Suggest FT add “Like” button [implemented 9 Aug 2017]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 8, 2017, 9:37 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
The new "Like" "button"

When you click on the "Like" button, it registers the handle of the user liking the post in a horizontal box immediately below the "Like" button. "Liking" a post also optionally sends a notification to the post owner. "Like" notifications appear in Your Control Panel in My FlyerTalk.

To turn the notification function on or off, look in Your Control Panel and Settings & Options under Messaging & Notification:

Likes Notifications:
  • Enable Likes Notifications
  • Disable Likes Notifications

NOTE: Editing a post causes the "Likes" to disappear for a short period of time. They are restored after that pause.

To report issues, problems etc. please visit this thread in the Technical Support and Feedback forum: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/technical-support-feedback/1863159-new-like-button-information-issues-discussion.html

LIST OF SUGGESTIONS, PROS and CONS discussed in thread:

Please add all your suggestions since implementation, August 9 2017:
  1. Modify Like button to take up less real estate - ie, put the button w/ the other buttons & likes under signatures or list only if hover
  2. Allow members to completely turn off the ability to see likes
  3. Use Helpful instead of Like
  4. Completely eliminate Like button
  5. Do not display handles of those who Liked the post

"Some FTers are supportive of like/helpful button. Some are not. Some on both sides of the issue have questions, concerns and/or need more info. This wiki attempts to highlight them in bullet format/"cliff notes" version from the 566 posts made in prior Talkboard thread, which had 700 posts. More detailed information regarding the pros/cons/questions/concerns/info can be garnered by reading the entire thread, where FTers on both sides of the like/helpful button have been eloquent/provided valuable input. When TalkBoard last polled FT members, the result of the poll was in favour of introducing likes (by a considerable margin)

Pros:
* Make Flyertalk more modern/more like Facebook, LinkedIn and many other social media sites
* A like/helpful button would minimize unnecessary replies such as +1.
* Streamlines posts
* The value add of showing likes, helpful votes, etc. is that it can surface good content and get more views for it
* Positive feedback incentivizes quality content/FTers will post more
* Some people won’t take time to write a thank you but will post a like
* Those with more likes/helpfuls are considered knowledgable

Cons:
* Makes Flyertalk more like Facebook/dumbs it down
* FT had rating system here years ago and it did not go well
* System can be gamed/cliques develop
* Clutters up posts/takes up valuable screen space
* Will not eliminate +1s/+1s also provide positive feedback
* Posts that have inaccurate info can also get likes/doesn't mean poster is knowledgable
* If FTers post info & it doesn't get likes/helpfuls, less incentive to post more
* Some who might have posted info in the past will now just post like, so less information provided to other FTers.

Questions, concerns about how it will work, and/or information based on brief internal trial already done (trial done last time it came up for discussion)
* If implemented, can FTers who prefer not to utilize the like/helpful button turn it off so that they don't see it at all?
* Is there a software way to separate likes of posts from posters? (Limited trial indicates no; don't know if software can be changed to do so)
* Can a post/day count be implemented before implementing for FTers, similar Omni/CC? (Yes)
* Can certain forums have it turned off such as Omni? (No, current software is it's either all forums or none)
* If a sitewide trial is created, what are the metrics for success or failure?
* What is the goal of this/how will the data be used?
* If customization of current software is required, will this take away from development on other projects such as a better mobile app?
* Will or can there be a dislike/unhelpful button?
* What happens if a post that is "liked" gets its content edited and ends up having a different meaning than it initially had at the time the post was "liked"?
* Can threads or individual posts deemed helpful be bookmarked/saved?"

IBobi responded to theses comments and questions here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/28664495-post59.html

Print Wikipost

Suggest FT add “Like” button [implemented 9 Aug 2017]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 18, 2017, 4:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

besides no counter (on post) - a random thought : there might be way to have some kind of variable indicator rather than counts of 200/2,000/etc, in other words do those kinds of high counts really add information after a certain threshold. not sure if any of that kind of thing is possible, or even if not having counter at all is possible.

Originally Posted by nsx
Helpful button, with per-post count but no per-member count.

I see no great value and significant hazard in showing which members upvoted a post.
if easily done, definitely seems a way to reduce potential games
Old Jun 19, 2017, 3:32 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by nsx
I would prefer a Helpful button, with per-post count but no per-member count.

I see no great value and significant hazard in showing which members upvoted a post.

IMHO this mild user feedback rewards and therefore encourages posting behavior that pleases other members. I expect the forums to become more valuable and more fun to read when members are taking more care with their posts to earn praise counts.

I wish user feedback could be enabled on a forum-specific basis (e.g. not for for OMNI/PR) but apparently that would be difficult to implement. We might as well give it a try and see if the net value is positive.
If the owner/operator of FT wants to invest money in such a feature -- not that I expect it to do me any good, given alternative investment opportunities -- and then trial it, I suggest that OMNI threads are the best place on FT to see what it yields.
Old Jun 20, 2017, 1:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
I support a Like button, to the extent that it stops people from posting "+1" or "^" replies, and actually reduces clutter. But that's all a Like system should be. Not a rating. No disliking. No scores visible for users.
Old Jun 26, 2017, 9:21 am

Programs: UA Pt, Marriott Ti, Hertz PC
I think a Like, Thumbs Up, or Helpful button would be fine. Would be interesting to see if others "like" the same types of posts I like, and it would reduce the +1 type posts.

