Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > The Suggestion Box
Reload this Page >

Contract of Carriage for Dummies (EC 261 / 2004 & where it applies)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 26, 2019, 4:13 am
Original Poster

Who writes these articles? Is it that hard to do some rudimentary fact checking first?

"The EU has laws in place to protect passengers in the case of flight delays or cancellations within the airline’s control. Make sure you know the difference and understand they do not apply in the United States."
Come on... This is basic EU261 beginner level. That's completely incorrect.
Old Sep 26, 2019, 9:49 am
Ambassador, New England

Programs: Amtrak, WN RR, Choice
It appears to me that it's equally easy/hard as reading the information and guidelines post for this forum before posting in it: Welcome! ♦️Information and guidelines♦️. Glass houses and all that...

Let’s make this a place for solutions, not complaints. Part of any good solution is positivity in suggesting it. Please refrain from snark and contentiousness. Don’t attack an idea another member suggests. Rather, give ideas that make it even better. Or, if a forum is suggested that you believe will be of minimal interest, give some statistics as to why.
Examples of subjects that are encouraged: suggestions regarding board structure, information that is given on the home page, forum descriptions, suggestions for new forums or the closure or merger of existing forums.
This forum is a place to bring an idea or a solution to the attention of FlyerTalk’s Community Director. I will read every post but won’t respond to each. I like to see if there is energy behind an idea. Are there others who also think it’s a good idea? Will discussion occur that results in an even better suggestion? I’m a great believer in group sourcing resulting in stronger action.
Discussion of individual moderators or their actions is not allowed. If you have such an issue, please privately message the Community Director. Likewise, if you have an issue with an individual poster either contact a moderator in the forum where they are posting. However, broader discussion about forum structure is permitted. You want more threads restarted each year? Less? Tell us and tell us why.
(bolding mine)

So I suggest you actually provide some useful information as to what it is you're talking about (something like a link to the article would be great) and what exactly is incorrect about it?

And if the specific author's information is on the article, it would be much more fruitful to contact them directly to either inform them or have them inform you.
Old Sep 26, 2019, 10:00 am

Hey, thank you for calling out my error - I did not explain myself well enough in the article. Earlier in the article I stated that I was only focusing on U.S. domestic flights, so I should have been more clear in my statement here that I meant domestically.

My intention was to make sure people did not confuse EU laws when flying on a U.S. carrier domestically and expect more than they are entitled to.

Again, I appreciate you catching my error - will be more cognizant of my clarity in the future.
mhrb likes this.
Old Sep 26, 2019, 10:02 am
Original Poster

And thanks to lo2e for calling out my error in scrolling down the list of forums and picking this as what appeared to the best one for making a suggestion about the articles without reading the full descriptions for each. My concern was people would read that and miss out on compensation they were legally entitled to.

I also attempted to contact the author directly as suggested by making a comment but it didn't seem to post correctly.

(Are there zero EU-registered carriers that fly domestic US routes? Point to point still banned?)
Taylor Rains likes this.

Last edited by mhrb; Sep 26, 2019 at 10:09 am
Old Sep 26, 2019, 10:05 am

There are none that fly domestically, no. Typically, their code shares provide those flights. For example, London to Las Vegas is on British Airways and the connecting flight to Chicago would be on American.
Old Sep 26, 2019, 10:10 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Taylor Rains
There are none that fly domestically, no. Typically, their code shares provide those flights. For example, London to Las Vegas is on British Airways and the connecting flight to Chicago would be on American.
Except that in this example one wouldn't normally fly LHR-LAS-ORD and in fact it probably wouldn't be a legal routing for a through fare, with broken fares or separate tickets typically being more expensive except for special sale fares.
Old Sep 26, 2019, 10:11 am

It was simply meant to be an example of code shares, we don't need to go into all the logistics of it of why it is legal or not.

Last edited by Taylor Rains; Sep 26, 2019 at 10:48 am
Old Sep 26, 2019, 11:48 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by mhrb
Who writes these articles? Is it that hard to do some rudimentary fact checking first?

Come on... This is basic EU261 beginner level. That's completely incorrect.
This is The Suggestion Box forum.

Examples of subjects that are encouraged: suggestions regarding board structure, information that is given on the home page, forum descriptions, suggestions for new forums or the closure or merger of existing forums.

This forum is a place to bring an idea or a solution to the attention of FlyerTalk’s Community Director. I will read every post but won’t respond to each. I like to see if there is energy behind an idea. Are there others who also think it’s a good idea? Will discussion occur that results in an even better suggestion? I’m a great believer in group sourcing resulting in stronger action.
There’s no publication cited or referral link here, so we don’t even know the information source is being commented on. There’s no clear indication of another forum where this topic would fit better. As this post doesn’t pertain to a specific airline or country, and as the Suggestion Box concerns suggestions pertaining to the administration of FlyerTalk, we will close this thread now.

Several of the airline fora have active threads regarding EC261/2004. The most comprehensive one seems to be The 2019 BA compensation thread: Your guide to Regulation EC261/2004, particularly the first post. For information about EC 261 / 2004, please start there.

Thank you,

JDiver, Co-Moderator

Last edited by JDiver; Sep 27, 2019 at 8:53 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.