Great experience on new LX product ZRH-BOS

Old Dec 7, 2011, 4:59 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, DL Plat, SPG Plat, Hyatt DMD
Great experience on new LX product ZRH-BOS

Just returned from a trip BOS-BCN. Outbound was LH through Frankfurt in biz (Z). BOS-FRA featured a new cabin (747-400) but fairly indifferent service and so-so food.

On my return I was re-routed through ZRH with LX because MUC was fogged in. My previous experiences with Swiss were mediocre, as their biz-class product in and out of BOS was frayed. So I wasn't too excited.

My guarded expectations were greatly exceeded. Not only was the cabin brand new, the food was the best I have had on a European carrier, and that includes F on Air France. Simply superb salmon tartare and a filet of beef that arrived medium rare as I ordered it. Great wines, cheeses, desserts and service with a smile. ^

The sad thing is that paid business class (and first too) in LX only accrue 100% EQM with UA, whereas LH accrues 150%. In my eagerness to renew my MP 1K status I will probably have to stick with LH's inferior product for future flights.

But if you are less obsessed than I am with requalification, I heartily endorse the new LX, at least BOS-ZRH
Old Dec 8, 2011, 5:45 pm

Programs: AA LT Plat (4m+), AF Plat, A3 Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat/Ambassador
Yep...my favorite across the Atlantic. Just took that flight last night...aside from the +/ 9 hour flying time it was amazing.
Old Dec 9, 2011, 10:00 am

Programs: LX Senator; AF Platinum and Club 2000; AA Platinum for life (former EXP)
One food area where LX C (and F) both shine

This is a small point. For years I have avoided ordering beef on board flights. Always the same dialog: can I get it rare? -It's precooked. Can you undercook mine?-we cook them all the same. And what you get if you succumb to this is gray dry tasteless beef.

I have experienced this on every carrier I can think of: AF, AA, BA.

So when flying C or F my habit has been to avoid beef at all costs.

I don't know how LX does it, but they can produce properly cooked beef in both C and F. It is simply remarkable how good a job they are doing. And the conversation about getting it medium rare always gets a cheerful yes and usually a comment that the cook on board is very good and will see to it that it is done that way.

True this is not an issue of overarching importance, but it demonstrate to me that LX has placed itself at the top of the transatlantic carriers.
Old Dec 9, 2011, 11:18 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by sfoeuroflyer
This is a small point. For years I have avoided ordering beef on board flights. Always the same dialog: can I get it rare? -It's precooked. Can you undercook mine?-we cook them all the same. And what you get if you succumb to this is gray dry tasteless beef.

I have experienced this on every carrier I can think of: AF, AA, BA.

So when flying C or F my habit has been to avoid beef at all costs.

I don't know how LX does it, but they can produce properly cooked beef in both C and F. It is simply remarkable how good a job they are doing. And the conversation about getting it medium rare always gets a cheerful yes and usually a comment that the cook on board is very good and will see to it that it is done that way.

True this is not an issue of overarching importance, but it demonstrate to me that LX has placed itself at the top of the transatlantic carriers.
This is a good example of the difference between LX and nearly every other TA carrier. It has more to do with a positive attitude and a genuine interest in delivering a quality product, than about the actual food served.

I'm looking forward to my first TA in the new C cabin next week. If someone knows the Eastbound menu please post in the "Menus" thread.
Old Dec 9, 2011, 11:32 am

Programs: LH SEN
Originally Posted by PittDoc
This is a good example of the difference between LX and nearly every other TA carrier. It has more to do with a positive attitude and a genuine interest in delivering a quality product, than about the actual food served.

I'm looking forward to my first TA in the new C cabin next week. If someone knows the Eastbound menu please post in the "Menus" thread.
Ohh you will love it. New C is a great product and the crew is most often very nice. Not generic as on some asian carriers. Which means that sometimes you get someone having a bad day, but even then it's way ahead of LH and others.

I started writing down names of the FA to send an email to LX.
W
Old Dec 9, 2011, 9:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I was somewhat underwhelmed with my recent LX F trip on DEL-ZRH, given my high expectations.
On the plus side, the flight crew (well, the one serving the pax in F) was fantastic, and the seat was excellent -- except for one glaring flaw in that you can't get out of the seat when the tray table is open.

Wines were very good -- I see that the L-P Grand Siecle (NV) is twice the price of the L-P Milliseme 2000 that LH serves and you can tell. And the 20 year old port was excellent as well.

On the negative side - one bathroom in F for 8 pax is not enough (for F standards), particularly ex-DEL. Interestingly, while there were only 5 pax in F, twice during the flight I had to wait. Just bad timing, I guess.

And the catering wasn't anything to write home about either, as far as F catering goes. Though maybe it's an ex-DEL thing, wouldn't surprise me. The Balik was lacking flavor, and this is something I enjoy in CX F (they usually serve the Tsar Nicolaj, not sure if LX serves a lower quality version). It needed different garnishes as well - lemon, onion and capers. Blinis and creme fraiche are for caviar... My stuffed chicken main was kind of dry, the cheese was okay and the chocolate cake not as decadent as it should have been (like LH's deserts).

And I'm still not particularly impressed with the LX FCL in ZRH. It seems most of the accolades center around their (limited hour) dinner service. I had the most amazing roast Christmas duck at the LH FCT in FRA for lunch.

I still enjoyed the experience overall, however. Comparing this to my 5 LH F segments in the past two months, I think LH wins by a solid margin -- LH's new F, that is (though I've only had 744 F with the separate beds). Compared to old LH F, which I really don't like at all for sleeping, I'd probably prefer LX F.
Old Dec 10, 2011, 2:30 am

Originally Posted by edrags
The sad thing is that paid business class (and first too) in LX only accrue 100% EQM with UA, whereas LH accrues 150%. In my eagerness to renew my MP 1K status I will probably have to stick with LH's inferior product for future flights.
Plus, LH flights give you 100% elite bonus RDM.
All this might change next year though, when MP shuffles its chart to promote premium cabin accural. LX might get thrown in the mix as well, since they're now a part of the same trans atlantic syndicate.
Old Dec 10, 2011, 5:11 am

Programs: LX HON Circle
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8900/4.6.1.168 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/130)

To the OP: you should try to credit miles by original routing anf hence get more miles. It was not your fault that you were rerouted on LX instead of LH. You "paid" for LH miles.
Old Dec 16, 2011, 7:14 am

To the OP. Swiss could have earned you 150% EQM on UA if you were to use your Continental Airlines OnePass number. All would still count towards your UA 1K balance given the programs are merging (at least through March 2012). Just a note for your future travels.
Old Dec 17, 2011, 10:26 pm

Originally Posted by Lack
Plus, LH flights give you 100% elite bonus RDM.
All this might change next year though, when MP shuffles its chart to promote premium cabin accural. LX might get thrown in the mix as well, since they're now a part of the same trans atlantic syndicate.
I sure hope they do as the LH transatlantic J offering is tired.

The extra EQM on LH is the only reason I don't fly LX.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.