Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > The Suggestion Box
Reload this Page >

Stricter PM rules

Stricter PM rules

Old May 6, 22, 11:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE MM, Bonvoy Tit LT Sil, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond, Accor Gold, UA Silver
Stricter PM rules

90% of the PMs I get are along the lines of:

Hi,

You seem to know a lot.

How do I upgrade my flight?
This isn't technically against the rules, but it's really annoying.

My options are deal with this nonsense, or block all PMs (but the other 10% are actually useful).

It would be nice if there were a rule along the lines of "don't PM stuff that has no reason to be private".

And sometimes a user will PM a slew of active/knowledge posters (in the AC forum) the same exact PM, which seems no different than posting the same thread in ten different forums (which IS against the rules), except no one can even tell that's happening unless we start complaining to each other about useless PMs.
Adam Smith likes this.
Old May 7, 22, 7:46 am
Community Director

Thanks for the suggestion, @canadiancow. I, too, get the occasional PM asking me questions that would be better posted so that everyone can contribute to a response. I always wonder why. But I think some people are shy and it is easier to reach out one on one. Generally it happens with someone who has very few posts. I do my best to answer, but if it is a topic where I have no insight, I suggest that they post publicly in a specific forum. Perhaps you could handle in that way? I want FlyerTalk to be welcoming. I fear that if we added a rule saying to not use the PM system in this way that folks would feel unwelcome. Further, I fear that folks wouldn't read the rule and would still use the PM system.

I think that for you, it is a compliment where folks recognize you as having a lot of knowledge so go directly to you. Try a quick response suggesting that they post publicly. You can then choose to answer or not but the question is there for all to participate.
aztimm, GUWonder and TWA884 like this.
Old Jul 18, 22, 10:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE MM, Bonvoy Tit LT Sil, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond, Accor Gold, UA Silver
It's just very disruptive.

Right now, I get an email for every PM, because a lot of them are time-sensitive or actually "private".

I don't get paid to post here, or reply to PMs. I'm much more inclined to disable PMs entirely than I am to reply to each one saying "post this in the X forum". They notifications are too disruptive.
Old Jul 18, 22, 8:00 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by canadiancow View Post
It's just very disruptive.

Right now, I get an email for every PM, because a lot of them are time-sensitive or actually "private".

I don't get paid to post here, or reply to PMs. I'm much more inclined to disable PMs entirely than I am to reply to each one saying "post this in the X forum". They notifications are too disruptive.
Canít you disable the notifications or set up an email filter to stop those email notifications from popping up?
Old Jul 18, 22, 8:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by GUWonder View Post
Canít you disable the notifications or set up an email filter to stop those email notifications from popping up?
And then I don't get notifications of the ones I do want.

Imagine if your choices were "email notification of all posts in the forum" or "no email notification of any posts in the forum". You're always going to choose the latter.
Old Jul 19, 22, 9:45 am
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
Perhaps you could adjust your signature to politely let other members know that you prefer not to be messaged with "how to" type of questions?
canadiancow and GUWonder like this.
Old Jul 19, 22, 10:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by FlyinHawaiian View Post
Perhaps you could adjust your signature to politely let other members know that you prefer not to be messaged with "how to" type of questions?
I like that suggestion, thanks!
FlyinHawaiian and SanDiego1K like this.
Old Jul 19, 22, 10:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GM on VX, UA, AA, HA, AS, SY; Budget Fastbreak
Originally Posted by canadiancow View Post
I like that suggestion, thanks!
you also arenít obliged to respond to a PM - it can just get deleted.
Old Jul 19, 22, 10:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by gaobest View Post
you also arenít obliged to respond to a PM - it can just get deleted.
The issue is the notifications. I can't turn off notifications for stupid PMs without turning off notifications for all PMs.
Old Jul 19, 22, 11:34 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Do FT member signatures even generally display on the mobile skin version of FT?

Or do they only show up for FTers who are logged in when using the mobile skin version of FT?

Search this Thread