Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Connecting in Zurich [ZRH]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 11, 2023, 3:23 am

Programs: SQ:TPPS, Marriott: Titanium
Originally Posted by ISTFlyer
In those cases someone who is eligible to enter the Schengen at Area could bypass security if arriving at D or E clean by clearing passport control twice ( once to enter and once to leave ).
doesn’t seems to make any sense, you are probably better off going thru transit security rather than go thru passport control twice (of course unless you can use e-gate and they are empty)!
Old Jun 11, 2023, 5:21 am

Programs: UA--no longer 2P as of 3/2012 and don't even care. Never thought I'd say that.
50 minute connection in ZRH - Protect Selves by Purchasing Seats on Later Flight

Hello, we arrive in Zurich from San Francisco (UA 44) connecting to A3 851 to Athens next weekend. We booked last year as a vacation and unfortunately, we are now attending a funeral the next day in Greece (3 hours from Athens, only accessible by car) so it is imperative that we get to Athens as planned. I am considering purchasing tickets on a later flight, fully refundable, and would only lose $56 per person if we are lucky enough to make our original connection. We are on one-way award tickets. I'd appreciate thoughts on this plan as I am quite anxious with this new development. Thank you in advance.
Old Jun 11, 2023, 5:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH HON***,UA,BA.EK Gold,AV.
Originally Posted by janehoya
Hello, we arrive in Zurich from San Francisco (UA 44) connecting to A3 851 to Athens next weekend. We booked last year as a vacation and unfortunately, we are now attending a funeral the next day in Greece (3 hours from Athens, only accessible by car) so it is imperative that we get to Athens as planned. I am considering purchasing tickets on a later flight, fully refundable, and would only lose $56 per person if we are lucky enough to make our original connection. We are on one-way award tickets. I'd appreciate thoughts on this plan as I am quite anxious with this new development. Thank you in advance.
50 minutes is fine at ZRH as long as your UA flight is reasonably ontime, if you are on a single through ticket if you misconnect you would. e rebooked to the next flight to ATH anyway
Old Jun 11, 2023, 6:06 am

Programs: UA--no longer 2P as of 3/2012 and don't even care. Never thought I'd say that.
Originally Posted by chris63
50 minutes is fine at ZRH as long as your UA flight is reasonably ontime, if you are on a single through ticket if you misconnect you would. e rebooked to the next flight to ATH anyway
Thank you for reassuring me about the connection time. My concern about rebooking is if later flights are full as we are a party of three.
Old Jun 11, 2023, 6:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH HON***,UA,BA.EK Gold,AV.
Originally Posted by janehoya
Thank you for reassuring me about the connection time. My concern about rebooking is if later flights are full as we are a party of three.
Welcome, just have a look at the loads on the later LX & A3 flights
Old Jun 13, 2023, 12:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Following up on my own experience from last week. Was slightly delayed on BUD - ZRH so by the time we deplaned it was 430pm and with boarding for ZRH - LCY was due to start at 515, I opted to head straight to the D passport control which was right down the hall from the gate we came into (I believe it was a B gate).

Passport control for non-EU passport took about 10 minutes and then once through, I turned left to head to the new D lounge. The lounge itself is very well constructed and has lots of nice finishes and spaces to sit -- two major drawbacks: (1) the bathrooms are just the normal public bathrooms located outside of the lounge and (b) the food and beverage offerings are pretty poor, especially compared to SEN E

Overall ZRH as always was an easy place to connect through but unless you have enough time to check out the SEN E lounge, I certainly wouldn't add additional time in for the lounge (at least not the new D ounge).
worldclubber likes this.
Old Jun 13, 2023, 12:51 pm

Programs: SK Gold, AF Gold, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Duke787
the bathrooms are just the normal public bathrooms located outside of the lounge
To be fair, the chance of the "public" ending up in those restrooms are close to zero, because the lounge is so far away from any actual gates.
Old Jun 14, 2023, 2:16 am

Programs: Der 5* FTL
It's still a bit... crummy.
Duke787 likes this.
Old Jun 14, 2023, 2:21 am

Programs: LH M&M, BA EC, DL SM
[QUOTE=Duke787;35329153
Overall ZRH as always was an easy place to connect through but unless you have enough time to check out the SEN E lounge, I certainly wouldn't add additional time in for the lounge (at least not the new D ounge).[/QUOTE]

And: went over to the SEN lounge in the evening from the FCL to have a wee dram of whisky and the SEN lounge including the whisky bar was closed already at 8 pm for renovations. Hope that doesn't last long.
chris63, YuropFlyer and Duke787 like this.
Old Jun 14, 2023, 3:18 am

Programs: Der 5* FTL
Online they still say open until 10.

Is it closed completely? I am supposed to pass in 3 or 4 weeks. Really hope I didn't go out of my way to transfer in ZRH for no reason.
Old Jun 14, 2023, 10:17 am

Before Covid, it was very often operated in a single-shift operation, meaning being open like 10am-6pm only.

Apparently, LX still has problems of hiring staff, albeit they might have sensibly shifted the operating hours from 10am-6pm to 12pm-8pm now..

"Renovations" seems to be a very silly reason given
chris63 and Fabo.sk like this.
Old Jun 14, 2023, 1:16 pm

Wondering if a 50 min connection is possible. Arriving from BOS to ZRH. 50 min connection. Then flight to DEL.

I never book connections this tight. Ever. But the price is attractive so am considering it.

Do flights arriving from BOS (USA) have to go through security after arriving in Terminal E? Or do we go right to the gates?
Old Jun 14, 2023, 1:42 pm

It's gate to gate within the same part of the terminal, plus the flight from BOS is likely to be a bit early. I wouldn't worry too much.
Old Jun 14, 2023, 4:48 pm

How about a flight from ewr to zrh on lx with a 1hr 25min layover before going to pvg also on lx?

Flight aware showing its often delayed 20-40min.

With a 40min delay that would be only 45min for the connection. The flight is once a day and I will be flying with 2 young kids. Too risky?

Currently have a 7hr layover so considering looking for one with slightly shortly layover.
Old Jun 14, 2023, 11:30 pm

Another one I'd take. A 7-hour layover with kids between two long-haul flights doesn't sound very appealing. 45 mins is enough since the connection is just walking from one gate to another in Terminal E.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.