FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Swiss International Air Lines (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/swiss-international-air-lines-502/)
-   -   Connecting in Zurich [ZRH] (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/swiss-international-air-lines/1313900-connecting-zurich-zrh.html)

NewbieRunner Jun 16, 2013 9:52 am

Originally Posted by zux85 (Post 20931891)
Thanks for your reply. You got the flights right on the nose except for the UA flight which is 953 (flights are in a few mos and im just planning i advance).

It is one ticket but it is a UA award ticket. Im not quite sure what they would do if we missed one of the flights and certainly dont want to spend so many miles and end up in economy;)
What are the chances they pick us up? Is it something i can pay for in advance or do they just pick up any latecomers no matter the class?

I was picked up from an arriving Schengen flight once and was driven to a connecting flight to the UK but it could have been due to my status at the time and the fact it was the last flight of the day. Other FTers have reported being picked up when their arriving flight was late. I have also seen passengers being picked up and driven to their connecting flights in a van. You cannot arrange a pickup in advance unless you are prepared to pay for Zurich Airport's VIP Service (300 CHF for one person, 120 CHF for each additional passenger)! They can't possibly pick up every connecting passenger from delayed flights and might have to prioritise them. The fact your next destination is MUC might not be in your favour since there are later flights to MUC.

I'm sorry to sound alarmist but there is a chance that you might not make the connection. There is a later MUC-ORD flight on LH but I also don't know what might happen if you miss the connection. Is flying via FRA an option? At least flights to FRA are more frequent and will give you more time in ZRH.

zux85 Jun 16, 2013 12:02 pm

Originally Posted by NewbieRunner (Post 20932338)
I was picked up from an arriving Schengen flight once and was driven to a connecting flight to the UK but it could have been due to my status at the time and the fact it was the last flight of the day. Other FTers have reported being picked up when their arriving flight was late. I have also seen passengers being picked up and driven to their connecting flights in a van. You cannot arrange a pickup in advance unless you are prepared to pay for Zurich Airport's VIP Service (300 CHF for one person, 120 CHF for each additional passenger)! They can't possibly pick up every connecting passenger from delayed flights and might have to prioritise them. The fact your next destination is MUC might not be in your favour since there are later flights to MUC.

I'm sorry to sound alarmist but there is a chance that you might not make the connection. There is a later MUC-ORD flight on LH but I also don't know what might happen if you miss the connection. Is flying via FRA an option? At least flights to FRA are more frequent and will give you more time in ZRH.

FRA doesn't show much availability for our dates. Im thinking if we miss the flight in ZRH, UA would reroute us from ZRH to the US

silentbob1974 Jun 18, 2013 9:04 am

I am arriving on LX87 (YUL-ZRH) at 0615 and have a 0710 LX flight to LHR. What will I need to clear, and approximately how long is the walk gate-to-gate?

wrenz Jun 18, 2013 10:29 am

I found ZRH very easy to transit. NCE-ZRH-SFO with a scheduled connection time of 65 min. Inbound flight was 20 min late and arrived at a gate at the far end of A pier. We normally avoid the moving walkways but they were not crowded and there was a good flow so we used them to speed us along. Signage was easy to follow to passport control and the train. We were expecting a security check but only had a boarding pass & passport viewing before going to the gate which was at the end of E pier. Arrived at the departing gate about 25 min after deplaning.^

NewbieRunner Jun 18, 2013 10:41 am

Originally Posted by silentbob1974 (Post 20943905)
I am arriving on LX87 (YUL-ZRH) at 0615 and have a 0710 LX flight to LHR. What will I need to clear, and approximately how long is the walk gate-to-gate?

You will have to clear security, take the Skymetro train to the main terminal and walk to Pier D where your flight LHR departs.

Zurich Airport's transfer guide suggests you should allow 15-20 minutes.

dparkinson Jul 25, 2013 6:16 pm

I'm going LHR-ZRH-USA on LX. C then F, full fare. What should I expect for my connection? If I want to go to the F lounge (I have a 90 minute connection) am I on my own walking there? I assume I get a car to Pier E when I'm ready to leave (there's only two people in F.)
Also, should I pick LCY-ZRH on an Avrojet, am I on the bus with everyone else, or will a car meet me at the LCY flight to take me to immigration?

DUS Jul 25, 2013 10:43 pm

Originally Posted by dparkinson (Post 21158977)
I'm going LHR-ZRH-USA on LX. C then F, full fare. What should I expect for my connection? If I want to go to the F lounge (I have a 90 minute connection) am I on my own walking there? I assume I get a car to Pier E when I'm ready to leave (there's only two people in F.)
Also, should I pick LCY-ZRH on an Avrojet, am I on the bus with everyone else, or will a car meet me at the LCY flight to take me to immigration?

a/ You will have to walk to the F lounge.
b/ You will be driven to the E terminal
c/ No car when arriving from LCY. You should get a separate bus for C class pax,

blitzen Jul 26, 2013 6:08 am

is 50min enough to transfer at ZRH [the new 2/2012- ZRH connection thread]

I arrive from EWR and have 60 min to connect to HAJ . Sounds like this should no problem. I fly on one ticket Swiss in C and have a German passport.

YuropFlyer Jul 26, 2013 7:34 am

Originally Posted by blitzen (Post 21160944)
I arrive from EWR and have 60 min to connect to HAJ . Sounds like this should no problem. I fly on one ticket Swiss in C and have a German passport.

No problem at all. Since the US for whatever reason (certainly not for their TSA staff) is considered clean now, all you'll have to do is to ride the Heidi train to Terminal A, go through passport control/Schengen immigration, and go to the gate or bus area. HAJ often is served by AVRO's, which tend to get bus gates.. with 60min connection time, you should be perfectly fine even for a quick visit to the lounge if your incoming plane is on time.

blitzen Jul 26, 2013 7:59 am

is 50min enough to transfer at ZRH [the new 2/2012- ZRH connection thread]

Thanks for the answer.

Buster CT1K Nov 4, 2013 9:17 pm

Do all flights to and from the UK depart and arrive from D Dock?

verve Nov 4, 2013 9:33 pm

Originally Posted by Buster CT1K (Post 21728659)
Do all flights to and from the UK depart and arrive from D Dock?

For LX yes. BA has a mix of E and D.

Psychowildfire Nov 5, 2013 3:35 am

40 min connection òn HAJ-ZRH-CDG ? doable?

PetzLUX Nov 5, 2013 7:42 am

Originally Posted by Psychowildfire (Post 21729723)
40 min connection òn HAJ-ZRH-CDG ? doable?

Easy if your inbound is on time.

westw Dec 2, 2013 9:06 am

I have a short connection (55 mn) on LYS-ZRH-DXB, economy class. What would happen if I miss the connecting flight? Am I likely to be rebooked in one of the 2 next Emirates flights, a LH flight via MUC/FRA/DUS or next day’s Swiss flight?