine level of the E terminal. We had two options. One was signposted for transfers to A, B, and E gates. The other was for transfers to D gates and Exit Zurich.

We were heading for the A gates, so we followed this direction which fed into a security check on the same level (mezzanine of E terminal). After security, transfer passengers to E proceeded up by escalator or lift to the E gates while A/B passengers headed down to the secure platform for the Heidi train. On arrival at the main terminal, we crossed the Schengen border at passport control and then were free to head towards the A or B gates.

The direction for D and Exit led directly down to the Heidi train platform without a security check. However, it is my understanding that D passengers undergo a transfer security check on arriving at the D gates through the new hallway from the train. Can anyone verify this?

There was a report that on rare occasions a USA flight on LX will arrive at the D gates, in which passengers were released directly into the D departures area without a security check as can happen on flights from UK. In theory, they could do the same over at the E gates, directing passengers into the upper level E-departures concourse off the jetbridge. But they did not do that on our flight. Could be a UA vs LX difference, not sure....

San Gottardo Apr 11, 2012 10:57 am

Originally Posted by ORDinary guy (Post 18373421)
We had a different experience on 19 Mar.

Arrived on UA from IAD at E gates, but this is also where LX arrivals from the US are located.

Coming off the jetway at E42, we exited directly onto the mezzanine level of the E terminal. We had two options. One was signposted for transfers to A, B, and E gates. The other was for transfers to D gates and Exit Zurich.

We were heading for the A gates, so we followed this direction which fed into a security check on the same level (mezzanine of E terminal). After security, transfer passengers to E proceeded up by escalator or lift to the E gates while A/B passengers headed down to the secure platform for the Heidi train. On arrival at the main terminal, we crossed the Schengen border at passport control and then were free to head towards the A or B gates.

The direction for D and Exit led directly down to the Heidi train platform without a security check. However, it is my understanding that D passengers undergo a transfer security check on arriving at the D gates through the new hallway from the train. Can anyone verify this?

There was a report that on rare occasions a USA flight on LX will arrive at the D gates, in which passengers were released directly into the D departures area without a security check as can happen on flights from UK. In theory, they could do the same over at the E gates, directing passengers into the upper level E-departures concourse off the jetbridge. But they did not do that on our flight. Could be a UA vs LX difference, not sure....

Arriving from JFK a couple of days ago we indeed de-planed at the D gates. Quick passport control and off we went for our connecting flight at A66

airoli Apr 11, 2012 12:07 pm

Originally Posted by ORDinary guy (Post 18373421)
However, it is my understanding that D passengers undergo a transfer security check on arriving at the D gates through the new hallway from the train. Can anyone verify this?

That is correct.

San Gottardo Apr 11, 2012 2:08 pm

So in other words: when arriving at Dock E, even if arriving from the USA, one always has to go through a security control when transfering? The only route out of Dock E which does not require a security check is the exit to Zurich?

Bummer, I thought that the US was considered safe and wouldn't require any more security checks for transfers. Apparently that is only the case when arriving on a flight from the USA at Dock D.

airoli Apr 11, 2012 6:58 pm

Originally Posted by San Gottardo (Post 18375098)
Apparently that is only the case when arriving on a flight from the USA at Dock D.

To make this even more confusing: My last flight from YUL (late March) arrived at Dock D, too. I went for the Exit ZRH, but I wonder if connecting passengers were required to re-clear security or not? Or is Canada considered "safe" as well?

PittDoc Apr 15, 2012 11:01 am

Another transit related question

LYS-ZRH on Helvetic, with 1h 5m scheduled connection to ZRH-ORD on LX F.

Assuming the usual arrival and departure terminals. Will I arrive in Term A and then have time for a brief visit to the LX F lounge or should I go straight to Term E?

I'm guessing time to transfer to E, security, and passport control makes a lounge stop risky.

MichielR Apr 15, 2012 11:06 am

Originally Posted by PittDoc (Post 18397612)
LYS-ZRH on Helvetic, with 1h 5m scheduled connection to ZRH-ORD on LX F.

Assuming the usual arrival and departure terminals. Will I arrive in Term A and then have time for a brief visit to the LX F lounge or should I go straight to Term E?

I'm guessing time to transfer to E, security, and passport control makes a lounge stop risky.

As you will just about pass by the F lounge, just go up and check. Worst case they will offer you the next shuttle to E with the F passport check before getting on the minibus. Best case you will have 15 or 20 min in the lounge. You should not have security after arriving from LYS.

ashcoza Apr 27, 2012 9:09 pm

I am flying First Class Swissair(through miles) and my zurich stopover is only 45 minutes...is it true there is some shuttle service that goes from plane to plane for first? Please let me know, thanks!

NewbieRunner Apr 28, 2012 3:08 am

Originally Posted by ashcoza (Post 18474306)
I am flying First Class Swissair(through miles) and my zurich stopover is only 45 minutes...is it true there is some shuttle service that goes from plane to plane for first? Please let me know, thanks!

