Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How early can you check in at BOS for an International Flight?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 23, 2011, 2:09 pm
Original Poster

Programs: LX LH AA AF
How early can you check in at BOS for an International Flight?

I will be flying Swiss from Boston to Zurich next week at 21:40 and have a meeting in Boston until 19:00. Can I check my bags earlier that day and just go straight to the gate with my boarding card? Or do they have separate counters for each international flight which open only a few hours before the flight?

Here in Zurich you can check in the evening before your flight if you like.

Thanks in advance for your help.

S
Old Mar 23, 2011, 4:03 pm
Senior Moderator

Programs: UA Plat/2MM [23-yr. 1K, now emeritus] clawing way back to WN-A List; MR LT Titanium; HY Whateverist.
Let me move this to our active Travel->New England forum, where many questions about BOS operations are posed. Also, have you tried posing this Q. to Swiss staff in ZRH? They might have ready info at-hand about BOS operations. Ocn Vw 1K, Moderator.
Old Mar 24, 2011, 10:12 am

Programs: DL GM 1MM, MR LT Titanium
At BOS, most, if not all, of the international carriers have their own check-in area which opens only for the carrier's flights of the day; I've flown WN out of E (the international terminal) during the day and there have been either no other counters open except maybe BA for their daytime flight. I don't know for sure, but I'd be very surprised if the LX counter opened more than 4 hours or so before their departure.

Where in Boston is the meeting? I've left the South End (20 minutes from BOS by taxi) at 15:30 for a 17:40 AF flight and made it (barely); this did include checking a bag.
Old Mar 24, 2011, 3:58 pm
Original Poster

Programs: LX LH AA AF
Thanks LoganFlyer,

Will be near Symphony Hall until 7PM and the flight leaves at 9:40 PM.

Can I do a web check in and have someone else drop of my luggage? Or do I have to do that?

Also, here in Zurich, if you are at the back of the line and risk missing your flight you can ask the manager to expedite your check in and they are happy to let you ahead of the others. Does the Logan staff offer this kind of courtesy?

Any idea how many minutes before the flight they will stop accepting baggage?

Appreciate your help.

S
Old Mar 25, 2011, 4:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
Originally Posted by SwissM
Thanks LoganFlyer,

Can I do a web check in and have someone else drop of my luggage? Or do I have to do that?

Also, here in Zurich, if you are at the back of the line and risk missing your flight you can ask the manager to expedite your check in and they are happy to let you ahead of the others. Does the Logan staff offer this kind of courtesy?

Appreciate your help.

S
Leaving the Symphony Hall area around 7pm, you'll get to Logan in plenty of time to check in for your flight and check your bags. If you need a place to store your luggage around Symphony Hall, just pick one of the area hotels, such as the Colonnade, the Hilton, or the Sheraton Boston. The bellmen at any of these hotels will be happy to hold your bags for you in return for a tip (if there's no set fee, I'd give them $5/bag).
Old Mar 25, 2011, 6:30 pm
Senior Moderator; Moderator, Eco-Conscious Travel, United and Flyertalk Cares

Programs: UA 1.7 MM;; Accor & Marriott Pt; Hyatt Globalist
Sorry for all the moves, but as this is really a question about Swiss Air policies and operations and not about Boston, I'm going to move it to the Swiss Air forum.

l'etoile
sr. moderator
Old Mar 26, 2011, 2:02 am

Programs: LH M&M Silver, BA EC, AF FB
Thanks LoganFlyer,

Appreciate your help.

S
LX Check-in counters at Logan close an Hour before departure for F & C, and 90 minutes before departure for Y [20:40 and 20:10 respectively].
Old Mar 26, 2011, 5:16 am

Web Check-In is possible at BOS, but I doubt you will be able to drop the bags off earlier than 2-3 hours before departure.

http://www.swiss.com/web/EN/services...r_checkin.aspx
Old Mar 26, 2011, 8:36 am

Programs: AA Plat 2.8MM
Note - LX has one (ONLY ONE) flight from BOS. Everyone in line at the BOS LX check-in counter is checking in for the very same flight, departing at the exact same time. So allowing one late passenger to go ahead of another late passenger would not help.

My experience checking in at BOS for this flight earlier this week about 2 hours prior to flight time was there was no one in line in front of me (business class).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.