Search

Expand "How to Survive Hotel Fire" Sticky to All Hotel Fora

Search this Thread

Old Oct 10, 2017, 1:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Expand "How to Survive Hotel Fire" Sticky to All Hotel Fora

In light of the fires in Santa Rosa including the very scary accounts at the Hilton, I would propose that the "How to Survive a Hotel Fire" thread be expanded so that it's viewable as a sticky at the top of all the hotel forums.

I know it gets decent visibility in TravelBuzz but it just is such important advice for anyone staying in a hotel it might be benefit the whole community if it gets additional eyeballs through being posted as a sticky at the top of every hotel forum.

Thread link: How to Survive a Hotel Fire.
Old Nov 13, 2017, 4:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Any thoughts?
Old Nov 16, 2017, 6:07 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by Duke787
Any thoughts?
Shouldn't it be in the Travel Safety & Security part of FT?
Old Jan 1, 2018, 8:52 am
Moderator: Travel Buzz

Originally Posted by GUWonder
Shouldn't it be in the Travel Safety & Security part of FT?
I like that idea. Sometimes just moving a thread breathes new life into it.

Since reading the thread, I always make a mental note about where the exits are.

Although the thread is very valuable, I'm not sure I agree to place it as a sticky in all hotel forums. Partially because the advice in the thread is general. By singling out that particular thread, it implies that it is the very most important thread in the hotel forums overall. This could be perceived as an endorsement of the content. FT is not an emergency training forum. Some input in the thread could be wrong. Or wrong for that particular situation. A firefighter contributed to the thread and, among other things, brought up that leaving your room may be more dangerous than staying, and that every situation is different (post number 119).
I also wonder how many people besides myself wonder what to do/how to stay safe/survive in the (albeit unlikely) event of any other type of emergency. Earthquakes, storms, terrorists, etc. Or, the elephant in this particular room- a plane crash.

These are changing times: I have friends who limit their attendance in crowded events, due to the potential of shooters. Many, many people are afraid to travel due to this type of fear, also. They feel that travel increases the chances of being in a terrorist attack. Never mind that driving your car to the airport is more likely to kill you. I have a high fear threshold, but I admit it crosses my mind now, whereas in the past, it never did.

My daughter is a nursing student and works in various area hospitals. She has many stories of people on vacation who end up in the hospital.

Why would any of these topics be less important than the hotel fire situation? We wouldn't want to sticky every one of them.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.