Signature line limitation extension from 2 to 3 or 4

Search this Thread

Old Sep 4, 2018, 2:34 pm
Moderator: SAS
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: LX, SK EBD (*G)
Signature line limitation extension from 2 to 3 or 4

I just recently unlocked the signature (yay) and tbh I always had the line in mind that I'd add first: Obviously it must be the last sentence of the amazing movie "Up in the Air":
Tonight most people will be welcomed home by jumping dogs and squealing kids, their spouses will ask about their day, tonight they'll sleep, the stars will wheel forth from their daytime hiding places and one of those lights slightly brighter than the rest will be my wingtip passing over.
To my shock this quote is apparently too long! And this with a movie quote that deserves legendary status in this community!
That's the reason why I'm posting here. I know this may have been wished for several times before and probably denied for good reasons as well, but I can't just let this pass unmentioned:
So consider this post some kind of formal representative protest just for the protocol.
Old Sep 4, 2018, 7:09 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
This is an administrative issue within the purview of the Community Director @SanDiego1K, as the FT Rules determine the length of a signature.

3. Signatures - link to this Rule

A personalized signature is available to you once you have achieved 180 posts and 180 days as a member. Because these signatures appear at the bottom of every post you make, the following rules apply in order to minimize distraction within the forums:
  • Signatures are subject to the rules governing all FlyerTalk content (e.g. those which forbid the furthering of illegal or fraudulent activities, the use of profanity, vulgarity, hatred, abusiveness and harassment).
  • Affiliate or referral links resulting in any form of compensation, including points or miles, are not permitted in signatures.
  • All links and referrals to credit card sign-up pages, marketplaces with a primary purpose to promote the sale or referral of credit cards, or any other offer related to credit cards, are prohibited in signatures. For clarification, if you author a blog focused in the areas of travel, miles and points, your signature may link to your blog — provided that the link is not directly to a post or webpage about credit cards.
  • Except for credit card sign-up offers, signatures that specifically relate to your travel-related commercial ventures are allowed. Other commercial signatures are not allowed.
  • Signatures of a religious or political nature (other than campaigning for FlyerTalk's elected TalkBoard) are not allowed.
  • Signatures containing direct links away from FlyerTalk to charitable activities are not allowed, but you may use a link to your thread in the FlyerTalk Cares forum. (See Rule 11 — Charitable Posts.)
  • You may not manually insert a signature into the body of a message or user profile unless you are an official company representative, as designated by a green-colored username. A brief close in the body of a message, such as, "Regards," "Cheers," "Travel Safely," or "Thanks," with or without your name or user name, is permitted.
  • Graphically, your signature must conform to the following standards:
  • Use no larger than the FlyerTalk default posting font size.
  • Limit it to two lines.
  • Limit the use of emoticons or other highlighting characters/symbols/other keystrokes to 2 (total) per signature.
  • Do not use spaces, characters, symbols or other keystrokes that stretch your signature beyond standard column widths.
  • Do not use all-caps, alternating caps, alternating use of color, or other unconventional methods of attracting attention to your signature. Two emoticons, characters, symbols or other key strokes in addition to text are permitted.
  • Do not embed images of any kind in your signature.
  • Should you wish to not see signatures at all, you may shut them off. You can do so in the Edit Options section of your personal profile. If you have any questions as to whether your intended signature is acceptable, or to report a signature you believe violates the rules, contact the Signature Review Team.

JDiver, Co-Moderator
Old Sep 5, 2018, 5:20 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
So you really want people to read this sentence over and over?? Nowadays I have the signatures on display (Moderators have to) but before that I deactivated it here: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/prof...do=editoptions because I find them rather annoying.
Old Dec 23, 2018, 6:45 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Is there a situation where a signature is valid for display in parts of FT but not valid for display in all forums of FT.

I can see my profile signature — which I’ve had for several years — in some parts of FT while it seems masked in other parts of FT. Is this a current technical glitch or is it something else?

Last edited by GUWonder; Dec 23, 2018 at 6:50 pm
Old Dec 24, 2018, 8:42 am

Originally Posted by GUWonder
Is there a situation where a signature is valid for display in parts of FT but not valid for display in all forums of FT.

I can see my profile signature — which I’ve had for several years — in some parts of FT while it seems masked in other parts of FT. Is this a current technical glitch or is it something else?
Can you please elaborate so it can be checked?

Thank you.

JDiver, Co-Moderator
Old Dec 26, 2018, 8:14 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
Speaking only for myself I think two lines if enough for a 'signature' line and anything more is character clutter.
GUWonder likes this.
Old Jan 3, 2019, 7:24 am

Yeah two lines is more than enough.
GUWonder likes this.
Old Jul 26, 2019, 3:01 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by JDiver
I
s there a situation where a signature is valid for display in parts of FT but not valid for display in all forums of FT.

Can you please elaborate so it can be checked?

Thank you.

JDiver, Co-Moderator
Yes. I can elaborate. To whom at IB should I message about the selectively disappearing signature issue?
Old Jul 26, 2019, 4:13 pm

Yes. I can elaborate. To whom at IB should I message about the selectively disappearing signature issue?
I’d think posting the details here would allow Admin to forward your concern to the proper person.
Old Jul 27, 2019, 9:09 am
Community Director Emerita

My understanding is that when you change your signature, posts from that point forward will show it. Older posts will now. If you experience otherwise, post with @IBobi who will look into it for you.
Old Jul 27, 2019, 2:08 pm
Community Director Emerita

I have now heard from the moderator who has deleted your signature in the TS/S forum. He has explained it to you directly. Your signature is opinion/commentary not practical travel security/safety advice/information.
Old Jul 27, 2019, 4:35 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
I have now heard from the moderator who has deleted your signature in the TS/S forum. He has explained it to you directly. Your signature is opinion/commentary not practical travel security/safety advice/information.
That is news to me, but thank you for the information since I had previously received no direct explanation.

I didn't realize that signatures have to be on-topic for a particular forum or sub-forum in order to be FT TOS-compliant. That must be a new one as I've had words pretty much like my current signature since around the year when FT-enabled signatures or at least prior to March 2016.

Last edited by GUWonder; Jul 27, 2019 at 4:49 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.