Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Longhaul Cash Upgrade offer at checkin/gate on Swiss

Search this Thread

Old May 11, 2019, 5:21 am

Programs: LH HON, AF Platinum
Originally Posted by Vixit
Also YUL-ZRH: I had made an online bid of CAD 1,100 that was rejected. At check-in the staff offered upgrade at CAD 1,300. I said ”thanks, but I had offered 1100 and that was rejected, so I leave it at that” (I was booked in 4A throne seat so not too bad). Another guy checking in next to me took the offer and paid with his credit card.

When scanning my boarding pass at the gate, beep, opup to First. Business class overbooked. Guy who had paid at the counter was sitting in 1D, I was in 1K.
Your patience is impressive. I would've paid up.
Old May 13, 2019, 7:40 am

Programs: LXFF
Originally Posted by sophialite
Your patience is impressive. I would've paid up.
For ZRH-YUL it would be a different story, but YUL-ZRH is a short flight and there are no facilities in YUL.
Old May 15, 2019, 11:02 am

Programs: Anything and everything
What's the lowest amount ever offered for a cash upgrade at the gate for ZRH-YUL from J to F? Do they even allow an offer to be made if you're on a rewards ticket, or only paid revenue ticket?

Vixit: Does business class tend to oversell midweek or is it just a random one-off occurrence like in your case when you got the upgrade to F?
Old May 15, 2019, 1:47 pm

Programs: LH HON**
I haven’t asked gate staff, but Miles & More staff have told me that award tickets can’t be upgraded by any means (neither with cash nor by throwing eVouchers on top of the award ticket), but maybe someone else has another experience.

My upgrade story was for a Thu night flight. My flight YUL-ZRH was booked as revenue Z (it was my return back home; my outbound ZRH-YUL was booked as revenue A). I’ve also traveled other days of the week, including weekends, this hasn’t happened before, but I wouldn’t say I have sufficient data points on the route to be able to see a pattern.

Edit: since they declined my offer of CAD 1100 and proposed CAD 1300 both to me and to another poster here, I would reckon that 1300 is their lowest acceptable bid.

Last edited by Vixit; May 15, 2019 at 2:02 pm
Old May 15, 2019, 2:21 pm

The gate agent at YUL was very chatty and he plainly told me 1300$ was the lowest offer becuase J was over sold. And yes you can get an award ticket upgraded. Cash upgrade at the desk is for any tickets.

I have never been offered a cash upgrade in J on the ZRH-YUL and I've been in F many times in an empty / almost empty cabin. I've never asked for a cash upgrade either mind you...

Over the years, I've also heard 1000$ CAD for Y to C a few times. Not sure if that is the lowest offer.
Old May 16, 2019, 8:44 am

Has anyone ever heard of a ZRH-YUL flight being under $1000 CAD for a cash upgrade from J to F? Or is that just wishful thinking? Am hoping for $800 CAD or under lol.

Is there any food difference between J and F or is it pretty much the same catering?
Old May 16, 2019, 9:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH HON***,UA,BA.EK Gold,AV.
Originally Posted by wildace
Has anyone ever heard of a ZRH-YUL flight being under $1000 CAD for a cash upgrade from J to F? Or is that just wishful thinking? Am hoping for $800 CAD or under lol.

Is there any food difference between J and F or is it pretty much the same catering?
Suspect it’s wishful thinking but miracles can occur

Massive difference in catering between J & F on LX, especially ex ZRH, for me they have the best F catering of any airline
Old May 16, 2019, 10:01 am

Originally Posted by wildace

The catering and lounges are the entire point of F for me. That's why some night flights (YUL-ZRH) are pretty pointless in F unless you won't be sleeping.
chris63 likes this.
Old May 16, 2019, 11:03 am

Programs: LH HON**
Originally Posted by ced_lx
The catering and lounges are the entire point of F for me. That's why some night flights (YUL-ZRH) are pretty pointless in F unless you won't be sleeping.
If you connect in ZRH, the F arrival service is something I appreciate. Quick ride to passport control, shower in FCL A and breakfast are feasible even with a connection of 60-80 minutes from touchdown. In Frankfurt I can spend the entire connection time queuing at passport control and endless walking.

I even prefer LX Business arrival in ZRH to LH First arrival in FRA, because in neither case do you get any assistance upon landing, but ZRH is at least much smaller and therefore less hassle to transit.

But I agree that the value of F is higher the longer the flight. East Coast US and YUL are short.
Old May 16, 2019, 11:14 am

Damn, this is truly tempting!

I know that cash upgrade can happen at the gate, but is it also possible to be done if one goes to the check-in counter at baggage drop? :-:

Originally Posted by Vixit
I even prefer LX Business arrival in ZRH to LH First arrival in FRA, because in neither case do you get any assistance upon landing, but ZRH is at least much smaller and therefore less hassle to transit.
If one is arriving on an A3 flight biz class, is there an arrivals lounge at ZRH for that flight? Or is the LX lounge only for LX passengers?

I've got a mixed bag of tickets/questions, so I'm preparing the info from now. I think this is the last of them now!!!

Last edited by wildace; May 16, 2019 at 11:19 am
Old May 16, 2019, 8:31 pm

You can definitely get a cash upgrade at the check in desk.
Old May 17, 2019, 9:25 pm

You can definitely get a cash upgrade at the check in desk.
Is this always possible? I recall the availability* being somewhat stochastic even when there were free seats upfront. (I may well be wrong.)
Old May 18, 2019, 4:18 pm

Yes based on availability of course. If cash upgrades are available it can be done at the checkin, gate or onboard.
Old Aug 1, 2019, 10:26 am

Thought I should provide an update!

Flew back yesterday (July 31) on LX86. F upgrade offer at baggage drop was 2000 CHF. Already had snagged the throne seat 48 hours before the flight so I passed on it.

Out of curiosity I had asked for them to look up the fee but the lady at the check-in counter said for that price it was not worth it as she has friends always flying the ZRH-YUL flight path all the time... I agree!
Old Aug 12, 2019, 4:38 pm

Programs: LX HON, FB Platinum for life, Sixt/Hilton Diamond
- never mind -

Last edited by Nik_Jr; Aug 14, 2019 at 9:15 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.