Longhaul Cash Upgrade offer at checkin/gate on Swiss

Search this Thread

Old Aug 2, 2011, 8:37 pm

Programs: VA Gold, Aegean *G, QF, SQ...etc
Thanks team--much appreciated!
Old Aug 3, 2011, 12:07 pm

Programs: LH SEN
Originally Posted by sim510
One more thought... is there a miles plus cash upgrade offered at check in?
Never heard about this option. Either cash or miles.
Old Aug 15, 2011, 2:07 am

Programs: SAS Eurobonus, BA Executive Club
I'm flying LAX - ZRH, wednesday 7. september 2011, in economy V class (now re-issued ticket in W class as LX a month ago was doing some changes to their booking classes).

Those of you hwo know the loads on these flights; can I expect to have the opportunity to chash upgrade to C class (regarding availability?)

Thanks in advance for your advice.
Old Sep 23, 2011, 5:00 am

Originally Posted by LNv22
I'm flying LAX - ZRH, wednesday 7. september 2011, in economy V class (now re-issued ticket in W class as LX a month ago was doing some changes to their booking classes).

Those of you hwo know the loads on these flights; can I expect to have the opportunity to chash upgrade to C class (regarding availability?)

Thanks in advance for your advice.
Would appreciate you updating us on what happened with you?
Old Oct 24, 2011, 2:21 pm

Programs: M&M SEN (*G), HH Diamond
I have booked a flight for a colleague to fly LX ZRH-ORD-ZRH on a "cheap" fare (booking class T). The colleague has no status with M&M, there's not even a M&M number in the booking yet. He's flying ZRH-ORD in three days (27OCT) and the flight does not look oversold at all:

F4 A4 J9 C9 D9 Z9 P0 Y9 B9 M9 U9 H9 Q9 V9 W9 S9 T9 E9 L9 K9

Now, today I received a call from LX and they offered me to upgrade him to C for CHF 790.

I have never had this happen before, but was too surprised when they called to ask for the reason they are making this offer.

Has anyone had this happen before?
Old Oct 24, 2011, 11:03 pm

@goliath: maybe C is not well sold (following your numbers this is the case) and if he takes the upgrade he'll cost swiss maybe CHF 50,-- more but paying CHF 790,-- for it (an empty seat in C would bring them CHF 0,--) - as LX C longhaul is really nice - i would take this offer (and it would bring him close to FTL btw.)
Old Oct 25, 2011, 12:02 am

Originally Posted by root66
@goliath: maybe C is not well sold (following your numbers this is the case) and if he takes the upgrade he'll cost swiss maybe CHF 50,-- more but paying CHF 790,-- for it (an empty seat in C would bring them CHF 0,--) - as LX C longhaul is really nice - i would take this offer (and it would bring him close to FTL btw.)
We declined the offer. It looks like there will be plenty of empty seats in Y and it's a daytime flight where he will be doing some (paper) work for most of the flight anyways.

It wouldn't bring him remotely close to TFL, though. 8858 miles for ZRH-ORD in P (or whatever class this would book into) + 2215 miles for ORD-ZRH in T = 11073 miles. He's at 0 status miles right now and only flies 1 to 3 trips a year on *A, usually short hops within Europe.

I was just wondering if anybody had this happen before, LX actively calling them to offer an upgrade.
Old Oct 25, 2011, 6:20 am

Programs: LH SEN only nowadays, AF & AY basic. Radisson Blu fan :-)
Originally Posted by goliath
Has anyone had this happen before?
happened to me for the first time last week as well. They called on Friday to offer upgrade to C on the flight to NBO on monday. CHF 760 (or so) - I took it...
Original booking class was B - new one was D
Surprised to see they offer it for "cheap" classes too though!

(this is actually quite nice, because I don't get into trouble with the company as I have a original receipt that states Economy... now I just have to put the 760 onto expenses with a creative reason....)
Old Oct 25, 2011, 11:24 am

It wouldn't bring him remotely close to TFL, though. 8858 miles for ZRH-ORD in P (or whatever class this would book into) + 2215 miles for ORD-ZRH in T = 11073 miles. He's at 0 status miles right now and only flies 1 to 3 trips a year on *A, usually short hops within Europe.
Ah, so the offer was just for one way and not for the whole RT because that would bring already 17716 miles but if he has just short hops within Europe normally it wouldn't help him long and would cost additional ~ € 1000,-- to catch the missing miles.

And CHF 790,-- for just one way upgrade to C is not that good - a colleague went from VIE to NYC and got business upgrade for € 500,-- from cheapest Y fare for one way.
Old Oct 25, 2011, 11:32 am

Ah, so the offer was just for one way and not for the whole RT
Yes, just the one way ZRH-ORD. If it would have been roundtrip including the overnight ORD-ZRH it would have been a no-brainer.

And CHF 790,-- for just one way upgrade to C is not that good - a colleague went from VIE to NYC and got business upgrade for € 500,-- from cheapest Y fare for one way.
EUR 500 used to be CHF 790 not that long ago...
Old Oct 25, 2011, 1:29 pm

EUR 500 used to be CHF 790 not that long ago...
but that was no offer from the airline - she asked for it at checkin if it would be possible and you got an offer directly from them in advance
Old Nov 13, 2011, 1:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Hello everyone.

I'm doing OSL-ZRH-JFK in a few weeks on a very cheap V fare. Loads look low. I have no M&M profile, I'm putting everything to UA MP. I'd entertain a buy-up offer around 1000 CHF. Is the proper place to inquire about cash upgrades at OSL check-in, or at the gate podium at ZRH? Do the savvy ones wait to be asked, fly the first/short segment down the back then ask at the last minute at ZRH, or what? And will I encounter bias because I have no M&M status?
Old Nov 24, 2011, 10:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Bump for a second look -- any recent wisdom on cash buy-ups ex-ZRH?
Old Nov 25, 2011, 3:46 pm

Programs: M&M Senator, Flying Blue Platinum
deleted.

Last edited by JohnDP; Nov 30, 2013 at 3:12 am
Old Dec 24, 2011, 7:34 pm

Programs: Free agent!
Talking

Sitting at the UA UC in SFO right now after paying US$600 to upgrade from cheapo non-mileage earning Y to C. When I checked in at SFO two hours before the flight, they had signs at the counter telling customers to inquire. I asked and snagged the last one. I have a feeling Y is going to be pretty sparsely populated tonight but also knew that this may be one of my few chances to try LX long haul Y.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.