Search

Suggestion: Broaden and rededicate iDine / Rewards Network forum

Search this Thread

Old Aug 9, 2017, 5:12 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Suggestion: Broaden and rededicate iDine / Rewards Network forum

I'm making a suggestion to rededicate the very slow iDine / Rewards Network forum to something broader, perhaps "Dining and Travel Related Rewards Programs", or at least to get some discussion and input for the Community Director its the purpose of broaden and reactivating a nearly static forum.

The iDine / Rewards Program forum used to be fairly busy some years ago. Some members (including yours truly) earned well over 100,000 miles / points annually (though iirc jailer or NJUPINTHEAIR was the most active and maximum earner). (It was sufficiently busy to benefit from a Moderator, which I was for a few years.)

The program (which encompasses several airline dining programs, a cash back program, etc.) today is a shadow of its former self. Whereas one could earn 10 miles, and even 15 or 20 miles, per dollar spent, and was presented with a variety of bonus earning opportunities. today if one maintains "VIP" status one earns 5 miles per dollar spent.

The forum reflects these and other program changes; few posts, little interest.

But there have been changes in the earn awards for dining environment.

MOGL has come to the Internet. One can enroll credit cards, similarly to RN, and earn cash back, points or generate cash for charities.

ThanksAgain has made the scene - rewards earned by eating and shopping at airports, again enrolling credit cards. booking.com, American Airlines, JetBlue, TSA PreCheck and a number of other travel related partners.

I suspect there are others that aren't airline, hotel, rental car etc. schemes that are attractive to travelers, and if so I'm sure my fellow members could shout them out here.

Last edited by JDiver; Aug 9, 2017 at 5:20 pm
Old Aug 10, 2017, 5:17 pm
Community Director Emerita

This is a very interesting suggestion. I hope that others weigh in. I had lunch out today specifically to qualify for an Alaska Airlines promo. I used my Freedom credit card because this quarter it earns 5x points at restaurants. Much to my surprise, I received an email after my card was run saying that I received 21% of the bill in MOGL credits. I signed up for MOGL perhaps two years ago but have absolutely no idea how to use the credit once I get to the magic level of $10.
Old Aug 10, 2017, 11:37 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
I'd propose closing the "very slow" iDine forum altogether.
Old Aug 11, 2017, 9:02 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by tcook052
I'd propose closing the "very slow" iDine forum altogether.
Where would the iDine / Rewards Network posts go?
Old Aug 11, 2017, 7:30 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
Originally Posted by JDiver
The few dozen iDine forum posts per year, you mean? I'd merge the current iDine, Amtrak and Gaming forums into a single "Other Loyalty Programs/Partners" forum to house all topics from this trio of sources plus any others.

A forum description could outline what topics are intended for the broader forum which to me makes more sense than trying to broaden or rededicate one forum that is so lightly trafficked.

That is of course merely MHO.
Old Oct 16, 2017, 2:23 pm
Community Director Emerita

Any more thoughts on this? I'm inclined to move ahead.
Old Oct 17, 2017, 9:48 am
Original Poster

My opinion is to consider some merging of all dining programs but, contrary to my esteemed colleague's recommendation, to refrain from merging the baby and the bath water - I think iDine, AMTRAK and Gaming are just too wide a spread for one forum.
cblaisd likes this.
Old Oct 18, 2017, 6:38 pm
Senior Moderator and Moderator: American AAdvantage & TravelBuzz

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by JDiver
Just my two cents...I'd be happy to see the iDine threads get folded into the DiningBuzz forum.

Yes, DiningBuzz hasn't been "rewards-focused" in the past, but it is where a lot of dining/food discussion already takes place. And with the shift/devaluation of iDine over the years, I'd argue that the discussion has also shifted from "by the way, if you want to earn a bunch of miles, enroll in this dining program" to "oh, if you're already eating at these places, use this program to earn a couple extra miles."
JDiver likes this.
Old Oct 18, 2017, 9:48 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JY1024
Just my two cents...I'd be happy to see the iDine threads get folded into the DiningBuzz forum.

Yes, DiningBuzz hasn't been "rewards-focused" in the past, but it is where a lot of dining/food discussion already takes place. And with the shift/devaluation of iDine over the years, I'd argue that the discussion has also shifted from "by the way, if you want to earn a bunch of miles, enroll in this dining program" to "oh, if you're already eating at these places, use this program to earn a couple extra miles."
That sounds reasonable to me. MOGL and ThanksAgain could fit there too, in that case.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.