Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Longhaul Cash Upgrade offer at checkin/gate on Swiss

Search this Thread

Old Aug 27, 2022, 1:49 pm
formerly a193991
Hyatt 5+ BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt LT Globalist; LX SEN (*A Gold), AA LTG, SBB-CFF-FFS First Class GA
Originally Posted by NYC1
That’s not going to fly…
yes, I know. Business is good enough for me on a night flight. I sleep 6-7 hours anyway so could not benefit from anything in F on such a short flight.

for 500 I may reconsider, but would rather renounce than pay more.
gojko88 likes this.

Last edited by 59Impala; Aug 27, 2022 at 1:57 pm
Old Aug 27, 2022, 4:04 pm

Programs: SK Gold, AF Gold, Marriott Platinum
I actually had the option of upgrading J-F on SFO-FRA last December for 500$, fixed fee on LH website. I was tempted to have my first F experience, but ultimately didn't take it as I just didn't see the benefit on an eastbound flight, 80% of which I slept through anyway. So I agree with 59Impala , it needs to make sense. On a daytime flight, with time to spend at the FCT, sure.
59Impala likes this.
Old Aug 27, 2022, 8:28 pm

Each person needs to make his/her own calculation as to value. For me, it would have been a no brainer. Regardless, don’t expect to see $500 upgrades to F on US routes (let alone SFO) unless the economy craters (again). It’s hard enough to find cash tickets in F cabin these days — many flights don’t have availability in A class and barely in F class.
Milwaukee and theKrafty1tar like this.
Old Sep 20, 2022, 8:50 pm

Programs: Former UA1K transitioning to WFBF mentality
Not sure this is the right spot, but I booked a cheap fare IAH-DXB on UA.com (016 stock) in P on LX via ORD/YUL. When checking booking several months out on LX.com, ZRH-DXB legs both offered US$1,020 each to upgrade P to First, ZRH-YUL priced at US$2,130. No thanks!
Old Sep 21, 2022, 6:22 am

Programs: LXFF
You can't really expect less than 1k...
Old Mar 9, 2023, 6:14 pm

Programs: Accor, Hilton, Marriott, Radisson Gold; Aeroplan 35K
Will F have a spot available for an upgrade at the airport? I will be flying LUX–ZRH–YUL early April, and will be spending a night in ZRH (~17h layover).
I don't know how well F sells in this particular route. Also, what's the usual same-day airport C → F upgrade price like?
Asking because I bought LX C with Aeroplan points, so the same-day cash upgrade at the airport is the only upgrade option for me.
Want to think about if the price is going to be worth it, especially since the prospect of F accessibility is becoming grim starting 2025. (So far, official only in A333, but you know what I mean...)
Old Mar 10, 2023, 10:02 am
Moderator: SAS
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: LX, SK EBD (*G)
F doesn't sell a lot on ZRH-YUL so chances are there are seats to upgrade to. Afaik in April the flights are still operated by A330s from LX so F should be available.
Price wise I'd expect around 1000 USD.

Try if LX offers you the upgrade price for your booking in-app already.

Good luck!
precielous likes this.
Old Mar 10, 2023, 10:37 am

Originally Posted by Nick Art
F doesn't sell a lot on ZRH-YUL so chances are there are seats to upgrade to. Afaik in April the flights are still operated by A330s from LX so F should be available.

