Reload this Page >

Please end cut and pasting from social media

Old May 17, 22, 11:08 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: Bates Motel Plat

Do you want to post an obscenity which the FT software would block?

No problem. Just paste somebody's Twitter post. The "F word" would be automatically deleted if you type it yourself, but you can get away with having it in big, red, letters by simply copying a Twitter post.

Do you want to make a controversial post, but don't like others to quote and contradict you? Again, Twitter (and, I presume, other social media) will come to your rescue. You can either find someone else who posted what you want to say, or you can even post it on Twitter yourself and then copy it here. The software does not enable you to copy the post, specifying exactly the words you disagree with, and that makes it more difficult to respond to it.

Do you want to make a very long post, ranting about a particular issue and goes far beyond what we would allow here? Don't just copy one Twitter post: Instead, copy a thread with about 20 or 30 posts and include the whole thing here. That should make it extremely difficult for anyone to intelligently refute what the Twitter posters are saying.

I do not post on Twitter and have no desire to do so. I do post on FT and enjoy the back-and-forth between members here, but that does not include what a bunch of ding-a-lings I have never heard of have posted somewhere else. We have at least one poster here, whose own posts are written intelligently, but far too often are merely screenshots of what his favorite comedian has posted. Okay, if an FTer wants to quote someone else, that is fine -- but he should cite the original Tweet and then type out the quotation himself, making it far easier for others to comment on it -- at least if it does not contain words which our own software bans.
Old May 22, 22, 1:44 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

If there's a post you think breaks the FT rules, just report it via the Report Bad Post button.
cblaisd, CPRich, corky and 2 others like this.
Old May 22, 22, 7:56 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by DYKWIA View Post
If there's a post you think breaks the FT rules, just report it via the Report Bad Post button.
I am not saying that cutting and pasting Twitter posts violates our T&Cs. I am asking the Community Director to make it a violation.
Old May 22, 22, 9:05 am
Community Director

I want FlyerTalk to be a resource for all people irrespective of age. I know that various forms of communication are more prevalent among younger participants. I don't want to wholesale ban a form of social media. I feel that makes the site unfriendly to our younger participants. I have not seen frequent abuse of the forms of memes that are posted. I think this is an issue that can be handled by reporting offending posts and letting the moderators deal with them on a case by case basis.

Regardless, Dov, I appreciate you raising the issue to give us a chance to consider it. It's good to blow the dust off a practice and consider if it is right for us today.
corky, wrp96 and GUWonder like this.
Old May 22, 22, 10:36 am
Original Poster

The issue is not whether a post is offensive. It is whether items in a post can be debated without requiring unreasonable effort from others.

To keep this thread from being PR material, I am going to make a hypothetical case here. Let's say that are discussing Gone With The Wind and one of the posters here cuts and pastes 15 consecutive Twitter posts in which some people say that Scarlett O'Hara was a real person but she was from Alabama, not Georgia. Someone else contends that Clark Gable was drunk during the entire filming, A third person insists that the black actors in the film were all actual slaves, did not want to participate, were beaten until they agreed, and were not paid anything.

in all of these cases they post made-up "facts" to prove their points.

Because these Twitter posts were cut and pasted onto FT, anyone disagreeing with what was said cannot, as we usually do, simply copy the sentences he disagrees with and post a reply. RBPing the posts would not solve the matter as the FTer who copied them from Twitter (or Facebook or anywhere else) was not violating the TOS. The statements being quoted may be ridiculous, but idiocy is not a violation of our rules. Hence, this misinformation appears on FT without any real chance of being countered.

The issue of obscenities is a different matter. Personally, I favor free speech and have no objection to the "Fxxx-word", so I would not RBP it, but it is rather silly for Joe to be able to-post it, while Bill cannot use it himself because the software will not permit it.
Old May 22, 22, 2:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
I donít believe that banning all URL, Images, and any other format other than typing is a needed solution.

You donít need to quote a post to respond to it. See this post as an example.
Old May 31, 22, 11:07 am

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Originally Posted by Dovster View Post
The issue is not whether a post is offensive. It is whether items in a post can be debated without requiring unreasonable effort from others.

To keep this thread from being PR material, I am going to make a hypothetical case here. Let's say that are discussing Gone With The Wind and one of the posters here cuts and pastes 15 consecutive Twitter posts in which some people say that Scarlett O'Hara was a real person but she was from Alabama, not Georgia. Someone else contends that Clark Gable was drunk during the entire filming, A third person insists that the black actors in the film were all actual slaves, did not want to participate, were beaten until they agreed, and were not paid anything.

in all of these cases they post made-up "facts" to prove their points.

Because these Twitter posts were cut and pasted onto FT, anyone disagreeing with what was said cannot, as we usually do, simply copy the sentences he disagrees with and post a reply. RBPing the posts would not solve the matter as the FTer who copied them from Twitter (or Facebook or anywhere else) was not violating the TOS. The statements being quoted may be ridiculous, but idiocy is not a violation of our rules. Hence, this misinformation appears on FT without any real chance of being countered.

The issue of obscenities is a different matter. Personally, I favor free speech and have no objection to the "Fxxx-word", so I would not RBP it, but it is rather silly for Joe to be able to-post it, while Bill cannot use it himself because the software will not permit it.
It doesn't seem like this is a whole lot different than when someone's post links to, say, a news article which then becomes a point of discussion. I get your point about not being able to easily highlight, etc. some text from a tweet. But with a news article, the OP (and others referencing it) can only post a small portion without running afoul of copyright and FT rules. And if OP quotes a couple of sentences from the article, but I want to reference some other portion, I have to take the extra step of going to the article and copy-pasting the relevant text. Anyway, tweets and similar social media posts are fairly short so it doesn't seem like it's that difficult to type out what's being referenced in reply.

I think blocking social media links would preclude things that are now, for better or worse, common sources of information and entertainment.

As to the obscenity rule and filtering software, I think it should be abolished anyway. Mostly because FT is, per the TOS, supposed to be for adults 18+ so it shouldn't surprise anyone to see adult language occasionally. Also some obscenities are allowed through but not others, so the waters are muddied anyway.
wrp96 likes this.
Old Jun 11, 22, 3:05 pm

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by Dovster View Post
I am not saying that cutting and pasting Twitter posts violates our T&Cs. I am asking the Community Director to make it a violation.
I think that some Twitter and other social media material is very much relevant to some of what goes on in FT in the travel and non-travel sections of FT. A blanket ban against including Twitter posts in FT posts? That would make this place a poorer place. If material is being included to try to get around obscenity filters or other standing policy of FT, there are already TOS applicable that can be enforced by the favored FTers enabled with such powers.

Search this Thread