Wiki Posts
Search

Closing old threads

Search this Thread

Old Oct 2, 2018, 11:15 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL Skymiles KE Skypass
Closing old threads

I am wondering why FT doesn't automatically close threads to new postings after a certain period of time? I see Moderators admonish posters if they resurrect a thread that has been dormant as information may no longer be current, or is not relevant to current events. They subsequently close the thread themselves.

In some of the other boards I have frequented in the past, the threads were closed to new postings after a year if there were no new posts to that thread. This would save the moderators some time in policing this issue as well as keeping things current. A poster could always add a link back to the original closed thread if they needed to reference it.

Just inquiring....
Old Oct 3, 2018, 5:28 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Technically it is certainly feasible, but as this is more of a policy decision we will move it to The Suggestion Box forum for the Community Director’s attention.

Thank you.

JDiver and cblaisd, Co-Moderators
Old Oct 6, 2018, 11:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

there are practically zero positive reasons to do this, and many reasons NOT to do it

moderators can simply look at a bumped thread and decide whether they want to lock it, i dont recall seeing any moderators here saying they lock every single bumped thread over a certain age

not all forums (on FT) are the same
Old Oct 6, 2018, 2:36 pm

Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
there are practically zero positive reasons to do this, and many reasons NOT to do it

moderators can simply look at a bumped thread and decide whether they want to lock it, i dont recall seeing any moderators here saying they lock every single bumped thread over a certain age

not all forums (on FT) are the same
Just as points of information and from a Moderator perspective - we gather for training, we discuss these issues, we adhere to expectations and best practices developed and updated by the Moderator team and the Community Director:

Some time ago the Rules discussed bumping up old threads. Perhaps as a result, a number of members disfavor bumping up older threads, but the Rules do not prohibit it. (Most active posters probably do not bump up old threads in any case.)

If the thread is still current and contains accurate information, if the post adds value or if a question is asked that the thread and / or Wikipost address currently, and continuity is maintained rather than disrupted, there’s no reason not to allow an older thread to remain open and accept newer posts.

When an old thread that’s not germane, accurate or contains outdated information is bumped, the responsible Moderator will generally close the thread with a closing note and link to a new thread the bumping post has been moved to. Obsolete threads are often handled similarly and archived.
Old Oct 6, 2018, 2:51 pm

The somewhat simple solution would be to move old threads to an Archive folder in the database. Configure normal searches to search the "Current" threads. Give folks the ability to choose to search Archive if they like. This would force people to choose to go looking for old threads to dredge up and eliminate the vast majority of the non-relevant resurfacing of threads.
Old Oct 6, 2018, 7:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

merging (whatever is merged) for example is entirely different from closing

xooz, that is a whole lot of information 'loss' and complexity, not to mention "forcing" etc

'spam' ish posts are a separate issue even though it can overlap many other areas such as this and are most likely most commonly not bumps when by new posters

Originally Posted by JDiver
Most active posters probably do not bump up old threads in any case.)
ever, for any reason? this is the problem with coded 100% of the time procedures.

did the past rules give a specific date?

are there any blanket forum-wide policies on FT? mods have a lot of discretion
GUWonder likes this.

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Oct 6, 2018 at 7:57 pm
Old Oct 7, 2018, 8:20 am

Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
merging (whatever is merged) for example is entirely different from closing

xooz, that is a whole lot of information 'loss' and complexity, not to mention "forcing" etc

'spam' ish posts are a separate issue even though it can overlap many other areas such as this and are most likely most commonly not bumps when by new posters

ever, for any reason? this is the problem with coded 100% of the time procedures.

did the past rules give a specific date?

are there any blanket forum-wide policies on FT? mods have a lot of discretion
Spam posts are deleted by “un-bumps” the thread to its previous position.

The Rules (blanket forum-wide policies on FT) can be read here; there is no mention or restriction about bumping up older threads. Iirc years ago two years may have been in the obsolete Rules.

I have mentioned the Best Practices Mods are encouraged to follow.
Old Oct 7, 2018, 9:13 am
Community Director Emerita

Thank you for posting the topic. I had a robust conversation with the mods about it. The consensus is to not implement it. TripAdvisor is given as the prime example of where threads are closed at a specific time. Folks find it unwelcoming to find a thread that is right on target but has been closed due to lack of responses. Mods agree they would rather that an old thread be bumped than have this happen. They then have the opportunity to decide whether to leave the thread as is, split the new post off into a new thread, or move it to a newer thread where a similar conversation is occurring This seems more welcoming of members.

SanDiego1K
Community Director
Old Oct 8, 2018, 4:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
I had a robust conversation with the mods about it. The consensus is to not implement it. TripAdvisor is given as the prime example of where threads are closed at a specific time. Folks find it unwelcoming to find a thread that is right on target but has been closed due to lack of responses. Mods agree they would rather that an old thread be bumped than have this happen. They then have the opportunity to decide whether to leave the thread as is, split the new post off into a new thread, or move it to a newer thread where a similar conversation is occurring This seems more welcoming of members.
i could not agree with this more strongly, it (and deletions) keep me running far away from tripadvisor and loving flyertalk

admirable many mods are more concerned with welcoming members than trying to code reductions in workload

also always great to have regular discussions
Old Oct 9, 2018, 9:17 pm

I see a problem with the assumption that old threads have no current relevance or value. For example, there's a thread on parking that I started 11 years ago that keeps popping up in the Disability forum because the info is still relevant and the links accurate. Periodically someone asks a new question and updates, if needed, are made. That thread contains valuable info for a specialized situation, and deleting it would take away info collected by that community that is hard to find elsewhere.

If a resurrected thread is no longer accurate or useful, lock it. But don't assume every old thread is worthless.
JDiver, jackal, tcl and 1 others like this.
Old Oct 10, 2018, 9:07 am

Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
Thank you for posting the topic. I had a robust conversation with the mods about it. The consensus is to not implement it. TripAdvisor is given as the prime example of where threads are closed at a specific time. Folks find it unwelcoming to find a thread that is right on target but has been closed due to lack of responses. Mods agree they would rather that an old thread be bumped than have this happen. They then have the opportunity to decide whether to leave the thread as is, split the new post off into a new thread, or move it to a newer thread where a similar conversation is occurring This seems more welcoming of members.

SanDiego1K
Community Director
Thank you all for your input and comments.

The policy decision at this time, posted above by the Community Director, is continuing with current FT policy and Moderator best practices and not automatically lock or close threads solely based on the age of the thread.

The purpose of this thread has been fulfilled, so it will now be closed.

JDiver & cblaisd, Co-Moderators

Last edited by JDiver; Feb 15, 2019 at 8:21 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.