Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Connecting in Zurich [ZRH]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 13, 2013, 7:26 pm

Thanks everyone for the replies. Although it may be a bit risky, it sounds like 40 minutes is doable at ZRH. I hope everything goes smoothly. My final destination is in the U.S., but United showed availability only via YYZ at the time of booking, so I took it. If I miss the AC flight, hopefully they can rebook me via Canada or straight to the U.S.

Taking a later flight is an inconvenience. But, I'm going home and I have an extra day off. Also, spending some time in Zurich (which I've never been to) doesn't sound bad.
Old Jan 13, 2013, 11:24 pm

Originally Posted by FlyerInCmh
Thanks everyone for the replies. Although it may be a bit risky, it sounds like 40 minutes is doable at ZRH. I hope everything goes smoothly. My final destination is in the U.S., but United showed availability only via YYZ at the time of booking, so I took it. If I miss the AC flight, hopefully they can rebook me via Canada or straight to the U.S.

Taking a later flight is an inconvenience. But, I'm going home and I have an extra day off. Also, spending some time in Zurich (which I've never been to) doesn't sound bad.
Sounds like you have it under control then ^. I think you'd be able to make it out the same day, but if your reaction to an overnight is--cool, I get to spend a night in Zurich--you're definitely good to go

I think, unfortunately, you'll make your original flight. No free night in Zurich and no avoiding the transit in Canada
Old Jan 24, 2013, 11:06 am

Hi there, new member and have been reading through this thread looking for some information on a flight I'm about to Book, but haven't found a specific answer:

I will be flying from BOS to ZRH on 7/14-&/15 over night and would have a 50 minute layover before flying to ZAG. Here is the actual itinerary:

BOS -> ZRH
Swiss Air LX0053 7/15 10:55 AM (Terminal E)

ZRH -> ZAG
Croatia Air OU0461 7/15 11:45 AM (Terminal D I think)

I believe both terminals should be non-Schengen (USA & Croatia), will I still have to go through security and/or passport control? Also, with switching airlines will I have to claim luggage outside security?
Old Jan 24, 2013, 11:26 am
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
Originally Posted by msd5568
Hi there, new member and have been reading through this thread looking for some information on a flight I'm about to Book, but haven't found a specific answer:

I will be flying from BOS to ZRH on 7/14-&/15 over night and would have a 50 minute layover before flying to ZAG. Here is the actual itinerary:

BOS -> ZRH
Swiss Air LX0053 7/15 10:55 AM (Terminal E)

ZRH -> ZAG
Croatia Air OU0461 7/15 11:45 AM (Terminal D I think)

I believe both terminals should be non-Schengen (USA & Croatia), will I still have to go through security and/or passport control? Also, with switching airlines will I have to claim luggage outside security?
Welcome to FT, msd5568!

Since you will be connecting from non-Schengen to non-Schengen you don't have to go through passport control but you will almost certainly have to clear security. Your luggage may be checked through to your final destination.

If you miss the connection you will have a rather long layover in ZRH.
Old Feb 2, 2013, 8:40 am

The last couple of times I've flown through Zurich (Intl-ZRH-Schengen), the immigration queues have been downright scary. Nearly gave me a heart attack getting to the gate the first time and we ended up missing the flight the second time.

So whilst the inbound is okay, on the way back home, I'd like to avoid any drama as far as possible.

Does anyone have any input on outbound immigration times at Zurich early in the morning? Have they improved? Or maybe they were never bad and I just had bad luck?

We will be flying in from Geneva and have a choice of two flights that connect with the 154 to BOM:

dep GVA @ 6h00 = 3h connection in ZRH
dep GVA a 7h40 = 1h connection

I know the BOM flight will depart from E, but I'm not sure where the arrival from GVA will end up.

The flight will also likely determine if we stay the night in Geneva or just drive in from Grenoble very early in the morning.

Whilst we will be in Business, we (I) move a bit slowly

Thanks!
Old Feb 3, 2013, 2:29 am

jasepl: You should be fine with the 7:40 flight

It's giving you 1 hour 10 minutes in ZRH, and your past experience must indeed have been very unlucky - I've rarely experienced queues at immigration, and certainly never more than 5 minutes, in ZRH. 1 hour 10 minutes will give you plenty of time. Of course, if you absolutely can't miss your flight for an appointment in Bombay, then book the earlier connection, but as you're with a Schengen Visa anyway (which means, LX would be able to book you onto another connection or place you in a hotel) I would take the 7:40 flight, and have no hurry to the airport at Geneva in the early morning.
Old Feb 3, 2013, 12:03 pm

Thanks YuropFlyer.

These two past experiences were in the last 18 months and were both on Intl-ZRH-Schengen. On the way out of Schengen, I've had a longer layover or checked-in at Zurich so I wasn't sure of the passport control situation.

I'll just be going back home, so no rush to get back, but I'd like to avoid the drama of a rushed or, worse, missed connection as far as possible.

