Community
Wiki Posts
Search

moving map question

Search this Thread

Old Jan 25, 2010, 3:13 am
Original Poster

Programs: LH SEN only nowadays, AF & AY basic. Radisson Blu fan :-)
moving map question

Hi all,

yesterday on my way to TLV (one a A340) I noticed that the moving map was discontinued exactly 30 minutes before landing. The blue screens (distance, ETA) were still active though.

Just out of curiosity - is this something new related to the US security measures? I always liked to see which way the approach takes us...

Cheers,
Andreas
Old Jan 25, 2010, 5:14 am

Programs: M&M FTL (*Silver), KLM/AF blue
When flying to ZRH I noticed in the past that they put off the map in the last 20 Minutes or so...

I think the reason is that when they are circling they don't want people to see this as it might look confusig on the maps and people might start asking why the plan turns around (or does not fly to ZRH) and so on...
Old Jan 25, 2010, 5:30 am

Programs: LH HON
on my recent flights to/from CAI, the map was on tilll landing...
Old Jan 25, 2010, 4:20 pm

Yep, Swiss stops the moving map 1 hour before landing in the US. The superintelligent US administration does not want pax to know where the plane's loaction is.
a) If you ask a member of the cabin crew where the current position is, they are no longer allowed to answer ( and will tell you exactly that )
b) If you have not figured out that the plane is in US airspace 1 hour before landing you are qualified for a job at the TSA or INS (except ZRH-BOS).
c) If the plane starts decending you are most likely in US airspace, however you are required not to tell anybody about it
d) If flaps/slats come out and they lower the gear you are most likely within 12 miles before arriving at you destination, but this is a state secret, so don't tell anybody about it
e) If you know your flight time, you might look at your watch leading to the discovery that you are about to land in XY minutes at your destination. In this case you are more intelligent than George Bush, which might be a punishable offense
f) If you can spot land with yellow school buses and come to the conclusion that this might be the US, send your resume to the CIA.

For all non US destinations it is business as usual, moving map is replaced by the destination video about 30 mins prior to touchdonw
Old Feb 13, 2010, 10:09 am

Programs: LH SENATOR
Originally Posted by Fendant
Yep, Swiss stops the moving map 1 hour before landing in the US. The superintelligent US administration does not want pax to know where the plane's loaction is.
a) If you ask a member of the cabin crew where the current position is, they are no longer allowed to answer ( and will tell you exactly that )
b) If you have not figured out that the plane is in US airspace 1 hour before landing you are qualified for a job at the TSA or INS (except ZRH-BOS).
c) If the plane starts decending you are most likely in US airspace, however you are required not to tell anybody about it
d) If flaps/slats come out and they lower the gear you are most likely within 12 miles before arriving at you destination, but this is a state secret, so don't tell anybody about it
e) If you know your flight time, you might look at your watch leading to the discovery that you are about to land in XY minutes at your destination. In this case you are more intelligent than George Bush, which might be a punishable offense
f) If you can spot land with yellow school buses and come to the conclusion that this might be the US, send your resume to the CIA.

For all non US destinations it is business as usual, moving map is replaced by the destination video about 30 mins prior to touchdonw
What can we say, the US authorities are not the smartest in the world. With all those BS regulation they create I hope they noticed that the security controls at US Airports were not improved at all since 9/11. I always get my water bottle through security and nail clipper a few times already as well that I forgot to check in.
Old Feb 13, 2010, 4:50 pm

Moving map was on until shortly before landing on today's LX8 ZRHORD.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.