Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Connecting in Zurich [ZRH]

Search this Thread

Old Nov 2, 2012, 5:01 am

Programs: BD the last decent FFP
Check this thread

You should be fine assuming no major delay on your MUC-ZRH flight.
Your BOS flight will depart from terminal E, you need to go through passport control and catch an internal train to get there. few minutes should do the trick.

GBM
Old Nov 4, 2012, 2:36 pm

Just love to connect in ZRH. 2 examples:

STR-ZRH-VIE in 2011 when there was still security for intra-Schengen transfer.
Flight out of STR was heavily delayed due to bad weather (thunderstorm) first in STR then in ZRH. Touchdown in ZRH at 4.45 PM. Bus to terminal, security, arriving at gate A84 to VIE "Oh, there you are already Mr. Petzlux!" Entered the aircraft, "boarding completed", door closed and push-back at 5.10 PM.

Recently arriving from NRT, leaving the aircraft, security, passport control, Heidi train and entered the FCL 15 minutes after leaving the A343.
Old Nov 5, 2012, 1:51 pm

I Have a Connection in December via ZRH and wanted some advice. I have reviewed the two threads from all of the previous posts and did not see anyone who had a similar circumstance. I am flying BOM to ZRH and the ZRH to BRU. I have a 65 minute connection time. It seems as though that should be sufficient, I am just concerned about any additional security coming from India and any hold ups.

Is this a manageable connection?
Old Nov 5, 2012, 2:34 pm
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
Originally Posted by nmb333
I Have a Connection in December via ZRH and wanted some advice. I have reviewed the two threads from all of the previous posts and did not see anyone who had a similar circumstance. I am flying BOM to ZRH and the ZRH to BRU. I have a 65 minute connection time. It seems as though that should be sufficient, I am just concerned about any additional security coming from India and any hold ups.

Is this a manageable connection?
As long as your flight arrives on time you will be fine. It doesn't matter if you come from India or Canada. By the time you get to security they don't know where you came from and don't care. As long as you arrive from outside EU you will have to clear security - and passport control as you are entering Schengen.
Old Nov 5, 2012, 2:45 pm

NewbieRunner

Thanks for the quick reply. That's what I thought, but I just wanted to confirm.

Take care and have a nice day
Old Nov 15, 2012, 9:52 pm

Programs: Mucci, BMI*G, M&M SEN, FB Gold, PC Plat, Father of GhettoIFE
Short connection at Zurich - 40 minutes cutting it TOO close?

Hi all.

I've got a pair of flights coming up at an end of a bigger trip, which requires me to go from Barcelona to Zurich, and then onto Birmingham.

Now, if my memory serves, Schengen services arrive/depart from A dock, and that the Non-Schengen European flights operated by Swiss and its affiliates normally go from the back end of the D dock.

Now, the problem:
LX1955 is due to arrive at 16:35
LX424 is due to depart at 17:10

And I know I should had read the ticket better but Swiss allowed me to book the ticket.

My question is simple: Will I able to make that connection?

Thanks.
Old Nov 16, 2012, 1:04 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM, Hertz PC, Marriott Platinum/Lifetime Gold
Did you try looking at this thread http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/swiss...on-thread.html here on the first page of the forum?
Or this one, right below it http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/swiss...0-minutes.html
No searches needed. MCT is 35 mins.

Last edited by UAPremExecflyer; Nov 16, 2012 at 1:07 am Reason: added second thread link
Old Nov 16, 2012, 2:08 am
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Having done a similar connection (BCN-ZRH-MAN) and many other Schengen-ZRH-UK connections, I wouldn't be comfortable with 40 mins.

A arrival gates to D could be quite a trek especially if the BCN flight arrives at a high A gate. My connection was 40 mins but the flight from BCN arrived 12 mins late (according to flightstats). There was a car waiting for me to drive me via passport control to the MAN flight but it was probably thanks to my status. Others may not have been that lucky.

I wouldn't have booked this connection if it was at the start of a trip but I was going home after a long weekend away and wouldn't have minded if LX had to put me up in a hotel in ZRH. (However, it's more likely they would have put me on connecting flights via FRA.)