I was originally planning to fly out of Lyon, which meant no choice and a good 1h40 connection. But the fare difference ( for two ) between LYS and GVA is significant enough that we may as well drive the 20 minutes more to Geneva instead.

Thanks for the reassurance; I think I'll take the 7h40 and me croserai les doigts!
Old Feb 12, 2013, 9:45 am

Hello everyone,

I've booked a flight on LX that departs from CPH and goes to FCO with a connection in ZRH.
So the routing will be CPH-ZRH-FCO, with both segments on LX.
In ZRH, do I need to go through immigration/re-clear security?
Also, does anyone know if the connection will involve a terminal change?
I have a 1 hour connection time in ZRH, and I'm not sure if this is enough.

Thanks for any help-
Old Feb 12, 2013, 10:54 am

Connecting in ZRH

Hello everyone,

I've booked a flight on LX that departs from CPH and goes to FCO with a connection in ZRH.
In ZRH, do I need to go through immigration/clear security again?

Thanks for any help-

Edit:
one more question: do I need to claim my luggage and re-check them in ZRH by any chance?
Old Feb 12, 2013, 10:58 am

Programs: Discretely with AA-G AFFB-C2 UA-EP LHLX-S HH-D
Originally Posted by agjil
Normally, 60 mins is more than adequate. The flights you mention tend to use the main terminal which includes the piers/gates A, B and D. They belong to the central security zone, and thus require no security checks. Normally, it is only if one of your flights uses the remote terminal, featuring Gates E, that such checks are required, when your arrival is from a safe origin airport.

Next time, why not ask the airline? And check the very ample, very clear information on their website?

You can also track which gates have been used recently by 'your' flights by consulting the arrivals and departures information of both Swiss and Zurich Airport.

These sources are much more reliable than a simple forum as this one.
Old Feb 12, 2013, 11:23 am

Programs: LH HON, Marriott Platinum, ...
Originally Posted by agjil
Hello everyone,

In ZRH, do I need to go through immigration/clear security again?

Thanks for any help-

Edit:
one more question: do I need to claim my luggage and re-check them in ZRH by any chance?
1. All three countries are part of Schengen, so no immigration at either end nor in the middle at ZRH.
2. The flights should arrive and leave in either A or B which are close to each other, shouldn't take more than 10 minutes to change flights.
3. 1 hour is more than enough in ZRH (unless you get delayed massively, but then 2h might be too short as well).
4. Luggage will be checked through to final destination.
Old Feb 12, 2013, 11:30 am

Thank you very much alfahund.
Old Feb 15, 2013, 10:19 am

Hey guys.

Me and a friend will be flying with LX, doing a ARN-ZRH-NRT. With only a 50 minute window between ZRH and NRT, we were wondering if we'll make it in time. I have no clue what gate we'll be arriving / departing from, but I think that we'll depature from gate E. I also have no clue about the security procedures we'll go through. We're arriving from a Schengen country but departing to a non-schengen country.

LX 1249 arrives at 12:10 (12.10 pm) at ZRH
LX 160 departs at 13:00 (01.00 pm) from ZRH

Any information / advice would be appreciated!

Last edited by kmax; Feb 15, 2013 at 11:19 am
Old Feb 15, 2013, 11:54 am

Originally Posted by kmax
Hey guys.

Me and a friend will be flying with LX, doing a ARN-ZRH-NRT. With only a 50 minute window between ZRH and NRT, we were wondering if we'll make it in time. I have no clue what gate we'll be arriving / departing from, but I think that we'll depature from gate E. I also have no clue about the security procedures we'll go through. We're arriving from a Schengen country but departing to a non-schengen country.

LX 1249 arrives at 12:10 (12.10 pm) at ZRH
LX 160 departs at 13:00 (01.00 pm) from ZRH

Any information / advice would be appreciated!
You'll arrive at the A gates, about 2-10 minutes walk to the automatic train (immigration just beforehand) to the E gates.

If you're arriving on time, you should have about 15 minutes time to visit the lounge (If you've access) in the E gates.

Enjoy your transit at ZRH airport
Old Mar 12, 2013, 7:39 am

OK... I'm new at connecting internationally (well, not that experienced).

Booked J Class:

YYZ (AC) - LHR (LX) - ZRH (LX) - BCN

Assuming everything arrives on time, we've got over 2 hours between LHR and ZHR so I'm not worried about that connection. Am I right to assume that our bags will just be forwarded all the way to BCN without me having to collect it any point?

ZRH - BCN is a 45 minute connection. When I arrive in ZHR, is 45 minutes enough for myself and my bags? (Do I have to go through security again? Immigration?)

On the way back, we're going through Geneva but the connection time there is about 90 minutes so I'm not worrying about the way back as much as this 45 minute connection. The booking agent assured me it was ok or they wouldn't allow the booking .... uh sure...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.