Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Yet again LX downgrade TLV aircraft [to A32S] in the last minute...

Search this Thread

Old Nov 24, 2011, 9:49 am

Programs: LH SEN, NZ , Lifemiles, BA
An A343 has gone tech and will only be redeployed on 29.11. There was quite some shuffling around of types in the shorthaul network as well. As much as I understand any disappointment - it is a 3.5hrs flight and it is done due to safety reasons. I assume that you'd rather fly on safe planes than making an emergency landing in Larnaca?!
Old Nov 24, 2011, 10:40 am

Programs: M&M basic / happy Wizzair+ user :-)
Think about the passengers who have to fly FRA-CAI with LH NEK (new European short haul cabin)

Flying LX A32S C to TLV is not the end of the world, but as C on the A32S is an inferior product than C on the A343, LX will for sure make a little compensation as a gesture of goodwill. It will surely be worth to write them.
Old Nov 24, 2011, 10:41 am

OP, the gate agent did not do anything special by giving you the empty seat next to you, as this aircraft in C, always has the middle seat blocked on this route. This has happened to me too a few times when flying this route, was annoying.
Old Nov 24, 2011, 10:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by amrom
OP, the gate agent did not do anything special by giving you the empty seat next to you, as this aircraft in C, always has the middle seat blocked on this route. This has happened to me too a few times when flying this route, was annoying.
On an overnight flight it is more than annoying- it makes the morning working very difficult. I would definitely write to Swiss and give the etix numbers of both times it happened- once OK, twice- really not fair- they should have at least given you the opportunity to switch to the elAl flight.
Old Nov 24, 2011, 1:01 pm

Programs: BD the last decent FFP
Originally Posted by TRAVELSIG
...they should have at least given you the opportunity to switch to the elAl flight.
Doesn't LY operate narrow-body a/c to ZRH? At least I've always seen 737's on terminal E.
Maybe the C seat is not "Euro BiZ like" seat and that's what you mean.

GBM
Old Nov 24, 2011, 1:40 pm

Programs: LY-PL, A3-*G
Originally Posted by GBM.flights
not "Euro BiZ like" seat GBM
exactly.
and if you don't plan on sleeping this seat is very good.
Old Nov 24, 2011, 3:36 pm

Programs: DL; AA; UA; CO; LHLX; NZ; QR; EK; BA
Originally Posted by rorschi
Flying LX A32S C to TLV is not the end of the world,
Unless it's one of those nasty ex-Swiss Sun A320s (think they still have three(?) of those flying around) where the seats are not the slimline ones, thus severely limiting knee and legroom!
Old Nov 25, 2011, 3:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL, IHG Diamond Elite Amb, HH Diamond, Avis PC, Hertz PC, Sixt Platinum
Originally Posted by matt in france
Didn't think anymore about it at the time or I'd have said, sorry.
Don't worry about it, you weren't to know I wasent aware of the change. Just wish I did know about it earlier as I would have had other options available, although it wasn't terrible in the end...
Old Nov 25, 2011, 3:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL, IHG Diamond Elite Amb, HH Diamond, Avis PC, Hertz PC, Sixt Platinum
Originally Posted by amrom
When I say blocked seat next to me I mean saleable seat rather than the one that's already blocked and not sold.

I had the entire row to myself.
Old Dec 1, 2011, 11:24 am

Originally Posted by Jasper2009
EU reg. 261/2004 specifies that compensation is due on flights both from and to the EU if the flight is operated by a carrier registered in the EU.
A bit OT, but I am curious - do you have a source for this information (i.e. any particular paragraph within 261/2004 or any relevant court decision)? Apparently quite a few FTers have adopted this opinion, but unless I'm missing something, it seems to me that 261/2004 applies to all carriers flying out of the area covered by it, not just those registered there. Which makes sense, because otherwise, what's to stop any LCC from moving their HQ to, say, Gibraltar and avoiding any legal obligations? Not that being within the treaty area stops them from trying (and, mostly, succeeding) anyway, but that's another story...

That said, I think an argument could (though I'm not saying it necessarily should) be made for an equipment swap from long-haul C to (European) short-haul C constituting a downgrade in accordance with Article 10, which, in this particular case, would grant OP a right to compensation of 50% of the price of the ticket as per § 2 (b).
Old Dec 1, 2011, 3:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by -Heathcliff-
A bit OT, but I am curious - do you have a source for this information (i.e. any particular paragraph within 261/2004 or any relevant court decision)? Apparently quite a few FTers have adopted this opinion, but unless I'm missing something, it seems to me that 261/2004 applies to all carriers flying out of the area covered by it, not just those registered there. Which makes sense, because otherwise, what's to stop any LCC from moving their HQ to, say, Gibraltar and avoiding any legal obligations? Not that being within the treaty area stops them from trying (and, mostly, succeeding) anyway, but that's another story...
The regs apply to:

a) any flights departing in the EU (regardless of airline)
b) flights from and to the EU operated by a carrier registered in the EU
(EU isnīt quite accurate, as some other countries such as Switzerland have adopted the regs, too)

Source: EU reg. 261/2004 Article 3 no. 1 a) and b)
Old Dec 1, 2011, 4:06 pm

Originally Posted by Jasper2009
The regs apply to:

a) any flights departing in the EU (regardless of airline)
b) flights from and to the EU operated by a carrier registered in the EU
(EU isnīt quite accurate, as some other countries such as Switzerland have adopted the regs, too)

Source: EU reg. 261/2004 Article 3 no. 1 a) and b)
Precisely. It just sounded like you seemed to be saying (and some others seem to be convinced) that even for flights departing from the area covered by 261/2004 it would only apply to carriers registered there. Just wanted to clear that up. Though foreign-based carriers certainly won't mind this false assumption...
Old Dec 1, 2011, 4:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by -Heathcliff-
Precisely. It just sounded like you seemed to be saying (and some others seem to be convinced) that even for flights departing from the area covered by 261/2004 it would only apply to carriers registered there. Just wanted to clear that up. Though foreign-based carriers certainly won't mind this false assumption...
Sorry for the confusion. The original question was whether the fact that the flight departed in TLV (outside EU/Switzerland) had any impact on any compensation claims and my answer was "no, as the regs apply to EU airlines both on flights to/from the EU [unlike non-EU airlines]"
Old Dec 2, 2011, 8:52 am

Programs: QF, UA, DL, AB
Noticed just now 4.50pm ZRH time that tonight's LX256 will be downgraded again. As of now HB-IOC, an A321, is scheduled to operate it. The plane is currently boarding as LX326 to LHR, will return and turn around as LX256 to TLV.

Another 343 technical?
Old Dec 2, 2011, 10:55 am

Programs: LH SEN, NZ , Lifemiles, BA
Yep, HB-JME has gone tech. It must be Karma that I am on this flight and booked in C ;-) LX 256/257 and LX 236/237 (CAI) tomorrow will be operated by A333 ,LX 236/237 on Saturday with A320. So it looks as though my inbound should be save ;-)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.