TripIt FlyerTalk group?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

TripIt FlyerTalk group?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 18, 2010, 3:52 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Premier 1K, DL Platinum Medallion, AF Platinum, Hyatt Platinum, Hertz President's Circle
TripIt FlyerTalk group?

It would be nice to have a TripIt FlyerTalk group to share our travel plans automatically on.
It would require us to share a domain where we can receive a confirmation email. To limit spamming risks, we can limit it to mails with a whitelist (tripit.com only uses a handful of outbound mail servers). Email could be of the form [email protected].
Old Oct 18, 2010, 9:06 pm

Programs: UA, AA, US, DL SPG Platinum, IHG Platinum
TripIt FlyerTalk Group

Agreed. My favorite Android travel app.
Old Oct 18, 2010, 9:46 pm

Programs: DL, UA, AA, BA, Marriott
Wirelessly posted (iPad : BlackBerry9650/5.0.0.810 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/104)

I use it on blackberry and love it.
Old Oct 20, 2010, 11:22 am

Setting up a TripIt Group

Hi, Angie from TripIt here. I wanted to reach out to you and let you know that it would indeed be quite easy for you to set up a Flyer Talk Group on TripIt.

As Arthur says in his post above, anyone who wanted to join the group would just need to have an active email on a single unique domain. Once you have that domain set up, just request that a Group be created for you, and we'll do the rest!

To request a new Group for your email domain, go to: http://www.tripit.com/group/join

If you have any questions or need help with this, feel free to contact me directly at angie at tripit dot com.
Old Oct 20, 2010, 11:43 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
I love this idea! I've used TripIt both on my computer and iPhone for the last year or so.

My company has a TripIt group, as does my grad school. I think it would be great to have a Flyertalk group. Has anyone taken this idea to a moderator, Talk Group, or anyone else on FT?
Old Oct 20, 2010, 1:16 pm
Community Director Emerita

Originally Posted by angieryan06
Hi, Angie from TripIt here. I wanted to reach out to you and let you know that it would indeed be quite easy for you to set up a Flyer Talk Group on TripIt.

As Arthur says in his post above, anyone who wanted to join the group would just need to have an active email on a single unique domain. Once you have that domain set up, just request that a Group be created for you, and we'll do the rest!

To request a new Group for your email domain, go to: http://www.tripit.com/group/join

If you have any questions or need help with this, feel free to contact me directly at angie at tripit dot com.
Angie, thanks for your post and explanation on how to do this. Since you are a first time poster (Welcome!) and your post had an active link, it had to be approved by a moderator which I have now done.

SanDiego1K
Senior Moderator
Old Oct 21, 2010, 6:50 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Premier 1K, DL Platinum Medallion, AF Platinum, Hyatt Platinum, Hertz President's Circle
So, how to get this working on the FT side?
I'm sure many people have the required skills to implement that, otherwise, I have some postfix-fu to offer.
Old Oct 21, 2010, 1:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'll bring it up on the TalkBoard & see if there's any thoughts there...
Old Oct 25, 2010, 3:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

A challenge with this being FT related would be liability of marketing/partnering with an external site & even costs associated with an FT email address. Not sure it'll fly right now...
Old Oct 26, 2010, 1:53 am
Original Poster

It's not really a partnering.. It's on the same level as forming a linkedin group of flyertalkers..
As for email, it needs not be a real email, only something that can receive a verification link from specific sources. It's just that's the only way of authentication that tripit uses for groups.
Old Oct 26, 2010, 4:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Arthur Randolph
It's not really a partnering.. It's on the same level as forming a linkedin group of flyertalkers..
As for email, it needs not be a real email, only something that can receive a verification link from specific sources. It's just that's the only way of authentication that tripit uses for groups.
So, theoretically, everyone could just agree to use a gmail or yahoo account?
Old Oct 26, 2010, 5:02 pm

Programs: DL, UA, AA, BA, Marriott
I would host the email forwarding service for it if wanted. We'd just need to register a domain, then everybody could setup an email @ that domain that forwards to their real email, and we'd all be in the same picture.

I doubt that they want everybody having an @flyertalk.com email address though.
Old Oct 26, 2010, 5:13 pm
Original Poster

gmail.com or yahoo.com wouldn't work. It has to be tripit specific domain, from which every user is recognized as a flyertalker.
I could set up an unofficial tripitusersfromflyertalk.com without needing any cooperation from flyertalk but then there wouldn't be any simple way for flyertalkers to confirm their flyertalk membership.

The simplest way to implement it on the flyertalk side would be to allow for a special robot account to be able to PM users with their tripit verification link. The robot would collect mails sent to [email protected] (and filtering any mail not coming from tripit) and forward it to the appropriate user.

I could do this.
Old Oct 26, 2010, 7:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Arthur Randolph
gmail.com or yahoo.com wouldn't work. It has to be tripit specific domain, from which every user is recognized as a flyertalker.
I could set up an unofficial tripitusersfromflyertalk.com without needing any cooperation from flyertalk but then there wouldn't be any simple way for flyertalkers to confirm their flyertalk membership.

The simplest way to implement it on the flyertalk side would be to allow for a special robot account to be able to PM users with their tripit verification link. The robot would collect mails sent to [email protected] (and filtering any mail not coming from tripit) and forward it to the appropriate user.

I could do this.
It does sound interesting, but that seems like more a technical/IB/Randy deal than a TalkBoard thing (which I did bring up to the TB). I think that clearance would have to come from them if its something that many folks are interested in pursuing.
Old Oct 27, 2010, 1:40 pm
Founder of FlyerTalk

Actually the HOM is a partner of TripIt (Scott Hinz, one of the co-founders and I have known each other for a very long time and we supply some of the technology for their Pro version) so let me chat with Scott to see what ideas could be created to make this work. I'll actually be seeing him within the month at a trade show so let me see.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.