Search

Is the carry-on policy a right?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 30, 2011, 9:25 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hyatt Global, Miles and More SEN,
Is the carry-on policy a right?

Hi FT,

my wife just came back from a flight from Amsterdam LX729 (edel). She was in business class, a FTL and her 1 bag was smaller then 55cm x 40cm x 20cm printed on the e-ticket. At the gate her bag was refused. It seems to me Swiss/Edel was wrong. What do you all think? Am I missing something?

Thanks,

Bege

PS sorry for bad subject. Can't edit it. Consider instead, "Is the carry-on policy a right?" or "Is the carry-on policy a secret plot to trick my wife?" or "Is the carry-on policy bullocks?" (for the UK members)

Last edited by begemot; Jan 31, 2011 at 3:26 am
Old Jan 30, 2011, 9:37 am

Programs: LH SEN, FB Plat., HH D.
Originally Posted by begemot
Hi FT,

my wife just came back from a flight from Amsterdam LX729 (edel). She was in business class, a FTL and her 1 bag was smaller then 55cm x 40cm x 20cm printed on the e-ticket. At the gate her bag was refused. It seems to me Swiss/Edel was wrong. What do you all think? Am I missing something?

Thanks,

Bege

PS sorry for bad subject. Can't edit it. Consider instead, "Is the carry-on policy a right?" or "Is the carry-on policy a secret plot to trick my wife?" or "Is the carry-on policy bullocks?" (for the UK members)
Hi begemot,

It has never happened to me in Edelweiss operated aircraft but I remember it happened once in C(and Sen) in a very full A320 from Zrh-Bcn.

The problem is that bags in the overhead compartments on the Fokker are very small, and if you board the plane late, you may have no space.

Did she tried to put in underneath the seat, or she was in Row 1?

Regarding your point if one carry-on it is a right, probably it is but if there is no space, how can you enforce it?
Old Jan 31, 2011, 2:37 am

Programs: M&M SEN (*G), HH Diamond
PS sorry for bad subject. Can't edit it.
Yes, you can:

Click on Edit
Click on Go Advanced
Change the title
Click on Save Changes
Voilŕ

@:-)
Old Jan 31, 2011, 3:23 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by saviox
Hi begemot,

It has never happened to me in Edelweiss operated aircraft but I remember it happened once in C(and Sen) in a very full A320 from Zrh-Bcn.

The problem is that bags in the overhead compartments on the Fokker are very small, and if you board the plane late, you may have no space.

Did she tried to put in underneath the seat, or she was in Row 1?

Regarding your point if one carry-on it is a right, probably it is but if there is no space, how can you enforce it?
Hi Saviox, It was an airbus. I think she was in fact in row 1. I think they can enforce it the same way they took my wifes bag?

Bege

and thanks goliath!
Old Jan 31, 2011, 7:47 am

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold
Originally Posted by goliath
Yes, you can:

Click on Edit
Click on Go Advanced
Change the title
Click on Save Changes
Voilŕ

@:-)
Unfortunately this won't change the title of the thread, though. You need a mod to get this done @:-)
Old Jan 31, 2011, 10:21 am

Programs: LH SEN (LH*G), HH Diamond, AB Gold (1W Saph)
What do you all think? Am I missing something?
Possibly. How much did the bag weigh? Size is one thing, but there is also a weight limit of 8kg:

http://www.swiss.com/web/EN/services...arryon_baggage

"Is the carry-on policy bullocks?" (for the UK members)
That should be "bollocks", by the way. A bullock is a young bull.
Old Jan 31, 2011, 10:49 am

Programs: FB Silver, Hilton Diamond
Assuming legal size and weight, hand luggage allowance is part of the contract between the passenger and the airline. In fact SWISS advertises 2 pieces of hand luggage in C, so being denied just one is even worse.

Being right is nice but getting your right honour is something else altogether. I know there are people on FT that would ask them for an IDB voucher. I would definitely contact SWISS (or Edelweiss, depending on who your wife booked with) and ask for reasonable compensation.

