Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > The Suggestion Box
Reload this Page >

On adding a military travel forum under the special interest section

Old Mar 14, 18, 7:39 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton - Diamond; SPG/Marriott - Gold

There are a number of topics that are unique to military members (Space-A Travel, PCS Travel, Per Diem and Travel Allowances, military museum discounts, credit cards with waived annual fees, other military discounts, etc.). It would be easier to seek these subjects out if there were a forum for those members.

If approved and there were a need, I would volunteer to moderate.

Thank you.
Old Mar 15, 18, 5:39 am
Ambassador, New England

Programs: Amtrak, WN RR, Choice
Do you know if there is currently a large amount of discussion on FlyerTalk regarding these things? I think all of those topics deserve to go somewhere, I just don't know if a whole forum is the right idea. Perhaps a Master Thread (with some sort of index) would be the place to start, but I don't know what forum to put it in. TravelBuzz maybe? Just thinking out loud...
Old Mar 17, 18, 7:43 am
Original Poster

A master thread would work. I don't think there's a large amount of military discussion on Flyertalk, but it's hard to gauge because it's hard to find. When you search for military by thread title, the results run from credit card fee waivers for the military to the Turkish military coup. On the other hand, military posts sprinkled throughout other non-military threads, such as the SCRA benefits being curtailed on the Barclay Black/Gold cards.

It would be helpful if there were a thread that linked to big categories (SCRA benefits, USAA, PCS travel, military travel discounts).
Old Mar 18, 18, 7:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
Programs: HH Diamond, Priority Club Platinum
Per diem is not specific to military. Government employees also deal with that, as do many private business employees.

I'm also pretty sure there are a lot of current resources for US military benefits, like military.com.
tcook052 likes this.
Old Mar 18, 18, 7:26 am
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

I wouldn't mind a thread or forum that discussed FMWR travel accomodation options. Review threads like we have for individual hotels in the hotel chains forum.
Old Mar 18, 18, 10:12 am
Original Poster

Yes, maybe a MWR/ITT thread; another about billeting/base amenities; another about Space-A flights/experiences; and another about military resorts (Seward, Hale Koa, the one in the Rockies, and the one in Germany).
Aventine likes this.
Old Mar 18, 18, 10:52 pm
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Blind and Green View Post
Yes, maybe a MWR/ITT thread; another about billeting/base amenities; another about Space-A flights/experiences; and another about military resorts (Seward, Hale Koa, the one in the Rockies, and the one in Germany).
For me, I could contribute to discussion for East Asia like DHL in Seoul and New Sanno in Tokyo.

Search this Thread