Search

Thought: Quoting someone you have on ignore should not be allowed

Search this Thread

Old Jun 27, 2006, 11:07 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, IC RA
Thought: Quoting someone you have on ignore should not be allowed

The way the system is set up if one has another poster on ignore one does not see the direct posts but can see when that poster is quoted. Some posters that use the ignore feature have a tendency of replying to the quoted part. The obvious problems with this are numerous. First and foremost it does not give the other party the ability to respond (lest someone else quote them). Second, it makes the system look very messy and disorganized. It's difficult to understand who is quoting who and under what context because quotes within a quote get lost by the system.

My suggestion would be to set a provision that states if you have a user on ignore, it should mean they are ignored.

Thoughts?
Old Jun 27, 2006, 12:09 pm

Programs: Bates Motel Plat
I have only seen one member who makes it a practice to quote people he has on ignore.

He always makes a quote within a quote, in order to remind you that he is ignoring the original poster.

Example:

You would see a post made by Poster A which reads as follows:

Originally Posted by Poster B
Originally Posted by Poster C
One and one equals two.
My own feeling? Poster A makes himself look a bit ridiculous. What he is in effect saying is, "I don't want to read what Poster C has to say so I have him on ignore. When somebody else quotes him, however, I am not mature enough to pass up reading it."

I don't think that this is a big problem and should not be banned by TalkBoard.
If Poster A wants to make himself into a standing joke by this repeated behavior, that is his problem -- nobody else's.
Old Jun 27, 2006, 12:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Dovster
Agreed, not to mention that attempting to create an automated solution to this problem would be extremely difficult in any but the most trivial cases.
Old Jun 27, 2006, 12:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If it REALLY REALLY bothers you then consider installing Admuncher or Proxomitron and making a script to remove any content with references to certain members.
Old Jun 27, 2006, 12:55 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ScottC
If it REALLY REALLY bothers you then consider installing Admuncher or Proxomitron and making a script to remove any content with references to certain members.
Hrmmm.. that's an interesting idea.

One of the problems is that when someone quotes you through another person you lose what the original poster was quoting, so all the comments appear out of context.

But I'll look into Proxomitron, that's a cool idea.
Old Jun 27, 2006, 12:55 pm
Original Poster

I have only seen one member who makes it a practice to quote people he has on ignore.

He always makes a quote within a quote, in order to remind you that he is ignoring the original poster.

Example:

My own feeling? Poster A makes himself look a bit ridiculous. What he is in effect saying is, "I don't want to read what Poster C has to say so I have him on ignore. When somebody else quotes him, however, I am not mature enough to pass up reading it."

If Poster A wants to make himself into a standing joke by this repeated behavior, that is his problem -- nobody else's.
I think you're right. In the end it probably just says more about the poster(s) in question. Too difficult to implement anyway I suppose.
Old Jun 28, 2006, 11:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler. (1.9M) Virgin Platinum. HH Diamond + SPG Gold
I recall Randy posting more than once the number of members who use the ignore poster function is incredibly small.

So I can't imagine this is an issue for more than a few members in 100,000+?
Old Jun 28, 2006, 11:20 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
If even 1% of FTers use the Ignore feature, I'd be surprised by a magnitude and then some. And of those using the ignore feature, probably mostly OMNI-users (including OMNI-readers) and then a sprinkling here and there. Best to keep things simple when it comes to rules.
Old Jun 29, 2006, 4:23 pm
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU

Example:

It's kinda funny that 'A' cant even read this thread since he has the originator on ignore!!!
Old Jun 30, 2006, 3:52 pm
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
This suggestion is beyond the scope of the TalkBoard.

This thread will be moved to Suggestions.

Thank you.
Old Jun 30, 2006, 6:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by magiciansampras
The way the system is set up if one has another poster on ignore one does not see the direct posts but can see when that poster is quoted. Some posters that use the ignore feature have a tendency of replying to the quoted part. The obvious problems with this are numerous. First and foremost it does not give the other party the ability to respond (lest someone else quote them). Second, it makes the system look very messy and disorganized. It's difficult to understand who is quoting who and under what context because quotes within a quote get lost by the system.

My suggestion would be to set a provision that states if you have a user on ignore, it should mean they are ignored.

Thoughts?
Honestly? Who cares?

Personally, I think the "ignore" function is unnecessary -- if there was someone whose posts I didn't want to read, I wouldn't read them. If anyone doesn't want to read my posts, they can skip them.

This whole ignore thing strikes me as a bit immature -- like putting your fingers in yours ears and going, "Lalalalala, I can't hear your, lalalala."
Old Jun 30, 2006, 7:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United, American, Delta, Hyatt, Hilton, Hertz, Marriott
For me, at least, this issue isn't that relevant. I am not surprised that the ignore feature isn't used that much.
Old Jun 30, 2006, 7:35 pm

Originally Posted by PTravel
This whole ignore thing strikes me as a bit immature -- like putting your fingers in yours ears and going, "Lalalalala, I can't hear your, lalalala."
I was just passing through this forum; never been here before but I agree with what you wrote above.
Old Jul 9, 2006, 9:37 pm

Programs: AA EX PLT
Originally Posted by outtolunch
I was just passing through this forum; never been here before but I agree with what you wrote above.
If you need to put someone on "ignore", then theoretically, you would ignore them. IMO
Old Jul 9, 2006, 10:19 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA/CO(1K-PLT), AA(PLT), QR, EK, Marriott(PLT), Hilton(DMND)
Originally Posted by magiciansampras

Thoughts?
Do you happen to have any examples of an instance when a FT member may have quoted someone they have on ignore? I'm not sure I can recall such a thing occuring.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.