Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Connecting to LX009 ORD-ZRH F Lounge Question

Search this Thread

Old Feb 26, 2011, 1:46 pm
Original Poster

Connecting to LX009 ORD-ZRH F Lounge Question

I did some searching but I was really unsure of the right search terms (I did try a few times), my apologies if I missed a relevant thread.

I have a trip coming up CLT-ORD-ZRH, I realize that I have to change terminals at ORD, but I was wondering if I could use the UA IFL while in the UA terminal.

Any insight is greatly appreciated,
Dan
Old Feb 26, 2011, 2:56 pm

Programs: LH M&M Silver, BA EC, AF FB
isn't that really a question for the United board (ie "can I access UA Lounges after arriving at ORD?")? In theory, if you remain Airside, you have a *A BP departing from ORD, so depending on their Lounge access rules, it may be possible.
Old Feb 27, 2011, 12:34 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by matt in france
isn't that really a question for the United board (ie "can I access UA Lounges after arriving at ORD?")? In theory, if you remain Airside, you have a *A BP departing from ORD, so depending on their Lounge access rules, it may be possible.
isn't that really a question for the United board (ie "can I access UA Lounges after arriving at ORD?")?
Honestly, I can see it either way, plus I am little afraid of the UA board !

In theory, if you remain Airside, you have a *A BP departing from ORD, so depending on their Lounge access rules, it may be possible.
I thought as much, but I figured that somebody here might have tried it before and had some real world experience in the matter.

Dan
Old Feb 27, 2011, 2:54 am

OP will not stay airside, he has to change in ORDeal to Terminal E from the UA terminal via the train.
At departure time of LX 009 E terminal is a Zoo, expect long wait at the always understaffed security. It seems to me that the 6:00 pm wave of departing flights comes as as a surprise for the TSA everyday.

The US authorities don't allow LX to depart from the "domestic" terminal, don't kow why ,as LH does it.
The LX F lounge is or will be refurbished for 1 Mio $, in the meantime LX F will us the SAS lounge which is quite nice.

There are no UA worn carpet clubs in Terminal E.

IMHO taking the CLT-MUC flight on LH and connecting via Limo transfer to the 30 min MUC-ZRH is the far better alternative. This is what I always do, especially in Winter.

Last edited by Fendant; Feb 27, 2011 at 3:16 am
Old Feb 27, 2011, 6:29 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Fendant
OP will not stay airside, he has to change in ORDeal to Terminal E from the UA terminal via the train.
At departure time of LX 009 E terminal is a Zoo, expect long wait at the always understaffed security. It seems to me that the 6:00 pm wave of departing flights comes as as a surprise for the TSA everyday.
Yeah I know about the terminal shuffle at ORD, but as I have long wait in ORD before the flight I figured that the UA IFL would not be half bad to spend a few minutes in. If not, I can use the RCC (due to CO PClub membership) or the DL SkyClub (I also have a SkyClub membership).

The US authorities don't allow LX to depart from the "domestic" terminal, don't kow why ,as LH does it.
I am a US citizen and I have no understanding how my Gov't works/think sometimes, this being one of them.

The LX F lounge is or will be refurbished for 1 Mio $, in the meantime LX F will us the SAS lounge which is quite nice.
There are no UA worn carpet clubs in Terminal E.
I was unaware that LX had closed their own club at ORD (although last time through the lounge it was not really worth very much). Thanks for the tip about the SAS lounge!

IMHO taking the CLT-MUC flight on LH and connecting via Limo transfer to the 30 min MUC-ZRH is the far better alternative. This is what I always do, especially in Winter.
I am actually starting out elsewhere, connecting in CLT to up to ORD. I had considered CLT-MUC, but it was not available for reward redemption when I had originally booked the ticket and my fried bought a revenue ticket (non-ref) up to ORD for LX 009, thus I can no longer easily switch flights to CLT-MUC (which since opened to reward availability).

Dan
Old Feb 27, 2011, 8:47 am

Programs: UA, TK, Starwood > Marriott, Hilton, Accor
Originally Posted by dan1431
I have a trip coming up CLT-ORD-ZRH, I realize that I have to change terminals at ORD, but I was wondering if I could use the UA IFL while in the UA terminal.
I think you can. I was once flying SAN(UA)ORD(OZ)ICN, all in First, and after arriving from SAN was allowed to spend some time in the UA IFE before eventually going landside, making my way over to T5 and airside again there. I believe your situation should be comparable.
Old Feb 27, 2011, 11:12 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by airoli
I think you can. I was once flying SAN(UA)ORD(OZ)ICN, all in First, and after arriving from SAN was allowed to spend some time in the UA IFE before eventually going landside, making my way over to T5 and airside again there. I believe your situation should be comparable.
Cool! Thanks!