- Don't also had a "dislike" or "thumbs down" or "not helpful" button.
- I'm ok with counts (25 likes to a post), but not points for users (gobluetwo has received 125 likes vs. javabytes has received 7,240 likes) which adds to a running total.
- Don't show who likes a particular post
Old Aug 8, 2017, 5:20 am

Programs: BA Bronze, Emirates Silver, Virgin Silver, Marriott Titanium
I enjoy reading the trip report section but don't always want to repeat myself saying the same thing, so I'd like a 'like' button so that I can acknowledge the work someone has done (and the time taken) to post a trip report.

Perhaps if its possible to do so, its on the member posting that see's how many (or not!) likes it has generated so it doesn't turn into a competition.
N639DL likes this.
Old Aug 8, 2017, 5:21 am

Programs: Thai Silver,Skywards Silver,Gulf Silver, Interconti Prority Platinum, FR Priority Q!
I think a "Helpful" button rather than a "Like" button would be more meaningful.
SS
Old Aug 8, 2017, 5:22 am

Can someone please educate me about what having a like button would add to the experience? Most of the comments above seem to be lukewarm, and somewhat focused on what not to do. I don't have a horse in this race, but just can't fathom that the
addition of this is worth the investment in getting it added.
Old Aug 8, 2017, 5:34 am

Programs: Too many to list. Since the early 90's.
Like and Helpful buttons are fine with me and could help eliminate posts that just have +1, which is the only quick way members currently have of expressing their agreement with a post.
KENNECTED likes this.
Old Aug 8, 2017, 5:36 am

No buttons

I think that a "like" or "dislike" button will cause too many hasty clicks rather than a well thought out post.
Calchas likes this.
Old Aug 8, 2017, 5:41 am

Originally Posted by Mickidon
Can someone please educate me about what having a like button would add to the experience? Most of the comments above seem to be lukewarm, and somewhat focused on what not to do. I don't have a horse in this race, but just can't fathom that the
addition of this is worth the investment in getting it added.
It would be a validation that the post contains useful information, making it more valuable to newbies.

I like the idea of a like or helpful button. Agree that dislike is less useful, as that can be abused badly (have seen this on other boards).
KENNECTED likes this.
Old Aug 8, 2017, 5:43 am

Like would be really good, especially an anonymous one.
Old Aug 8, 2017, 5:44 am

Programs: BAEC Gold / M-Life Gold / HH Diamond
If there was a Like button I'd have clicked it on Silver Fox's original post

I'd definitely support a Like button, like others have said it'll cut out a lot of the +1 sort of replies. I'd be happy to see the number of likes a post has got too. I wouldn't want people's profiles having a running total of Likes tho, as that feels like it could get competitive.
Old Aug 8, 2017, 6:11 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold
I'm a long time forum admin, including vBulletin, and find FT to be one of the most useful, info-packed communities I've seen.

The value add of showing likes, helpful votes, etc. is that it can surface good content and get more views for it. If a member is scanning a long list of thread topics and one has lots of like activity, he/she may click it in preference to others. That's a good thing.

The large majority of members will find this useful and will add value by liking content they think is good. But, any such system will surely be gamed by a minority of members who want to draw attention to their own content. Friends will like each others stuff, and I can almost guarantee that groups will form to promote each other's content. Since most members won't bother liking/rating content, these self-serving clicks will have a disproportionate impact.

Making the members who liked something visible may reduce use of the feature, but it would make promotion rings more obvious.

Of course, maybe the members here are above such behavior. We won't know until it's implemented. (But, as an earlier reply noted, just about everyone here is an expert in gaming systems - miles, points, etc. Often, the accumulation and maximization of these miles/points is more interesting than actually using them. It's not a stretch to assume that at least a few members will take on the challenge of getting their content lots of upvotes.)

Personally, I think the benefits make it worth trying. These features can be turned on easily enough, and turned off if they are getting abused. The admin team could monitor the activity to discourage obvious manipulation.
JonNYC likes this.
Old Aug 8, 2017, 6:19 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta - Gold; Starwood - Platinum; HHonors - Diamond & Avis Preferred
YES, I think there should be such a thing.

In the trip reports, a "like" or "rating" should absolutely be included.

As a test, add a series of buttons [for example those used to rate a thread] could be added to trip reports section of the forum. For each report, via a drop down menu, users would have the option of rating each review.

You could do another test, by choosing a forum and move the "rate thread" buttons to each post.

This can also be used to help determine which members are the most knowledgeable within a forum topic loyalty program and/or group of forums within a category. People like to know that their contributions are valued. This could be a way to provide content quality over number of post a user makes.
Old Aug 8, 2017, 6:44 am

Programs: BA GGL, CCR, Hilton Diamond, MLife Platinum, Hyatt Explorist
An example !

Originally Posted by gobluetwo
I think a Like, Thumbs Up, or Helpful button would be fine. Would be interesting to see if others "like" the same types of posts I like, and it would reduce the +1 type posts.

- Don't also had a "dislike" or "thumbs down" or "not helpful" button.
- I'm ok with counts (25 likes to a post), but not points for users (gobluetwo has received 125 likes vs. javabytes has received 7,240 likes) which adds to a running total.
- Don't show who likes a particular post
I would have 'liked' or 'helpful posted' this post with good suggestions without clogging up the thread with what I feel is unnecessary space to just agree with the original comment.

I feel it would make the forums easier to find great input from other members without too much of the surrounding posts that agree, +1 or sometimes dislike (no button for that please)

there are many times I have stopped myself from making a few word reply based on my opinion of the relative value, but the original poster has little idea of how well his/her post/comments are received by many people - just my thoughts !
JonNYC likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.