As you can tell I'm not in love with ZRH like many other posters in this forum. I've often flown through ZRH because of longhaul LX C seats and attractive European LX Z fares which earned 2500 miles per segment. Since the latter reason is no longer valid I'm unlikely to see ZRH as often.
Old Nov 16, 2012, 6:49 am

Programs: Mucci, BMI*G, M&M SEN, FB Gold, PC Plat, Father of GhettoIFE
Thanks UAPremExecflyer- wasn't aware of the thread when I tried to search this morning.

NewbieRunner... that's what I wanted (or not wanted) to hear. I'm a SEN for what its worth, so you never know. A dock to D dock is... a fair olde hike.

Lets hope LX1955 is on time or early. Or else I'm going to have to get fit very quick.... Although looking at recent history... I'm not 100% convinced as it seems to be an even it being early, just on time or late.

Oh well - at least this at an end of a trip!!!

Thanks
Old Nov 16, 2012, 9:40 am

Originally Posted by Kevincm
Now, the problem:
LX1955 is due to arrive at 16:35
LX424 is due to depart at 17:10
I had a similar concern for our itinerary in early September, wondering about connecting from LX1955 to the daily flight to BOS, ex ZRH pier E at 17:40 -- again, a "legal" connection but a tight one. My concern was heightened by looking at the on-time performance record of the flight from BCN on FlightAware or FlightStats.

That particular flight seems to be low on the LX priority list, experiencing equipment substitutions and delays quite often. The recent ZRH arrival experience showing now on FlightAware is somewhat more consistent than I was seeing in the summer, but it's still sufficiently variable that as of today FlightStats reports a 39% on-time record ("very poor") since the beginning of September, and an average 23 minutes' delay.

It's a little difficult to understand the LX scheduling policy here, timing the BCN connection to arrive relatively late in the afternoon connection window then showing indifference to on-time performance. It's the first BCN-ZRH flight after a dawn option, so afternoon passengers ex BCN have no good alternatives. Presumably there are some airport staffing advantages to having the flight depart in close proximity to the BCN-GVA flight, but I suspect those savings must be outweighed by the costs and disaffections of missed ZRH connections.

For what it's worth (~0), we made our (slightly delayed) BOS connection despite a 30 minute departure delay at BCN, but a lot more breathlessly than our ~70 year old bodies like our connections to be. In your case, with only an A>D transfer and quite a number of alternative (albeit one-stop) later connection options to BHX, I'd be inclined to chance it . . . but I recommend researching those alternative connections before you travel.
Old Nov 26, 2012, 5:27 am

Programs: US (Silver, *A Silver), AA, Starbucks (Gold)
ZRH Tight connection

Molly and I are heading back to the States tomorrow LCY-ZRH-EWR. We only have an hour on the ground to go from non-Schegen D to non-Schengen E. Is this a reasonable connection? We're both in business class, I've heard at Frankfurt sometimes a car or van will be sent for premium passengers on tight connections.
Old Nov 26, 2012, 6:33 am

Programs: LH SEN only nowadays, AF & AY basic. Radisson Blu fan :-)
Shouldn't be a problem as long as the LCY flight is not delayed too much. Just don't "fuss around" and go straight to E.
Old Nov 26, 2012, 6:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by thomwithanh
Molly and I are heading back to the States tomorrow LCY-ZRH-EWR. We only have an hour on the ground to go from non-Schegen D to non-Schengen E. Is this a reasonable connection? We're both in business class, I've heard at Frankfurt sometimes a car or van will be sent for premium passengers on tight connections.
No car or van- you still should be fine.
Old Nov 26, 2012, 6:59 am

If your flight from LCY arrives at an apron position a mini-bus will take Business Class passengers to the terminal without having to wait for the rest of the passengers. This could often be quicker than walking the length of D Pier from the far end where ex-UK flights usually dock. Just follow the signs for E gates, down to the Skymetro platform and to E. There will be security check after you get off the train.

Last edited by NewbieRunner; Nov 26, 2012 at 10:21 am Reason: typo
Old Nov 26, 2012, 2:29 pm

Programs: No more shiny cards -- former LH SEN, SPG Platinum, Flying Blue Platinum, BA Silver
If your inbound from Barcelona arrives at the new B gates pier and your flight to Boomingham leaves from the D gates then it should be much easier.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.