Was the luggage rejected by the gate agents or the cabin crew? Unfortunately the gate staff in AMS (at least those handling Edelweiss/SWISS/LH) recently have seemingly become more incompetent - I've had several incredibly inefficient boarding procedures over the last few weeks and they seem to put gate agents there on their first day in the job.
Old Jan 31, 2011, 4:16 pm

Programs: M&M SEN, Amex Plat, Club Carlson, Marriott, HHonors & Accor Gold, Velocity Silver, Qantas Bronze
Originally Posted by alex0683de
Possibly. How much did the bag weigh? Size is one thing, but there is also a weight limit of 8kg.
Good question. It is so easy to make regulation bag size much heavier than 8kg.
Old Jan 31, 2011, 4:23 pm
IMH

Programs: BA Gold; Accor Plat; IHG Diamond-Amb; Meliá & HH & Marriott Gold
A bullock is a young bull.
True in American English. In British usage it's a bull with no bollocks.
Old Jan 31, 2011, 11:56 pm

Programs: M&M Senator, Flying Blue Platinum
deleted.

Last edited by JohnDP; Nov 30, 2013 at 3:35 am
Old Feb 1, 2011, 2:02 am
Original Poster

Possibly. How much did the bag weigh? Size is one thing, but there is also a weight limit of 8kg:

http://www.swiss.com/web/EN/services...arryon_baggage

That should be "bollocks", by the way. A bullock is a young bull.
I should check on the weight. You're right, I didn't ask about that. As for bollocks/bullcock good the forum is anonymous.

Originally Posted by mfkne

Was the luggage rejected by the gate agents or the cabin crew? Unfortunately the gate staff in AMS (at least those handling Edelweiss/SWISS/LH) recently have seemingly become more incompetent - I've had several incredibly inefficient boarding procedures over the last few weeks and they seem to put gate agents there on their first day in the job.
It was at the gate. She says she was in line, agent came up to her and said it was too big, took her boarding pass and from that issued a baggage tag right there. My wife has written a complaint to Swiss. I do think it is part of the ticket so to speak.

Johndp I do not know what bag can expand 50% if you stuff it but I'm pretty sure my wife doesn't have one of those scary monsters.

Bege

Last edited by begemot; Feb 1, 2011 at 2:08 am
Old Feb 1, 2011, 6:49 am

Programs: AA, UA, DL,
Hello OP,

I had the same problem last year. I had a business class seat. I had no problem with my carryon from ORD-ZRH.
\
But at ZRH, (ZRH-IST leg) the gate agent walked over to my carryon and slapped on a baggage tag. Did not bother to tell why she had done that, didn't bother to measure the bag, didn't bother to weigh the bag -- she just slapped on a baggage.

When we boarded the bus to be bussed to the plane, I very casually and stealthily yanked off the offending bag and walked on the plane with my carryon. This carryon fit better in the overhead on this plane than it did on the bigger ORD-ZRH leg!

That's my experience with Swiss Air.

David
Old Feb 4, 2011, 4:23 am

Programs: M&M Senator, Flying Blue Platinum
deleted.

Last edited by JohnDP; Nov 30, 2013 at 3:35 am
Old Mar 4, 2011, 4:18 am
Original Poster

Ms. Begemot got a reply from Swiss.

the summary is, we are sorry, we can't verify if there was nothing bad in bag, size of bag, etc. Here's 1000 miles anyway.
Old Mar 5, 2011, 1:39 pm

Programs: SQ G, LH FTL, UA S, Marriott Plat, Hertz PC
her 1 bag was smaller then 55cm x 40cm x 20cm printed on the e-ticket. At the gate her bag was refused.
Refused as in "she had to check it in", or as in "she received a 'delivery at aircraft' tag?"

If it's the latter, it's quite common. Most of my flights are in CRJ, and compartments there are pretty small. That's why pretty much everyone (esp. now in winter, with all the coats and such) gets a "delivery at aircraft" tag and their bags are stored in separate hold.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.