FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   The Suggestion Box (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/suggestion-box-756/)
-   -   Carbon Conscious Travel [forum now open - see inside] (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/suggestion-box/1976199-carbon-conscious-travel-forum-now-open-see-inside.html)

Prospero Jun 30, 2019 9:23 am

Carbon Conscious Travel [forum now open - see inside]

I'd like to raise the subject of Carbon Conscious Travel in its broadest scope within the FlyerTalk space, with a view of possibly forming a dedicated forum for this and related topics

Possible subject matter could include:
  • environmentally friendly travel questions and tips, ie. alternatives to single use plastics
  • carbon embodiment in new hotels, airport construction, and infrastructure
  • carbon benchmarking
  • carbon calculation, tracking, and offsetting

I'll confess as a Generation Xer I'm not at the forefront in this area but I am learning fast and have made adjustments in how I travel but acknowledge there is more I could do. I also recognise this is a hot topic among younger generations and as a community there is a lot we can learn from them.

JDiver Jun 30, 2019 11:28 am

/Moderator hat off

I think there are numerous topics that could fit under this rubric that could contribute to the discussion of how we can travel “more softly” and offset our carbon footprint as we travel. Great suggestion.

devdas Jul 9, 2019 5:18 am

++ in support.

psiddle Jul 9, 2019 6:10 am

Please, no.

I beseech FT to not enter the PC arena!

MDteX Jul 9, 2019 6:17 am

I agree with psiddle. Do not enter a political area. That is not what I came here for.

rufuswhynot Jul 9, 2019 6:19 am

Not needed here.

Please. Let the green 'save the planet' warriors join in one of the many global warming sites already out there.
Not this site.

zitsky Jul 9, 2019 6:19 am

Originally Posted by psiddle (Post 31284725)
I beseech FT to not enter the PC arena!

I'm ok with it, as long as it does not become a forum for some posters to talk down to or criticize others because they are not environmental enough. I could see this forum having constant debates about who is right and who is wrong.

bluemarble Jul 9, 2019 6:25 am

Climate change is not "political." It is scientific. And, yes, very much associated with air travel, for better or for worse.

Prospero Jul 9, 2019 6:26 am

Here's a good example of the travel industry's response to the growing demand for greater sustainability

https://www.usgbc.org/articles/hotel...ing-green-leed

Good news: the pace of green building in the hospitality sector is on the rise, and it doesn’t require making any sacrifice in the luxury of your stay away from home!

Across the world, demand for green hotels is rising. Today, LEED-certified hotels of all sizes are found in more than 40 U.S. states, 31 countries and five continents. It’s a movement sparked in part by guest preferences. According to a recent TripAdvisor survey, nearly two-thirds of travelers reported plans to make more environmentally friendly choices over the next year. And while on vacation, 88 percent of travelers turned off lights when not in their hotel room, 78 percent participated in the hotel's linen and towel reuse program and 58 percent used recycling in the hotel.

In response to this shift, companies such as Starwood’s Elements brand, Richard Branson’s Virgin Hotels and Hyatt Hotels include LEED mandates and policies in their design and construction specs. ITC Hotels in India requires not just LEED certification, but also top performance.
Does anyone here actively check LEED certification scores when selecting hotels?

psiddle Jul 9, 2019 6:46 am

Originally Posted by bluemarble (Post 31284766)
Climate change is not "political." It is scientific. And, yes, very much associated with air travel, for better or for worse.

Here we go.

PeS Jul 9, 2019 6:47 am

Originally Posted by rufuswhynot (Post 31284741)
Please. Let the green 'save the planet' warriors join in one of the many global warming sites already out there.
Not this site.

+1000

Prospero Jul 9, 2019 6:52 am

I think there is plenty of space in the OMNI forums for existential discussions on climate change. What I am doing here is testing the water to see if there is demand on FT to discuss practical sustainability issues and initiatives

arlflyer Jul 9, 2019 6:53 am

Hopefully the people who think that climate change is "political" have never asked how an airplane works, because aircraft happen to be designed using that same "science" mumbo jumbo that fuels the hot air bags of those durn young hippy whippersnappers and their "green" nonsense... *eyeroll*

THAT BEING SAID...FT already has forums that are tailored to the needs/interests of groups that not everyone is in alignment with (Smoking Lounge, GLBT Travelers, etc. - to clarify, personally I strongly support both of these groups even though I am not a member of either demographic).

So if someone is saying that having a climate conscious / low impact travel forum would be crossing some Rubicon, they have their head in the sand or are cherry-picking.

PepeBorja Jul 9, 2019 7:21 am

The issue will be on the fine line between those who wish to genuinely inform and those who are activists and enviro-fascists. It already started if you read the replies and will only get worse.

As long as we can tune it out or disable it we should be OK.

arcticflier Jul 9, 2019 7:44 am

Originally Posted by arlflyer (Post 31284862)
Hopefully the people who think that climate change is "political" have never asked how an airplane works, because aircraft happen to be designed using that same "science" mumbo jumbo that fuels the hot air bags of those durn young hippy whippersnappers and their "green" nonsense... *eyeroll”

So if someone is saying that having a climate conscious / low impact travel forum would be crossing some Rubicon, they have their head in the sand or are cherry-picking.

People who think they can be Carbon Conscious AND fly in aircraft for holiday and work have their head in the sand and/or have little concept of the topic. *eyeroll*

Would be very interested in your opinions as soon as you quit flying and start living a carbon frugal existence.