Reload this Page >

Carbon Conscious Travel [forum now open - see inside]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 9, 2019, 1:49 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
The Carbon Conscious Travel forum has been launched and can be found here: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/carb...us-travel-769/
Print Wikipost

Carbon Conscious Travel [forum now open - see inside]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 9, 2019, 8:00 am

Originally Posted by PepeBorja
The issue will be on the fine line between those who wish to genuinely inform and those who are activists and enviro-fascists. It already started if you read the replies and will only get worse.

As long as we can tune it out or disable it we should be OK.
I agree that moderation would be a challenge in both directions - in the airline/hotel forums, the mods do a very good job of quickly shutting down OMNI discussion, but the question would just be if the volume would be overwhelming here. Generally speaking, the FT account restrictions are pretty good about keeping out true spammers.

Originally Posted by arcticflier
People who think they can be Carbon Conscious AND fly in aircraft for holiday and work have their head in the sand and/or have little concept of the topic. *eyeroll*

Would be very interested in your opinions as soon as you quit flying and start living a carbon frugal existence.
This post is very exemplary of what is wrong with modern American discourse - everything has to be spoken of in extremes. Either completely unbounded or completely banned (e.g. guns, substances). Could it not be that people want to take the first step in a certain direction without going to the furthest possible extreme? In your mind, no, but in the minds of reasonable people, of course. This is why the rest of the developed world is running ahead of us in many domains - making positive steps with beneficial impacts while we are paralyzed arguing about the furthest possible ends of the spectrum.
brizone likes this.
Old Jul 9, 2019, 8:05 am

Programs: AAdvantage
Please NO! You will regret it.
Old Jul 9, 2019, 8:06 am

Programs: BAEC Blue, BAPP
I think it should have one, it seems the sensible thing to do
brizone likes this.
Old Jul 9, 2019, 8:06 am

Programs: AS MVPG & BoardRoom
Originally Posted by arlflyer
This post is very exemplary of what is wrong with modern American discourse - everything has to be spoken of in extremes. Either completely unbounded or completely banned (e.g. guns, substances). Could it not be that people want to take the first step in a certain direction without going to the furthest possible extreme? In your mind, no, but in the minds of reasonable people, of course. This is why the rest of the developed world is running ahead of us in many domains - making positive steps with beneficial impacts while we are paralyzed arguing about the furthest possible ends of the spectrum.
When you get a more informed understanding of the issue then you will understand that anything less than extreme measures will be insufficient.

I guarantee I live today and have lived the past 50 years being far more environmentally conscious than yourself...but go ahead and paint me with whatever brush makes you feel superior.

I am excusing myself from further participation since you were aggressive and rude and judgemental from your first *eyeroll* post.
PepeBorja likes this.
Old Jul 9, 2019, 8:13 am

When you get a more informed understanding of the issue then you will understand that anything less than extreme measures will be insufficient.

I guarantee I live today and have lived the past 50 years being far more environmentally conscious than yourself...but go ahead and paint me with whatever brush makes you feel superior.
I guess I'm confused about your position - are you saying that there should be a Carbon Conscious forum, or that there shouldn't be because it wouldn't be up to your standards?

Generally speaking, I'm having difficulty here - you apparently live an environmentally conscious lifestyle and believe that "extreme measures" are needed to address the issue, yet attack posters who are in support of giving people a venue through which to discuss first steps. Would you rather the status quo continue? Because we're not going to go straight from A to Z; there will need to be intermediate steps.

Also, I found this quote of yours very apropos, given your second line above:

I always love how FT members manage to work in a good “brag” about themselves with most every topic.
brizone and klausa like this.
Old Jul 9, 2019, 8:43 am

I'm in!

My hometown has a literal mountain made of trash that gets bigger every year. (I was not born with a platinum status card in my mouth! ) I know some of those single use plastics I use as I travel are going to my hometown and making that mountain higher. I don't like contributing to that. I'd love a place to discuss ideas on how to be better.
brizone likes this.
Old Jul 9, 2019, 8:56 am

I don't subscribe at all to the idea of "Man-made climate change" or even "CARBON" being a bad thing (it does give plants life).