Good luck!
I can't find any upgrade offer in the LX app unless I just can't find it in the app – kinda expected because this is a partner award ticket (Aeroplan).
Would be nice if I can upgrade during OLCI...
Old Mar 10, 2023, 12:18 pm

Programs: LXFF
Originally Posted by Nick Art

Good luck!
I've seen 1500 CAD for YUL-ZRH but 1000 USD for ZRH-YUL is a little optmistic. I would love to be proven wrong though!
Old Mar 10, 2023, 3:46 pm

Programs: LH HON**
Pre-Covid, a man in front of me at the counter in YUL was offered C to F for CAD 1200 and took it. I was subsequently offered the same but declined. At boarding, my boarding pass beeped and I got an Op Up due to overbooking. I was happy with the upgrade, but I was also annoyed that their first attempt to resolve their overbooking was suggesting people to fork out more money.
chris63 likes this.
Old Mar 10, 2023, 7:02 pm

That has been quite standard for some years now. The cheaper the upgrade offered at checkin, the more overbooked the aircraft is in your class of travel.

free OpUps are happening less and less frequent due to the airlines preferred mode of selling it for cash rather than making elite members happy.
chris63 likes this.
Old Mar 10, 2023, 7:28 pm

Originally Posted by Vixit
Pre-Covid, a man in front of me at the counter in YUL was offered C to F for CAD 1200 and took it. I was subsequently offered the same but declined. At boarding, my boarding pass beeped and I got an Op Up due to overbooking. I was happy with the upgrade, but I was also annoyed that their first attempt to resolve their overbooking was suggesting people to fork out more money.
I would have declined here as well if I were you, considering this was the YUL → ZRH direction. Will be spending most of the time sleeping anyway, so J would suffice. But certainly I won't say no if free upgrade were to be offered.
I would be tempted to fork out $ for the other direction cuz of the ZRH ground experience. Even more so as I expect it will be harder to get an upgrade (especially as someone who will most likely use Aeroplan to get LX J) with the new LX F changes coming in 2025.
Old Mar 12, 2023, 4:06 am

Programs: SJ, SAS, DL
Deleted - wrong thread.

Last edited by jamesbrownontheroad; Mar 12, 2023 at 7:39 am
Old Apr 2, 2023, 6:33 am

Originally Posted by precielous
Will F have a spot available for an upgrade at the airport? I will be flying LUX–ZRH–YUL early April, and will be spending a night in ZRH (~17h layover).
I don't know how well F sells in this particular route. Also, what's the usual same-day airport C → F upgrade price like?
Asking because I bought LX C with Aeroplan points, so the same-day cash upgrade at the airport is the only upgrade option for me.
Want to think about if the price is going to be worth it, especially since the prospect of F accessibility is becoming grim starting 2025. (So far, official only in A333, but you know what I mean...)
I was offered an upgrade at check-in. Not at the initial check-in when my very first leg (LUX-ZRH) opened up – so I made a decision to only check in the LUX-ZRH one, and see what happens. I checked right around T-24h for the ZRH-YUL leg, and I was offered an upgrade to F with 1359 EUR which I bit. (I bought C on award, so my cash expenditure was within the tolerable limit, at least for F. That, and there is that news that F will shrink from 8 to 4 in A333…)

So I guess the same-day airport upgrade may not be the only available option even for partner award C tickets!

EDIT: Forgot to say – when I was in LX F, there were only two people in F. One in 1A, and me in 2K. Got a lot more personalized attention as a result of this. Surely I got lucky! I checked EF, and turns out, both ZRH-YUL LX F for 4/2 and 4/4 were both full. I happened to fly on 4/3, and voilą, only 2 people in F.

Last edited by precielous; Apr 4, 2023 at 2:01 pm
Old May 10, 2023, 10:17 am

Programs: BAEC
I declined an OLCI check-in from ZRH-DXB for 950 GBP/1100 EUR. Slightly annoyed at myself since this was more than the price differential between J and F when I booked the ticket and I was wavering on whether to take F over J at that point. The difference was approx 500 GBP / 575 EUR and then on MMB immediately after booking the price to upgrade was approx 1500 GBP / 1750 EUR (bonkers - this was almost as much as a whole F ticket was selling for on Swiss.com for the same flight!)

Anyway, question is what is the likelihood that airport upgrade will be cheaper? Also, how do I go about it? I am flying into ZRH on Edelweiss on a connecting flight, I presume that I will not get an upgrade offer at the outstation?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.