Is it worth an overnight at ZRH to use FCL?

Old Jan 15, 2010, 4:32 pm
Original Poster

Is it worth an overnight at ZRH to use FCL?

Just booked MAN-ZRH-LAX with the second sector in F but my connection only leaves me with a maximum of 1:30 on the ground, assuming my flight into ZRH is on time.

This obviously doesn't allow for much time in the FCL if any, which is disappointing as I normally enjoy chilling in the lounge with a glass or two of fizz before my F flight.

Given my short connection, do you think the FCL is good enough to justify arriving into ZRH the evening before my LAX flight, so as to afford a leisurely morning?
Old Jan 15, 2010, 4:41 pm

No , absolutely not.
Old Jan 15, 2010, 7:14 pm

Programs: BA - GL, Disgruntled ex LH HON
Unless this is a one time opportunity for you, there is absolutely no reason.

The ZRH FCL is nice. that's it. it lacks the wow factor of it's FRA/MUC siblings.
Old Jan 15, 2010, 7:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH, UA, BD, AA, NW, FB, NH, AC, Sixt, Hertz, Avis, *W, HH, Marriott, PC, Leaders Club, AMEX
Nope.
Old Jan 15, 2010, 7:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH, UA, BD, AA, NW, FB, NH, AC, Sixt, Hertz, Avis, *W, HH, Marriott, PC, Leaders Club, AMEX
Originally Posted by danielbk
it lacks the wow factor of it's FRA/MUC siblings.
Since I have obviously missed it, what exactly is the "wow factor" of the MUC FCL?
Old Jan 16, 2010, 1:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by E3A300
Just booked MAN-ZRH-LAX with the second sector in F but my connection only leaves me with a maximum of 1:30 on the ground, assuming my flight into ZRH is on time.

This obviously doesn't allow for much time in the FCL if any, which is disappointing as I normally enjoy chilling in the lounge with a glass or two of fizz before my F flight.
If this is a one-off redemption, then your plan might be fun combined with a smart hotel and a night out in Zurich. It really is a great city. If it means a night in the airport Ibis, just to score free booze, there doesn't seem much point!
Old Jan 16, 2010, 2:06 am
DUS

Programs: LH HON, Hilton Diamond
Even if it is "stating the obvious" based on all the other opinions given here so far, yes, I agree that it is not worth it unless it is a one-off / once in a lifetime opportunity for you.

On my first ever F flight to NRT at the end of last year, I arranged an overnight stay in FRA so that I had plenty of time in the FCT. On the way back via ZRH, I spent 3 1/2 hours in the F lounge there. As others said, nice but just nice. To be honest with you, whilst waiting there for my connecting flight back home to London, I wished I had booked an earlier flight to LCY which was available at the time of booking but not anymore on my arrival at ZRH. Based on that experience, today, I wouldn´t stay overnight in ZRH just for a visit to the F-lounge.

Again, the key question is if it´s going to be the first and last time you might have the chance to visit it.

Just my 2 cents....
DUS
Old Jan 16, 2010, 4:21 am

Originally Posted by E3A300
,,,only leaves me with a maximum of 1:30 on the ground, assuming my flight into ZRH is on time.

Whilst I certainly enjoy a glass of bubbly or four at any given time - exactly how many glasses where you planning to have in the morning before the flight - apart from that the Louise on board is superior to the Jouet in the lounge and I am sure if you work hard you will be able to make up for lost time onece on board - mostly the FA are quite good at keeping it flowing (so I have heard )

Cheers

Thomas
Old Jan 16, 2010, 8:33 am

The ZRH Flounge dining room doesn't open until mid-afternoon, so you will be relegated to mediocre nibbles in warming trays.

I recommend making the same-day connection and skipping the overnight.
Old Jan 16, 2010, 11:38 am
Original Poster

Thanks to all of you for sharing your views, which I do appreciate.

General consensus seems to be that I should avoid an overnight in ZRH and based on your views, I'm going to do exactly that, especially as this isn't my first F and will not be my last, although this will obviously be my 1st LX F.

According to tcswede, the fizz on board is superior to the Jouet served in the lounge, so I'll make up for the lack of lounge consumption whilst en-route to LAX. I'm not a big drinker but it's funny how I always seem to find enough capacity to consume champagne for 12 hrs solid once airborne and that's normally on top of numerous flutes in the lounge prior to departure.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.