Community
Wiki Posts
Search

C Class ZRH-YUL-ZRH

Search this Thread

Old Jan 9, 2010, 11:50 am
Original Poster

Programs: SK EBG *G, Flying Blue Silver, Hertz President Circle, Hilton H Gold, Starwood Gold, BA Silver
C Class ZRH-YUL-ZRH

I am going to Montreal in May departing from Oslo 29/03-03/06. I like to book early and the best offers are LX via ZRH or BA via LHR, alternatively LH via MUC or FRA. AC through FRA or LHR is also an option. I am *G and need a long haul C flight to maintain my status so *A is preferred.

What is the LX Business class product like on the ZRH-YUL route? I saw some horrible photos of some old seats in another thread. Do they really have the old business class seats without sleeper AVOD etc on this route? Its looks like an A-330 is flying. If it's the seats featured here it's out of the questions to fly LX

Originally Posted by airoli
See here:
http://www.airliners.net/photo/Swiss...223/0889328/L/
http://www.airliners.net/photo/Swiss...6698ff59ee87a1
http://www.airliners.net/photo/Swiss...6698ff59ee87a1

Oldest product currently in the fleet, a large number of (negative) reviews can be found by searching this forum.

Any suggestions or recomendations?
Old Jan 9, 2010, 12:11 pm

Programs: M&M basic / happy Wizzair+ user :-)
I won't dash your hopes - but if the plane is an A330-200, biz is exactly this.

The new full flat biz is installed on the A330-300, and the "intermediate one" (flat, but angled) on the A340-300.

But I still remember how happy I was about this product 12 years ago, when the old crappy black seats on the MD11 and 747-300 were replaced by these brilliant blue seats with a recline of 45°...
Old Jan 9, 2010, 1:05 pm
TPJ

Programs: TK*G (E+), IHG Plat Ambassador
Originally Posted by rorschi
I won't dash your hopes - but if the plane is an A330-200, biz is exactly this.

The new full flat biz is installed on the A330-300, and the "intermediate one" (flat, but angled) on the A340-300.

But I still remember how happy I was about this product 12 years ago, when the old crappy black seats on the MD11 and 747-300 were replaced by these brilliant blue seats with a recline of 45°...
rorshi are you sure??? These pictures were taken in 2005-2006.

These seats (I believe purchased from either LX or SN) are now used by VN for regional A330 flights ex HAN/SGN (plus some domestic SGN-HAN runs), but I believe all long-haul LX aircraft have at least lie-flat seats. My experience is limited to ZRH-HKG flights and these flights always have lie-flat seats.
Old Jan 9, 2010, 1:54 pm

Programs: BA GGL/CCR/LTG, LH SEN, SPG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Yes it is the 'cradle' recliner seat - essentially what is now the old old product. It is also a 2 class A-330-200 so no First.

The 'intermediate' lie flat is on the a340 only.
Old Jan 9, 2010, 4:17 pm

Programs: UA, TK, Starwood > Marriott, Hilton, Accor
This is my new "trunk route", and yes, the seats on the A332 still serving the route are exactly those in the pictures posted.

Very rarely, LX puts an A343 with the "intermediate" seats on the YUL run, but it's a matter of luck. The newest product, on the A333, will be coming to YUL starting September 2010 only. *sigh*

Service is the same transatlantic C product as to any other destination. On the YUL-ZRH return, I find the timing inconvenient as you're leaving YUL mid-afternoon, and by the time it's midnight in YUL (and you're getting really tired) you're already arriving into ZRH; where it's 6am and the Swiss early birds greet you.
Old Jan 9, 2010, 10:46 pm

Programs: M&M basic / happy Wizzair+ user :-)
Originally Posted by TPJ
rorschi are you sure??? These pictures were taken in 2005-2006..
Yes! And also could have been taken in 2010!

These seats (I believe purchased from either LX or SN) are now used by VN for regional A330 flights ex HAN/SGN (plus some domestic SGN-HAN runs), but I believe all long-haul LX aircraft have at least lie-flat seats.
5 of the 6 A330-200 of VN are indeed coming from LX.

My experience is limited to ZRH-HKG flights and these flights always have lie-flat seats
ZRH-HKG is nowadays an A340-300 (not within the range of the LX A330-200).

For dayflights, these seats are still pretty OK - for night flights it was the state-of-the-art 10 years ago (What does not mean that I really could sleep on them - but some of my routes to West Africa didn't offer an F-cabin, neither is there one on ZRH-YUL).
Old Jan 11, 2010, 4:28 am

I took ZRH-YUL-ZRH last week, and yes it's the seat shown on pix.

A better bet is OSL-LHR-YUL on SK/AC. AC mark their flights with updated cabin with a red star when you book online.
Old Jan 11, 2010, 4:59 am
Original Poster

Programs: SK EBG *G, Flying Blue Silver, Hertz President Circle, Hilton H Gold, Starwood Gold, BA Silver
Originally Posted by LH727
I took ZRH-YUL-ZRH last week, and yes it's the seat shown on pix.

A better bet is OSL-LHR-YUL on SK/AC. AC mark their flights with updated cabin with a red star when you book online.
I know it would be a good alternative with AC. The problem is that AC only gives 100% FF points on SK Eurobonus while LH an LX give 200, and its about 600 USD higher. Heatrow is also worth avoiding
Old Jan 13, 2010, 10:09 pm

Originally Posted by airoli

Very rarely, LX puts an A343 with the "intermediate" seats on the YUL run, but it's a matter of luck. The newest product, on the A333, will be coming to YUL starting September 2010 only. *sigh*

I heard YUL was getting the new Swiss product in September, however when making a test booking at swiss.com it still shows an A330-200 with only a two class cabin.
any idea when this will be bookable?
Old Jan 14, 2010, 8:13 am

Programs: M&M Senator, Flying Blue Platinum
EDIT: deleted.

Last edited by JohnDP; Nov 29, 2013 at 4:46 pm
Old Jan 15, 2010, 12:29 am

Programs: BA, AA, SQ, UA, AC, WS, MR TIT
Originally Posted by JohnDP
However, lets assume I want to book F now, then Swiss is missing out on me at the moment, is that correct?
I don't think LX puts any importance for serving F class product to YUL due to the fact that Canada has always very low loads in First class. So that is not a determining factor.

LH serves YUL with First class cabin in the summer schedule and it is most of time occuppied by 2 or 3 passengers mostly purchased their ticket out of Canada.
Old Jan 18, 2010, 8:23 am

Location: Who the hell knows, most times I end up putting down the wrong room number!
Programs: AC *E, OK Plus Gold, HH Diamond
Help!

So I was a bit naive and believed that the product on the SWISS website was the product offered on all the flights - I should have known better and checked the Swiss FT board. I do most of my travel on AC and wanted to go to BCN in C with Mrs. Zoo. Silly me I booked YYZ - YUL - ZHR - BCN. The YUL - ZHR in C on LX obviously. Nothing else except via the US was available in C or F. (Outbound trip is Mar 3)

The question is: is this product so bad that it would be better flying through the US and dealing with that whole mess or putting up with the old seats and bad departure time to sleep for 3 hours before getting to BCN.

On the return I'm going through LHR on AC so that will be fine... I keep trying to change my outbound via FRA, MUC, CDG or anything else on AC or LH out of YYZ.

I feel like such a dolt for not visiting the LX forum. Those seats look even worse than what's on OK in C and what's offered by Sata (for a $200 premium!).

Thanks LX community! Help me!
Old Jan 19, 2010, 9:57 am

Programs: BA, AA, SQ, UA, AC, WS, MR TIT
Originally Posted by eskzoo
The question is: is this product so bad
LX C class ex-YUL is bad experience but transiting via the USA these days is much worse experience.
Old Jan 19, 2010, 10:14 am

Programs: skittles and m&m
this LX C is incomparable to LH C... seats, food etc. so try to rebook it via FRA, MUC, DUS if it is possible..
Old Jan 19, 2010, 10:44 am
Original Poster

While checking around on OSL- YUL flights, I managed to find a R/T flight into BOS on LX in J class for 12100 NOK (about 1700USD) VS 18500 to YUL. All other options to YUL was 21500, and hefty change and cancellation fees. The 12100 fare tp BOS was fully refundable and changeable. And the equipment shows up as the A 340-300, so nice seats. I am not in a hurry and its only 4-5 hours driving to YUL, so I am making a trip of it

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.