BUT!!!! I am in support of a forum here on FT that might give me tips and or tricks on how to travel more environmentally conscience. I think I might be pleasantly surprised with what I might learn.
brizone likes this.
Old Jul 9, 2019, 9:19 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Fellow members: The discussion here is whether or not there could or should be a forum or subforum that discusses Carbon Conscious Travel.

Posts that violate the Rules will be summarily deleted. That includes those containing unfriendly content, attacks against individuals and groups, etc. This section of the Rules in particular will be enforced. Some guidelines:

12. Abusive Or Disruptive Behavior Or Content Link to this topic

12.1 Friendly, Respectful and Welcoming

FlyerTalk is a community and is intended to be a friendly, helpful and collegial place.

Please post in a friendly, respectful, welcoming manner. 'Snarky,' unfriendly posts will not be allowed. If you don't have something constructive to contribute to a thread, please do not post.

Unhelpful posts, such as "Do a search" or those that merely comment on the worthiness of others' posts or threads are neither friendly nor welcoming and will not be allowed. If you can't be helpful or contribute substantive content to a thread, please refrain from posting.

12.2 Avoid Getting Personal

If you have a difference of opinion with another member, challenge the idea — NOT the person. Getting personal with another member is not allowed. Personal attacks, insults, baiting and flaming will not be tolerated.

FlyerTalk is a diverse, multi-cultural community. Expressions of prejudice or discrimination in any form are not permitted (such as those concerning race, nationality, religious belief, gender, sexual orientation, age, disability, etc).

If another member gets personal with you, do not retaliate. Retaliation may well subject you to the same discipline. Instead, please use the 'Alert a moderator to this thread' button in the lower-left-hand-corner of each post, send a note explaining your concern to the moderator team, and leave it to them to handle. Please also see Rule 22 — When you believe someone has violated the rules.
Thank you for contributing your thoughts on this topic thoughtfully and civilly.

JDiver & cblaisd, Co-Moderators
brizone likes this.

Last edited by JDiver; Nov 9, 2019 at 1:41 pm
Old Jul 9, 2019, 9:48 am

Programs: AA LTPlat, Marriott LTTitanium, IHG Spire, Hyatt Globalist
The increase in CO2 since 1900 has increased gross primary productivity of plants worldwide by 31%. So I'm all for anything that increases plant life. More carbon for everyone.
rxgeek likes this.
Old Jul 9, 2019, 10:27 am

Programs: w/+1: AS MVPG; IHG/Marriott Plat; Hilton/BW Diamond; Hertz Prez; SG Silver
I vote no. Who would change their travel plans to reduce their "carbon footprint"?
Old Jul 9, 2019, 10:44 am

Originally Posted by rxgeek
Who would change their travel plans to reduce their "carbon footprint"?
Enough people that the EU is going to start carbon-rating airliners:

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...concerns-mount

Also, in a timely move, the New York Times announced just today that its travel desk will start buying offsets for all trips:

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/07/09/r...n-offsets.html
brizone likes this.
Old Jul 9, 2019, 11:34 am

No, No, No, totally irrelevant to why frequent fliers read this forum!. Furthermore, it can be a polarizing issue as demonstrated by responses to-date. Don't taint an excellent travel forum with something that might leave a "bad taste" for many readers.
psiddle and PepeBorja like this.
Old Jul 9, 2019, 11:49 am

Programs: Southwest Zone C, Howard Johnson Platinum, Costco Business Member, Uber Diamond
Bravo, bfollett!!
Old Jul 9, 2019, 12:47 pm

Programs: *G, used to be with TK but left due to their corruption and political ties
Great idea

Great idea Prospero! I'm in
Old Jul 9, 2019, 2:59 pm

Do not do this topic

This is a travel blog. It should not be about a pseudo science political argument. Man made global warming is only a theory as it has never been proven one way or the other. I can provide a plethora of citations both ways to illustrate this, but I will not go into this on a travel site. Stick to travel related topics.
PepeBorja likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.