Community
Wiki Posts
Search

My suggestions to make FT better....

Search this Thread

Old Apr 12, 2012, 12:25 am
Original Poster

My suggestions to make FT better....

Well, first, I think there are way too many forums. I can never remember all the different forums and what belongs where. It is with great intrepidation that I post anything for feeling like I might get chastized for posting in the wrong bucket.

Second, it would be great if, when I came back to FT, I had a place to go to that showed me all the topics I've replied to or that I'm interested in so i could see who posted a response to those topics. I just feel like I'm navigating blind whenever I come here. The contest is good, but there's just so much of it and the organization could be improved. Take Facebook... I go on there, and right away I get a feed of everything that is current that I care about. Here, I got to sniff everything out. You need to be dedicated to latch on to FT.

I could go on. Any product managers at FT want to PM me? I'd be happy to elaborate.
Old Apr 12, 2012, 12:45 am
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums

Unfortunately, when you have as many people posting as much content as is posted every day, FlyerTalk winds up needing all of those forums.

However, sometimes underused forums are merged with other forums, as is the recent case with the former Toronto forum — but that is for the TalkBoard to determine.

As for your second request, MyFlyerTalk sounds like the solution for you, as I use it all of the time:
Originally Posted by Canarsie
First of all, the MyFlyerTalk feature is absolutely incredible. I subscribe only to the forums (fora?) that I want to view regularly. Each forum displays the latest post in the most current thread and who was the author of that post, as well as the time it was posted. What a time-saver this is for me!

Once I enter a thread, I click on the link at the top-left of the window which allows me to jump to the latest post unread by me. After I read all of the unread posts, I then scroll to the bottom and click the Top link, which instantly brings me back to the top. I then click on MyFlyerTalk to go back to my customized FlyerTalk page while simultaneously updating every thread to display the latest post added to each thread!

For me, this method of browsing the new FlyerTalk saves me so much time versus the previous method of browsing the old FlyerTalk.
If you have any other questions, please ask.
Old Apr 16, 2012, 6:39 am
Flyertalk Evangelist and Moderator: Coupon Connection and Travel Products

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum Elite, Hyatt Discoverist, Radisson Elite
I believe that MyFlyerTalk is one of the most underutilized tools we have available on FT.

I have used it from Day 1 on FT and it truly changes the experience on FT.

I am so surprised at how many members know little or nothing about the feature....
Old Apr 18, 2012, 2:12 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Maybe something could be included in the next newsletter about this feature.
Old Apr 18, 2012, 2:20 pm

Last edited by angatol; Feb 28, 2015 at 10:00 pm
Old Apr 18, 2012, 2:25 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums

Originally Posted by angatol
Er, how do you use it?
Here is how I use it, angatol:
Originally Posted by Canarsie
Thank you, Ocn Vw 1K, for the kind comments pertaining to this thread.

Here is what I did to customize MyFlyerTalk for myself:
  1. First, I went into the Edit Options area on the left of the MyFlyerTalk page, which is the last option under the Settings and Options area on the left.
  2. I scrolled down to the Default Thread Subscription Mode area and chose No Email Notification under the pop-up menu. This option disables e-mail notification while still allowing me to subscribe to any FlyerTalk threads to which I post. Other options which you can choose include Do Not Subscribe (which totally disables the subscription function), Instant Email Notification, Daily Email Notification and Weekly Email Notification, all of which are self-explanatory.
  3. Even though this is a overall default setting, I can still override this setting as per individual post (in the Thread Subscription area below the first Submit Reply button if posting a reply or below the first Save Changes button if editing a post).
  4. I can also cancel the subscription to any thread at any time in the MyFlyerTalk page without changing the overall default.
The threads to which you subscribe will then appear in the New Subscribed Threads area at the top of the MyFlyerTalk page. The cool part is that the threads will only appear there if there is a new post to that thread by you or anybody else.

Then, I went directly to each FlyerTalk forum that I visit on a regular basis:
  1. In each thread, I click on Forum Tools at the top-right of that forum’s page. A menu with four options will appear.
  2. I choose Subscribe To This Forum.
  3. A prompt will then appear to receive No Email Notifications (which I chose), with an Add Subscription button below it.
  4. Once this is completed, the forum will appear in the Subscribed Forums area (which is directly below the New Subscribed Threads area) on the MyFlyerTalk page.
All subscribed forums will appear there as you add more to the list.

Below the Subscribed Forums area is the Latest Reputation Received area which lists the thread from which the reputation was added, along with the date, time and comment by the anonymous FlyerTalk member (if there is a comment at all). To disable this feature:
  1. Simply go to the Edit Options area on the left of the MyFlyerTalk page, which is the last option under the Settings and Options area on the left.
  2. Deselect the check box in the Show My Reputation Level area.

I love the fact that I can set FlyerTalk to my time zone instead of always calculating when a post was posted on FlyerTalk. To customize this:
  1. Simply go to the Edit Options area on the left of the MyFlyerTalk page, which is the last option under the Settings and Options area on the left and scroll down to the Date & Time Options area.
  2. Next to Time Zone, click on the pop-up menu and select the time zone of your choice.
  3. Additionally, there is a DST correction option to adjust for Daylight Saving Time. I have it set to automatic, but it can also be set to Always On or Always Off.
I hope this helps.
Old Apr 18, 2012, 2:30 pm

Last edited by angatol; Mar 1, 2015 at 4:26 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.