Dan
Old Feb 28, 2011, 5:08 pm

Programs: BA, AA, SQ, UA, AC, WS, MR TIT
as LH does it.
LH has stronger connections in the US
Old Mar 1, 2011, 7:42 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Well, as part of the UA/LH partnership in 1998 LH got to depart from the T1 gates. The T1 is pretty sold out and further gate space is not available. The US govt has little to do with this, its simply UA who owns the rights to the gates in T1.

The new western terminal coming up as part of the OMP by 2014 should improve things. OTOH LX is supposedly investing 1 mio $ to refurn the existing T5 lounge, so I doubt they are moving to T1 or the future western (T4) terminal.

I kind of like the T5. Its very quiet, the SK and future LX lounge decent (T1 has the crowded RCCs) and security OK if you know how to ask for access to the special lane.
Old Mar 1, 2011, 7:57 am

Programs: UA, TK, Starwood > Marriott, Hilton, Accor
Internationally, I've only ever used T5 at ORD. How does a turnaround for LH look like? Do they dock at T5, deplane pax to immigration, then tow over to T1 for departure? Or is there an immigration facility in T1 as well?
Old Mar 1, 2011, 8:04 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Everything international (except the precleared arrivals from Canada) arrives in T5, pax deplane, aircraft are then towed to T1-3 as applicable. Utter nonsense. LH still does a turnaround in aprox 2h30. ^
Old Feb 23, 2012, 7:46 am

Programs: BA Gold, American Airlines, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by oliver2002
OTOH LX is supposedly investing 1 mio $ to refurn the existing T5 lounge, so I doubt they are moving to T1 or the future western (T4) terminal.

I kind of like the T5. Its very quiet, the SK and future LX lounge decent (T1 has the crowded RCCs) and security OK if you know how to ask for access to the special lane.
(Sorry to revive an old thread but a search yielded little/no information.)

Can anyone comment on the newly renovated LX Lounge at ORD??? I'll have about three hours to connect so I'll have plenty of time to check out the LX and the SK Lounges. I'll be in First so should have access to any/all options. How are the offerings for FC passengers?

Does one lounge have a better view of the airport than another? Lounges with no exterior windows are not my favorite (think BOS!).
Old Mar 31, 2012, 3:17 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by geo1005
(Sorry to revive an old thread but a search yielded little/no information.)

Can anyone comment on the newly renovated LX Lounge at ORD??? I'll have about three hours to connect so I'll have plenty of time to check out the LX and the SK Lounges. I'll be in First so should have access to any/all options. How are the offerings for FC passengers?

Does one lounge have a better view of the airport than another? Lounges with no exterior windows are not my favorite (think BOS!).
I was there in Dec 2011. The LX F lounge is small but well appointed with both comfortable leather chairs and dining tables. You may order from the menu (small but good quality selection in appetizer portions) or select from small choice of prepared food. Premium wine, champagne and spirits. Again, not a huge choice but in general good quality. It's no LH F lounge but nice than any RCC.

It does have windows but it was dark so I can't comment on the view.

Some complain it can get crowed but the only people in there are the other FC passengers. We met some nice folks and later chatted on the plane. Very "clubby" if you ask me.

QUESTION - Can the LX F lounge be used as an "arrivals" lounge? I'm arriving ZHR-ORD in F and connecting 4 hours later to UA F. I know I have to change terminals but can I hang in the LX F lounge before trekking to the UA terminal? I'm not a fan of the United Clubs.
Old Mar 31, 2012, 3:26 pm

Programs: LH HON
Lounge can't be used as Arrivals lounge as you won't have access to T5 on a UA ticket
Old Mar 31, 2012, 4:58 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, DL Platinum, AFKL Gold, Qatar Gold
Originally Posted by PittDoc
Some complain it can get crowed but the only people in there are the other FC passengers. We met some nice folks and later chatted on the plane. Very "clubby" if you ask me.
HON status passengers also have access to the FC lounge.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.