theft from bag - who do I contact

Old Mar 21, 11, 9:22 am
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE, SkyMiles, AAdvantage; Marriott Gold
theft from bag - who do I contact

Hi - Just arrived into my Lisbon hotel after flying YOW-YUL (AC) and YUL-ZRH-LIS (LX) to find that my Garmin GPS running watch was stolen from my bag. Was ticketed on Swiss (z class).

Probably shouldn't have checked it to begin with, but I was rushing around a few hours before my flight packing and wasn't giving much thought to things.

Any idea who I need to contact, and does the fact that I have left the airport work against me?
Old Mar 6, 13, 8:18 am

Programs: AA Plat (4m+), AF Gold, A3 Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Plat
Gifts stolen/missing from luggage

Many, many millions of miles traveled but this has never happened before.
I landed in PVG this week (flew MXP-ZRH-PVG) and found some of my newly wrapped gifts (had bought them in Milan before leaving and they were gift-wrapped) had been stolen from the luggage.
The luggage was locked and was still locked when I arrived... who knows what happened... must have been someone that had a TSA access key...

In any case, has anyone had this happen before? How have you dealt with with Swiss? It's very annoying... they were cashmere sweaters for my sister and mother...

I was traveling in paid Z. (I know... not D or C ;-)
Old Mar 6, 13, 9:34 am

Wow, just wow. Sorry to hear that.

Well, the problem is, how to prove (!) anything got stolen. After all, I assume you only noticed that the gifts were gone when you unpacked your luggage in PVG, as you said everything was intact.

Basically, this means that it could have happened in MXP, ZRH or PVG.

This is actually one of the reasons why I DON'T look my luggage.

First, a look always attracts thieves (Is locked, must have something valuable inside)

Second, if they would have put you drugs into your luggage rather than removed stuff, it's MUCH harder to prove they aren't yours when you had your luggage locked. If it was unlocked, the authorities tend to believe the story that it was put into there by someone else much more probably than if it was locked.

I would use a unique colour cable tie to close your luggage in the future (with the cutter in the outside compartment of your luggage, so you can easily cut it open after the flight, but if anyone removes it, you know someone had been playing with your luggage)
Old Mar 6, 13, 9:45 am

Programs: AA Plat (4m+), AF Gold, A3 Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by YuropFlyer View Post
Wow, just wow. Sorry to hear that.

Well, the problem is, how to prove (!) anything got stolen. After all, I assume you only noticed that the gifts were gone when you unpacked your luggage in PVG, as you said everything was intact.

Basically, this means that it could have happened in MXP, ZRH or PVG.

This is actually one of the reasons why I DON'T look my luggage.

First, a look always attracts thieves (Is locked, must have something valuable inside)

Second, if they would have put you drugs into your luggage rather than removed stuff, it's MUCH harder to prove they aren't yours when you had your luggage locked. If it was unlocked, the authorities tend to believe the story that it was put into there by someone else much more probably than if it was locked.

I would use a unique colour cable tie to close your luggage in the future (with the cutter in the outside compartment of your luggage, so you can easily cut it open after the flight, but if anyone removes it, you know someone had been playing with your luggage)
Well, I know... I have read the newspaper stories in Italy (where I really think this happened...but of course cannot prove it) but never experienced this.

Of course I'm glad someone didn't plant drugs in my bag but I'm more upset because they were special (who's gifts aren't?)...

Anyway I'm sure that there is a procedure for this. Just never had this experience.
Old Mar 7, 13, 1:57 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
You can complain about missing items in your luggage within a certain period with all airlines, with LX its 7days after arrival/delivery of the luggage: https://www.swiss.com/web/EN/service...d_baggage.aspx

In the form, just fill out:

Your query relates to * complaint
When did the incident occur during travel
Where did the incident occur at the airport
Subject damaged baggage
Old Mar 9, 13, 8:03 am
Formerly known as koeche

Programs: LX SEN, QR Plat, Hilton Diamond, Windows 7, Adobe Creative Suite
I would definitely report it. Not that I would expect compensation but at least the airline knows about this incident. The more people experiencing similar and report it the higher the chance an investigation will start.
Old Mar 12, 13, 1:13 pm

Sorry to hear this, surely a real good Italian cashmere sweater beats everthing similar sold in China ( real, real, real cashmere and only 30 ).
Zurich's baggage sorting area BTW is 100% video controlled.

But frequent travellers stick to two rules:
A) Things regularly disappears when you connect through MXP or FCO, sometimes even whole suitcases
B) Never ever buy luggage with TSA locks, change to non TSA ( thats what i did with my trusted Rimova's )

It is much easier to file a claim with the airline when the have forced their way inside. Of course you still have to find a solution for the stupid TSA rule in the USoA, which does not allow locked suitcases. I simply do not code lock them and use a belt around to make the life for the thieves in MIA,ORD or JFK easier
Old Mar 20, 13, 4:02 am

Programs: BA BD SA
Was it a suitcase with a zipper? If so, provided the zipper can be slid around (even with the lock on) it's the easiest thing in the world to get into your suitcase with an everyday sharp object like a ballpoint pen. Lots of videos on line to show you how it's done.

Sorry about your loss - very aggravating!
Old Mar 30, 13, 12:40 am

Programs: USAirways CHPR , UA 1K M, AA PREM, AVIS First, HYATT Diamond, Holiday Inn.
Missing items from a bag

Our bags were delayed by almost two days on LH. Once our bags were delivered, we noticed items missing. I have looked on LH website and am bit unclear who I can report this to.

Can someone shed some light or provide an email address where I can write to LH about missing items from a bag. I am still within 7 days of bag delivery.

Thanks

Search this Thread
Search Engine: