Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Updated Security Screening in Geneva (GVA)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 6, 2009, 8:03 am

Programs: LX Sen, EK Gold, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Sirius Gold, BA Gold
I still think that:

a) GVA should enable the fast-track for frequent users of the airport ...

b) that in their marketing sell they could avoid "selling" a one-stop-security for the EU when that is far from being the case (including in Switzerland).

I have written a 2nd letter to the Management (the first one in July has remained unanswered to date) and will post any positive results here.
Old Oct 16, 2009, 1:44 am

Updated: Security Screening in GVA - More info

Glad to say I have obtained some more information on the Fast Track at GVA, unfortunately not from the airport but rather through a very pleasant exchange with one of my favorite airlines

Here are the highlights:

- The fast track Channel is not officially launched yet but only as a test phase and signage needs to be improved.

- During a trial period of 1-2 months, the AIG authorities will monitor the flow of passengers in particular the ones needing to benefit of the new Fast Track Facilities in the future.

- As a soft launch, the AIG has decided that only First, Business and HON Circle passengers of SWISS as well as Smart Passengers of Baboo, could benefit from the Fast Track.

- The extended queuing time during peak hours is due to not all the x-ray counters (13 in total) being operational yet.

- It is anticipated that the Fast Track channel should be officially introduced by Dec 1st 2009

- At this stage there has been no decision as to the segmentation of passengers who will be entitled to benefit from the Fast Track facilities. It is anticipated the class of travel shown on the boarding pass (Business/First) might determine the right or not to use Fast Track, and not the tier-level.

My comments:
It is obvious that airline representatives in Geneva have only been partly involved in the project and that the AIG is clearly in the lead of the project and will take appropriate decisions in order to satisfy most of the airlines.

Hopefully at some point i will obtain a response from AIG and that might clear things up a little!

Meanwhile happy queuing and safe flights!

Last edited by asimha; Oct 16, 2009 at 7:55 am Reason: typo
Old Oct 16, 2009, 4:34 am

Programs: BA Gold, LH FTL, KL/AF Ivory
I had to go through the new security arrangements in GVA early on Wednesday morning and can say that it looked like GVA had taken lessons from LHR/T5. Big long lines snaking all the way back. The clever system with rollers that allowed you to arrange all your bits and pieces before getting to the security check itself has disappeared. Fast-track is so discrete it might as well not exist (it's at the far end of security, above where EasyJet checkin is (as though anyone flying EasyJet would have access anyway)). Finally the Fast-track line dragon was unable to understand a PYOBP. I've never had more than 5-10 minutes wait in GVA. It looks like you need nearer 30 minutes now.
Old Oct 19, 2009, 5:22 am

Thumbs down GVA security scan

Has anyone try to talk to Swiss / Star Alliance to find out if they are planning on changing the policy for senator to use the fasttrack lane ?

-xabra
Old Oct 21, 2009, 1:29 am

Oct 19th, 07:10; 12 minutes wait only - Seems it is improving as there were at least 6 to 7 security gates open

Yes the airlines (not only LX) are pushing for improved fast track
Old Oct 21, 2009, 1:45 am

Originally Posted by swisstraveler1988
Now that Switzerland is in Schengen, going to any EU destination you will no longer be required to clear security. However... flights to non-schengen are often located in another area and require that you go through security AGAIN...like FRA (which p.s. is a mess if your going schengen to non-schengen or vice versa, prepare for a long trek in the tunnels from the A to B concourse)
Sorry fellow Swisstraveller, you are completely wrong. Regardless where you go on a commercial airliner, you MUST go through a security screening. The EU has set clear standards and audits all airports within Europe regularly ( including the ZRH, BRN, BSL, LUG, GVA, ACH.

The only thing that has changed: you don't have to go through passport control for intra Schengen flights any longer. ( You still need your id for the BP check at the gate though )
Old Oct 21, 2009, 1:51 am

This is not what the AIG (GVA airport) has published on their website (sorry in french)

Link

Extract: "La mise en place du CSC satisfait les exigences de la réglementation européenne en matičre de sűreté. On parle lŕ du concept de One stop security : tous les passagers ayant pris l’avion ŕ Genčve sont considérés comme « propres » en terme de sűreté, dans tous les aéroports européens dans lesquels ils atterrissent. S’ils doivent prendre une correspondance pour continuer leur voyage, ils ne devront donc plus faire l’objet de nouveaux contrôles."

Personal comment: I doubt this will happen anywhere at all before 2012. Anyone familiar with the EU Regulation that AIG mentions?
Old Oct 21, 2009, 2:24 am

Programs: A number, but no status no more
Fendant,

Yes, you have to go through 1 security check. However, once this is done, and you connect in a decent airport, like AMS, for a Schengen flight, you will not go through security again.

For example, flying GVA-AMS-CPH, you stay in the Schengen area of AMS airport, and do not go through another security check.

Cheers,

GenevaFlyer
Old Oct 23, 2009, 2:38 am

I had a very good conversation with an Executive of GVA Airport and must say that the attitude was extremely open and positive.

In essence:

- Initially the fast track, which in GVA is a service of the airport and not of the airlines, will remain for F and C passengers and is for the moment a "shortcut" to the regular queue without a dedicated screening process. You should see a change in the name of the priority queue as well.

The lengthy wait at security was essentially from Sept 23rd to Oct 9th during the move from the previous infrastructure to the new one as only 50% of the CSC was in fact implemented. The average wait observed as of that date was of 8 minutes using 75% of the total infrastructure.

They clearly realise that their "best" customers are not necessarily the ones with the most expensive tickets and are definitely open to finding ways to identify their most frequent passengers in the future.

Having used the airport Monday morning at 07:00 the security process took 12 minutes (with very pleasant staff) which I guess is better than many other airports

Last edited by asimha; Oct 23, 2009 at 2:38 am Reason: Typo
Old Oct 24, 2009, 9:17 am

Programs: UA, TK, Starwood > Marriott, Hilton, Accor
Originally Posted by asimha
They clearly realise that their "best" customers are not necessarily the ones with the most expensive tickets and are definitely open to finding ways to identify their most frequent passengers in the future.
Do they talk to their colleagues in ZRH about this at all? We looked into this question when introducing "fast track" at ZRH a few years ago. I could facilitate contacts...
Old Oct 24, 2009, 12:06 pm

Originally Posted by asimha
Having used the airport Monday morning at 07:00 the security process took 12 minutes (with very pleasant staff) which I guess is better than many other airports
You are very tolerant. Sorry, but any airport that makes me wait in the security line for 12 minutes ends up on my black list.

And about GVA: it was probably already the airport with the worst security check (of the ones I have used regularly over the last 2 years or so) even before these changes. I have not been there during the last 6 months and I hope I can avoid them for a long time to come...
Old Nov 25, 2009, 9:37 am

Programs: LX HON Circle
Just went through GVA (@ SEN lounge currently). Looks like fast track is not only for Biz & First pax but also for us lowly SEN. I had no problems using it.

Save travels! 'Junior.
Old Dec 1, 2009, 2:51 am

Programs: BA Gold, LH FTL, KL/AF Ivory
They seemed to have got most of the bugs out of the new screening operation. The last couple of times I went through there were no more than 4 or 5 people in any of the lines, so I didn't even bother with the "fast-track", even when I was entitled to it. Indeed, I didn't see a single person make use of it.
They have re-instated their bins on rollers system, which I always thought was a huge improvement on most other airports. It's a bit of a shame that some people don't understand that they should continue "rolling" whilst undressing themselves, but on the whole, it's fairly efficient.
Behind security is still a bit of a dump, with lots of construction still going on.
Old Feb 27, 2014, 9:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
Bit of an old thread this, time flies so quickly. But I still think it is quite relevant, because the security screening in GVA still somehow feels quite "new" to me.

Here's what happened today. I have lived with the expectation of not being able to use the fasttrack lane as an FTL member, and staff at the ticket desk confirmed this morning that it is not available for Silvers such as myself. However, today I was running a bit tight with the time, so I tried scanning my online BP and it worked! Don't know if it was an exception, but there is one small detail which might help others: when you print your boarding pass in Switzerland, whether flying LX or LH, it appears as two copies, one of which is marked AIRPORT COPY at the top. I always ignored this in the past, as I was never asked for it. However, today I put the AIRPORT COPY down on the scanner and the gates duly opened. So, try it with your AIRPORT COPY next time and see what happens.

I was grateful, because it gave me time to have a coffee and bowl of muesli in the lounge, before the long hike out to D23 to get the Eurowings operated flight to DUS.
Old Feb 28, 2014, 12:33 pm

Programs: LH SEN (*G), BA Gold, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold
I can confirm the above mentioned comment, a colleague of mine was able to use the fast track as FTL with a boarding pass printed at the counter.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.