Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Longhaul Cash Upgrade offer at checkin/gate on Swiss

Search this Thread

Old Jul 5, 2011, 1:00 pm

Programs: LH SEN, OW Emerald, AF/KL Gold, SPG Gold, HH Diamond, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by 5khours
Anyone been offered or gotten a cash UG for ZRH - NRT.
The official rate is CHF 1500.- (latest quote as of mid-June).
Old Jul 5, 2011, 6:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Hi,

Here's a upgrade price-list.

First price is for booking classes Y, B, M & U. Second price is for H, Q, V, W, S, T, L, K, X. All CHF (converted at ATOs).

EU up to 750 miles. 150, 250.
EU over 750 miles. 350, 450. (AGP/ATH/BUH/DUB/IST/LED/LIS/MAD/MOW/OSL/SKG/SOF/STO)
Egypt/Israel. 550, 660.
Canada/United States. 800, 1100. Exception LAX & SFO, 1200, 1500.
UAE, Oman & Africa (except South Africa). 800, 1000.
DXB-MCT. 100, 100.
South America, Far East, India, and South Africa. 1200, 1500.

There is also a tariff where the flight is oversold and they try and flog you it as a "deal" but it's quite complicated and different markets use a different one. The key thing is, if you are offered an upgrade for less than these prices the flight is oversold and they are trying to avoid op-ups. If you ask for an upgrade and the flight is oversold (but you don't know it) you will be quoted the prices above.

Regards,
Old Jul 6, 2011, 12:29 am

Programs: M&M Senator, Flying Blue Platinum
deleted.

Last edited by JohnDP; Nov 30, 2013 at 3:29 am
Old Jul 6, 2011, 2:54 am

Programs: SAS Eurobonus, BA Executive Club
What is the typical avalability for these cash upgrades?

I will be flying LX41 LAX - ZRH 7th September, what are my chances for an cash upgrade? Less than 50%?
Old Jul 6, 2011, 5:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JohnDP
thanks, do you have the list for C to F upgrades as well? How much is a ZRH-USA (East) upgrade to First Class from J or Z?
Hi,

AFAIK there is no formal list for C to F. I'd imagine two scenarios, fare recalculation and a special list sent by revenue management to stations when they think they may need to make op-ups, and hence avoid said op-ups.

Regards,
Old Jul 6, 2011, 5:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by LNv22
What is the typical avalability for these cash upgrades?

I will be flying LX41 LAX - ZRH 7th September, what are my chances for an cash upgrade? Less than 50%?
Hi,

These upgrades are available as long as there are seats in C. They are just standard prices.

Regards,
Old Jul 27, 2011, 7:58 pm

Programs: VA Gold, Aegean *G, QF, SQ...etc
Hi, slightly complicated question here. I'm flying TG MEL-BKK and onward on LX from BKK-ZRH. Work funded, so in cattle, and transitting BKK. Will I have th eopportunity to pay for a cash u/g (or more to the point, a credit card u/g) anywhere in BKK? Do I try at check-in with TG (will def. be purchasing their standby u/g!)? Is there a transfer desk somewhere in BKK that I can approach?

Any and all advice much appreciated.
Old Jul 28, 2011, 10:59 pm
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
TG won't be able to help you, you have to find a LX station employee in BKK. Gate or transfer desk would be my first try, no need to go landside.
Old Jul 29, 2011, 4:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by oliver2002
TG won't be able to help you, you have to find a LX station employee in BKK. Gate or transfer desk would be my first try, no need to go landside.
Good call. At the transfer desk or in the lounge- the TG rep can call LX station manager/supervisor who should be able to arrange if there is space available.
Old Jul 29, 2011, 4:09 pm

Programs: UA 1K, UA MM, Marriott Platinum
So, it's $1100 or is it CFr 1100, for upgrade ORD-ZRH on 's' fare? Either one is quite a bit more than I paid for an upgrade a few years ago.
Old Jul 29, 2011, 5:17 pm

Programs: UA 1K, UA MM, Marriott Platinum
One more thought... is there a miles plus cash upgrade offered at check in?
Old Jul 30, 2011, 7:39 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador (Titanium Lifetime), BA Gold, Ex-Hertz 5* PC, Ex-HH Diamond, Ex-BD*G
A question, probably more theoretical then likely to happen.
Have a ATH-GVA-JFK in business (Z), where would be the best place to ask for a paid price to upgrade to F, ATH or GVA, or should I ask in both and work out if it tips over my personal value meter?

Also, do Swiss give full mileage credit for the upgrade even if its done at the airport or not?
Old Jul 30, 2011, 8:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Hi,

AFAIK there is no paid structure for F upgrades unless flight is oversold to avoid op-ups in which case it comes straight from revenue management specific to that station and a price list is not published as part of the ATO handbook.

Therefore it would be a fare recalculation and you would get the miles, it would also be expensive. You would ordinarily not get the miles where it was the station LMU in the overbooking scenario.

Regards,
Old Jul 31, 2011, 5:28 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador (Titanium Lifetime), BA Gold, Ex-Hertz 5* PC, Ex-HH Diamond, Ex-BD*G
Originally Posted by hugolover
Therefore it would be a fare recalculation and you would get the miles, it would also be expensive.
Thanks hugolover, in which case I'll give up unless bmi comes up with their participation in the star alliance upgrade scheme in the next 2 weeks. A shame but a chance to try LX's new C product anyway, it wasn't worth tripling the ticket price for a 6 hour F experience to the US East Coast .

Last edited by littlevoices; Jul 31, 2011 at 5:34 pm
Old Aug 1, 2011, 3:07 pm

Programs: LH HON, DL FO/MM, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Accor Lifetime Platinum, Sixt Diamond
Originally Posted by littlevoices
Thanks hugolover, in which case I'll give up unless bmi comes up with their participation in the star alliance upgrade scheme in the next 2 weeks. A shame but a chance to try LX's new C product anyway, it wasn't worth tripling the ticket price for a 6 hour F experience to the US East Coast .
That most likely would not help at all if you are travelling on a cheap Z fare - since those are usually non-upgradeable through the Star Alliance Upgrade program.

Only the highest fare classes in the respective cabins are...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.