Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Swiss potential new routes

Search this Thread

Old Dec 26, 2010, 4:30 pm
Original Poster

Swiss potential new routes

Since Swiss ordered a further 5 A330-300s for expansion, on which routes could they be using them? I bet a comeback to Singapore a new routes like Abu Dhabi, Newark (connections with CO) and Toronto (a big *A hub).

What do you guys think?
Old Dec 26, 2010, 4:44 pm

Programs: NZ , QF , MK
Originally Posted by Riccardo92
Since Swiss ordered a further 5 A330-300s for expansion, on which routes could they be using them? I bet a comeback to Singapore a new routes like Abu Dhabi, Newark (connections with CO) and Toronto (a big *A hub).

What do you guys think?
I think it will be a while before we know ( see story below )

http://atwonline.com/airline-finance...olidation-1219

Swiss International Air Lines CEO Harry Hohmeister told ATW at the Star Alliance meeting in Queenstown that “2011 will be the year of consolidation for us,” noting, “We will not add new long-haul routes [but will] consolidate against the current trend in the industry.

When they do start expanding longhaul again I would be surprised to see SIN , there is already a daily A380 on SIN-ZRH from SQ , is more capacity really needed on that sector ?
Old Dec 26, 2010, 9:00 pm

Programs: Miles & More Senator, CX Marco Polo Club, SQ Krisflyer
I bet a comeback to Singapore a new routes like Abu Dhabi, Newark (connections with CO) and Toronto (a big *A hub).

What do you guys think?
I doubt any new routes would include something already covered by a Star Alliance carrier, meaning probably no SIN or EWR flights. However I do think it's only a matter of time before Etihad arrive in ZRH so AUH (continuing to RUH perhaps) would be a good choice.

Judging by recent history, LX are quite cautious when it comes to opening new destinations. I can only remember SFO, SHA and DEL in the last 3 years. If anything appears in 2011 my guess would be BJS or ICN.

BTW whatever happened to Tehran? I seem to recall a press release from 2003 saying it was a well-performing route, and then soon after it got pulled?
Old Dec 27, 2010, 2:00 am

Programs: BA, AA, SQ, UA, AC, WS, MR TIT
and Toronto (a big *A hub).
I'd love to see LX back to YYZ soon. I am fed up with AC B763 plane operating on that route with LX code share.

Last edited by NA-Flyer; Dec 27, 2010 at 2:09 am
Old Dec 27, 2010, 5:11 am
Suspended

Programs: Migros Cumulus Platinum Hero
Maybe flights from Altenrhein?

Originally Posted by LH/LX
I'd love to see LX back to YYZ soon. I am fed up with AC B763 plane operating on that route with LX code share.

I would love to see Altenrhein (ACH)
Old Dec 28, 2010, 2:25 am

I would like to see a ZRH - BLR in India. The only flight from FRA is solid booked for weeks ahead in C and F. There is a solid pax volume of NRI's from the US to BLR, currently via going FRA. Furthermore this avoids the horrible morning jog with luggage from C14 to A 42 on the return flight.

I would like to see 2(maybe3 ) rotations ACH - FRA -ACH as well. Unfortunately OS is reducing its service ACH-VIE to 3 flights per day and the new People's Airline operating ACH-VIE-ACH from March 2011 does not have a codeshare with *A so far.
Old Dec 28, 2010, 7:08 am

Programs: Eurostar Carte Blanche, SBB-CFF-FFS GA-AG, SNCF Grand Voyageur LeClub
What i would like and there could be some chance it happens: EWR, IAD, PEK

Would be great, but I don't believe it's happening: Rio de Janeiro, Mexico, to a lesser extent also Houston, Abu Dhabi, Seoul, Doha.

Also let's not forget that some of the destinations we want to see require an A340 rather than an A333. However, the current A340 fleet seems utilised almost to the max, only Cairo and Boston could be switched from the current A343 to A333. Which would make only one "very long haul" destination possible.
Old Dec 28, 2010, 10:21 am

Programs: *A GOLD, EL AL PLATINUM, ONEWORLD*SAPPHIRE, ACCOR CLUB PLATINUM, Human Race Platinum for life
Originally Posted by creber
What i would like and there could be some chance it happens: EWR, IAD, PEK

Would be great, but I don't believe it's happening: Rio de Janeiro, Mexico, to a lesser extent also Houston, Abu Dhabi, Seoul, Doha.

