FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   The Suggestion Box (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/suggestion-box-756/)
-   -   Whole category (non-chain hotels) missing (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/suggestion-box/1893569-whole-category-non-chain-hotels-missing.html)

dulciusexasperis Feb 12, 2018 10:19 am

Whole category (non-chain hotels) missing

Under the sub-forum Hotels and Places to Stay, there is a whole list of hotel chains, then a category for 'other chains' and then a category for 'non-hotel' such as Airbnb etc. Why is there no place for NON-CHAIN hotels? Obviously, it is not a news flash that independent hotels exist and many are equal to or better than chain hotels. Surely there should be a place to post about them.

SanDiego1K Feb 12, 2018 11:34 am

Originally Posted by dulciusexasperis (Post 29408607)
Under the sub-forum Hotels and Places to Stay, there is a whole list of hotel chains, then a category for 'other chains' and then a category for 'non-hotel' such as Airbnb etc. Why is there no place for NON-CHAIN hotels? Obviously, it is not a news flash that independent hotels exist and many are equal to or better than chain hotels. Surely there should be a place to post about them.

This is an interesting point. For much of FlyerTalk's history, forums were set up for companies who issued miles or points. We have been gradually evolving to include discussion about travel that doesn't have such programs. Perhaps now is the time to expand the charter of the Other Hotel forum. Let's see what thoughts others have.

A question for you: If we expand the existing forum, what should it say to include the topics of interest to you?
Other Hotel ChainsAny hotel chain without a dedicated forum such as La Quinta, Shangri-La, Swissotel, and Langham

Mary2e Feb 12, 2018 11:40 am

Other hotel chains would be a good title, then you could add Other Hotels - Non-Chain, or something similar.

dulciusexasperis Feb 12, 2018 3:04 pm

Originally Posted by SanDiego1K (Post 29408883)
This is an interesting point. For much of FlyerTalk's history, forums were set up for companies who issued miles or points. We have been gradually evolving to include discussion about travel that doesn't have such programs. Perhaps now is the time to expand the charter of the Other Hotel forum. Let's see what thoughts others have.

A question for you: If we expand the existing forum, what should it say to include the topics of interest to you?
Other Hotel ChainsAny hotel chain without a dedicated forum such as La Quinta, Shangri-La, Swissotel, and Langham

Well I don't know how you would prefer to sub-title and word it SanDiego1K, but perhaps something like this.

'Non-Chain Hotels. For those unique and independent hotels that belong to no chain and are worth knowing about.'

There is a thread I started in Travel Buzz on 'Avoiding Chain Hotels' that you might want to take a look at and you will find a half dozen hotels I added links to in that thread that fit the category as examples. If you look at them and then ask yourself if any of them might appeal to you personally, even if they don't get you any 'points'. Personally, I prefer independents over chain any time. I like hotels with personality, something generally not found in chain hotels. Smaller boutique hotels with far fewer rooms and far more personal service.

And I should add, quite often at a lower price for the same quality of accommodation, if you know where to look. That makes 'points' no advantage at all.

tcook052 Feb 19, 2018 7:56 pm

Originally Posted by SanDiego1K (Post 29408883)

Swissotel is a FRHI Hotels & Resorts brand and so already has a home in the Fairmont forum.

Jasper2009 Feb 19, 2018 10:04 pm

Originally Posted by dulciusexasperis (Post 29408607)

It's an interesting suggestion. However, I'd argue that the scope of such a forum would be far too broad and the current approach of keeping any such discussion in the destinations forums (or the "LUxury forum" if appropiate) works much better.

Jasper2009 Feb 19, 2018 10:10 pm

Originally Posted by tcook052 (Post 29436304)
Swissotel is a FRHI Hotels & Resorts brand and so already has a home in the Fairmont forum.

Actually, the scope of the Fairmont / Fairmont President's Club forum has generally been limited to discussing Fairmont properties and the Fairmont President's Club forum and has generally only included Swissotel and Raffles to the extent it affects FPC members (e.g. cross-brand benefits etc.)

There has been very little discussion of and interest in the Swissotel loyalty program on FT, but any such discussion has generally taken place in the "Other Hotel Chains" sub-forum whereas discussions surrounding Raffles properties have generally taken place in the Luxury Travel forum.

However, once Fairmont, Swissotel and Raffles are integrated into the Accor program, it may make sense to revisit this issue.

dulciusexasperis Feb 20, 2018 11:03 am

Originally Posted by Jasper2009 (Post 29436674)
It's an interesting suggestion. However, I'd argue that the scope of such a forum would be far too broad and the current approach of keeping any such discussion in the destinations forums (or the "LUxury forum" if appropiate) works much better.

It's certainly easy enough for someone to post in the destinations forums, something like, 'does anyone have a hotel to suggest in X?' However, when there is already a list of individual chain sub forums and a sub forum for 'other chains' in that list, then presumably, it is quite simple(tech wise) to add another sub forum of 'non-chain/independent hotels' where someone interested specifically in non-chain hotels could post their questions. In fact, I would argue that in some respects it could be viewed as a glaring oversight. When a forum is named 'Places to Stay', should it not cover all possibilities? There is another sub forum for 'non-hotel' which covers Airbnb, B&B's etc. but nowhere that covers independent hotels at all. Why should that category be left out but all others have a place?

I'm not sure what you mean by saying it would be 'far too broad'. It is a sub-category, which by definition means it is the opposite of 'broad'. It gives posters a place to add a specific question on a specific sub-category and perhaps even more importantly, browse previous threads to see if anyone has suggested independent hotels in areas they plan to visit. Would you suggest it is easier for them to browse for independent hotels in the destination forums?

Regarding, 'works much better', I would ask how you come to that judgement? For someone to say that something 'works much better', they have to have tried both do they not? I would argue you are simply arguing against change as people so often do. It may be your opinion that the status quo would work better, but it certainly cannot be made as a statement of fact which is what you are doing.

I believe in the saying, 'when you are green you are growing, when you are ripe you rot.' Things that change and grow are always preferable to maintaining the status quo in other words. As far as I can see, it would cost the forum powers that be, pretty much nothing to add a sub forum. What do you see as there being to lose?

tcook052 Feb 20, 2018 8:13 pm

Originally Posted by Jasper2009 (Post 29436688)
Actually, the scope of the Fairmont / Fairmont President's Club forum has generally been limited to discussing Fairmont properties and the Fairmont President's Club forum and has generally only included Swissotel and Raffles to the extent it affects FPC members (e.g. cross-brand benefits etc.)

Apologies as I thought I'd seen some discussion over the years on specific Swissotel hotels in the Fairmont forum.

Kagehitokiri Feb 20, 2018 8:25 pm

good idea for forum under https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hotels-places-stay-389/

btw interestingly enough Best Western is marketing co-op not corporate franchisor