FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Support and Feedback (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/technical-support-feedback-386/)
-   -   The "quick reply" feature is simply confusing (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/technical-support-feedback/1967916-quick-reply-feature-simply-confusing.html)

moondog May 2, 2019 5:37 am

The "quick reply" feature is simply confusing

I lost two posts today because I clicked the "quick reply" button. Basically, it was not quick at all, but wanted me to perform an additional step. The old method was perfectly fine for me and others. What was the point of messing with it?

JDiver May 2, 2019 11:29 am

Originally Posted by moondog (Post 31059268)
I lost two posts today because I clicked the "quick reply" button. Basically, it was not quick at all, but wanted me to perform an additional step. The old method was perfectly fine for me and others. What was the point of messing with it?

I think that option has been here for a while, but IMO it’s unnecessarily redundant. I wonder if it’s just a remnant of a previous version of VB. I’ll be interested to see Admin’s quick reply. :D

moondog May 2, 2019 4:12 pm

Originally Posted by JDiver (Post 31060414)
I think that option has been here for a while, but IMO it’s unnecessarily redundant. I wonder if it’s just a remnant of a previous version of VB. I’ll be interested to see Admin’s quick reply. :D

Cool. My rec is to simply remove the quick reply button.

SanDiego1K May 2, 2019 9:42 pm

@IBobi, would you please take a look at this?

JDiver Jan 10, 2020 10:03 pm

We have moved this to the Technical Support and Feedback forum because this issue is more of a technical issue than a FlyerTalk administration suggestion such as a new or relocated forum, etc.

JDiver, Co-Moderator

IBJoel Jan 13, 2020 8:18 am

We need more info, moondog (great username, by the way). Are you on the mobile skin or desktop? If the latter, did you type in the text box and then click "Post Quick Reply" below it and your post disappeared? If it's on mobile skin, it will likely take time to remove, if at all, since mobile is a standard core software for vBulletin sites. But I can still ask the core team to re-evaluate it.

MSPeconomist Jan 13, 2020 8:24 am

I like it (full version, I don't use the mobile unless forced to do so on a phone), but I've noticed a few times when I seem to have clicked to move to a different thread or back to the listing of threads in a forum when I wanted to hit the button to post what I wrote.

However, when something like that happens, I can never figure out what determined whether (most of) what I wrote is saved or not. The "auto-saved" draft feature seems to be inconsistent IME.

I've also noticed that whether the message is quoted in my reply seems inconsistent in that sometimes the box stays checked while at other times I must always manually check it with no apparent logic of which way it will work on a given day in some particular forum etc.

IBobi Jan 13, 2020 3:41 pm

This is from last May, guys.

moondog Jan 13, 2020 3:54 pm

Originally Posted by IBobi (Post 31946273)
This is from last May, guys.

You are correct, and I've learned to simply ignore the quick reply buttons (there are at least 2). I'm not exactly a UI expert, but I do know my own (software company) customers dislike having to think. As such, I try to avoid giving them many ways to pull off the same task.

In the FT case, "reply" and "quote" are obviously essential functions. "quick reply" is redundant. I've actually never used "multi quote", but I'm thinking this could be incorporated into the "quote" function.

Just my 2 cents.

-E