Also let's not forget that some of the destinations we want to see require an A340 rather than an A333. However, the current A340 fleet seems utilised almost to the max, only Cairo and Boston could be switched from the current A343 to A333. Which would make only one "very long haul" destination possible.
The shorter ZRH-TLV route could also be switched from A340-300 to A330-300.
With more A330-300 joining the LX fleet, the seatng capacity is similar to
A340-300, and therefore the A340-300 could be used for other routes instead.
Old Dec 28, 2010, 12:36 pm
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
The TLV hop is done by a 343 because of the prestige factor (normally such routes are flown by midhaul aircraft but the core customer group transiting in ZRH would not accept that). Right now only the 343 have enough gaps to do such a route.

For some insight into what LX does before deciding a new route, read the July 2 blog entry here: http://blog.swiss.com/2010_07_01_archive.html

BTW, there you can see two of our 4 LX lurkers in a picture
Old Dec 28, 2010, 6:38 pm

Programs: *A GOLD, EL AL PLATINUM, ONEWORLD*SAPPHIRE, ACCOR CLUB PLATINUM, Human Race Platinum for life
Originally Posted by oliver2002
The TLV hop is done by a 343 because of the prestige factor (normally such routes are flown by midhaul aircraft but the core customer group transiting in ZRH would not accept that). Right now only the 343 have enough gaps to do such a route.

For some insight into what LX does before deciding a new route, read the July 2 blog entry here: http://blog.swiss.com/2010_07_01_archive.html

BTW, there you can see two of our 4 LX lurkers in a picture
Sorry, but I fail to appreciate the prestige factor for the A340-300 on the
ZRH-TLV route. LX does not feature F class anymore (officialy, the F seats blocked for HONs). The only prestige that one might see at the moment is a feature of 4 CFM International CFM56 engines, as well as AVOD that allows you to start the movie exactly when you want it (which the A330-200 does not have).
Old Dec 29, 2010, 12:11 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
It seems you can't do business in TLV without flying a twin aisle widebody there. LX and OS tried to make the route work with A320s and are back to 343 and 763 respectively. Nothing special about the 343, you may have misread my post.
Old Dec 29, 2010, 8:21 am

Originally Posted by oliver2002
It seems you can't do business in TLV without flying a twin aisle widebody there. LX and OS tried to make the route work with A320s and are back to 343 and 763 respectively. Nothing special about the 343, you may have misread my post.
Usually, LX, OS and LH (all operated by wide-body jet) are full, so it wouldn't make sense to fly A320 on that route.
Old Dec 29, 2010, 9:21 am

Programs: UA, TK, Starwood > Marriott, Hilton, Accor
Originally Posted by Fendant
I would like to see 2(maybe3 ) rotations ACH - FRA -ACH as well.
ACH is not a properly certfified airport for scheduled flights. As such, the only scheduled service they are allowed to operate is the "legacy" route which they have been serving since before the certification requirement came into force - i.e. VIE. There have been half-hearted attempts at obtaining a certification ("Konzession"), but that comes with lots of paperwork and the adjacient villages are not interested in more noise so they object.
Old Dec 29, 2010, 12:24 pm

Programs: LH M&M Silver, BA EC, AF FB
I bet a comeback to Singapore a new routes like Abu Dhabi, Newark (connections with CO) and Toronto (a big *A hub).

What do you guys think?
I can't really see any of those, Singapore and Toronto are already served from Zurich via Codeshare agreements with SQ and AC respectively, CO already operate to EWR, this could also go Codeshare, after all CO already codeshare with LH, and LX codeshare with UA to IAD, so once they complete their merger...

As for Abu Dhabi, is there really that much O&D Traffic to justify the route?
Old Dec 29, 2010, 2:13 pm

Programs: LH, AB, SPG, CC, Sixt, EC
Originally Posted by matt in france
I can't really see any of those, Singapore and Toronto are already served from Zurich via Codeshare agreements with SQ and AC respectively, CO already operate to EWR, this could also go Codeshare, after all CO already codeshare with LH, and LX codeshare with UA to IAD, so once they complete their merger...

As for Abu Dhabi, is there really that much O&D Traffic to justify the route?
The UA & CO merger is completed, at least officially... I get your point but who would fly CO if they could get a shiny LX plane... ?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.