Welcome to FT, ashcoza!

There is no special arrangement for First Class passengers transferring in ZRH, but if it's a very tight connection they usually provide a car to drive you between the flights. Are you connecting from longhaul F to longhaul F (in which case a car may not be necessary)? If you can tell us where you are flying from/to it might be possible to provide more information.

ashcoza Apr 28, 2012 12:12 pm

This site is so helpful, thanks!

I am coming from NYC on First class from United then first class to tanzania on swiss...so its different airlines but i booked it all under miles in united so i don't know if they will plan it out or what. 45 minutes is probably the fastest i have ever seen for a connection, especially on international

NewbieRunner Apr 28, 2012 1:04 pm

Originally Posted by ashcoza (Post 18476650)
This site is so helpful, thanks!

I am coming from NYC on First class from United then first class to tanzania on swiss...so its different airlines but i booked it all under miles in united so i don't know if they will plan it out or what. 45 minutes is probably the fastest i have ever seen for a connection, especially on international

Your UA flight will almost certainly arrive at an E gate and your LX flight will also depart from an E gate. There's no need for passport control and strictly speaking no security check, but they may not be able to separate passengers arriving from the US (who should not need to clear security) from other passengers and you may need to go through security. As there's no need to change terminals 45 mins should be fine.

NewbieRunner Apr 28, 2012 5:30 pm

Is the new ZRH transfer guide correct?

I am confused! According to the ZRH transfer guide available on M&M website Europe non-Schengen to intercontinental connections should work as follows:

• Security check immediately on arrival at Dock B (Transfer zone D), passengers arriving from an OSS country+ do not have to go through a security check if arriving directly at Dock B
• No passport check required
• Stay at Panorama Lounge Dock E possible
• Onward flight from Dock E

+OSS indicates "One Stop Security" countries. This category includes all EU countries as well as Iceland, Norway, Switzerland, UK and USA. Passengers on aircraft arriving from these countries are not required to clear any further security check as long as their flight arrives directly at a dock.
I've done UK (an OSS country) to intercontinental connections 3 times since the new Pier B/D and central security opened. The first two times I went through passport control in ZRH on purpose but a couple of weeks ago I decided to go directly to Dock E as my incoming flight arrived late.

It was an apron arrival but the plane parked close to Dock B and a ride on the "Business bus" was probably quicker than walking from D41 to Grüezi D. What I still don't understand is once inside Grüezi D, the escalator down to the passport control area and another escalator down to the SkyMetro platform seemed to be exactly the same whether you arrived at a gate or by bus. If you bear left when you reach the passport control area and go down the escalator you end up on the platform for the "unclean" carriage of Heidi's train. Once in Dock E I had to follow some circuitous route to security check before going up to the departure level. I could not see how arriving directly at a gate would have avoided security in Dock E.

Has anyone arriving from the UK and connecting to intercontinental managed to transfer in ZRH without having to re-clear security?

Andre Apr 29, 2012 9:58 am

Originally Posted by NewbieRunner (Post 18477898)
Has anyone arriving from the UK and connecting to intercontinental managed to transfer in ZRH without having to re-clear security?

Same question from me, arriving from the US and connecting to GVA today, after taking the Heidi train, I only saw 2 choices: exit Zurich and gates A/B/D. Chose the latter, and ended up at a security checkpoint. Right afterwards, there was an escalator and elevators for the A gates, which took you to passport control.

Did I somehow miss an earlier turnoff for the A gates, before the transit security checkpoint? There was no priority lane at the transit security checkpoint, so exit Zurich might actually be a better option at peak times...

NewbieRunner Apr 29, 2012 11:10 am

Originally Posted by Andre (Post 18480453)
Same question from me, arriving from the US and connecting to GVA today, after taking the Heidi train, I only saw 2 choices: exit Zurich and gates A/B/D. Chose the latter, and ended up at a security checkpoint. Right afterwards, there was an escalator and elevators for the A gates, which took you to passport control.

Did I somehow miss an earlier turnoff for the A gates, before the transit security checkpoint? There was no priority lane at the transit security checkpoint, so exit Zurich might actually be a better option at peak times...

The ZRH transfer guide linked in my previous post does not claim that arrivals from the US do not have to re-clear security.

From intercontinental to A/B/E :
• Security check immediately on arrival at Dock E

From intercontinental to D:
• Skymetro transfer to Airside Center, connecting corridor directly to Dock B (D Gates)
• Security check required, but no passport check
If arriving in E the options are exactly as ORDinary guy described in post #10. But some flights from the US apparently dock at a D gate, in which case passengers are presumably treated in the same way as those arriving from the UK (non-Schengen, OSS country).

Yes, the lack of priority lanes for transit security is :td:.