FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   The Suggestion Box (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/suggestion-box-756/)
-   -   Suggest FT add “Like” button [implemented 9 Aug 2017] (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/suggestion-box/1840073-suggest-ft-add-like-button-implemented-9-aug-2017-a.html)

Silver Fox May 1, 2017 2:20 pm

Suggest FT add “Like” button [implemented 9 Aug 2017]

Can you implement a like button at the very least? Plenty of other forums have the and all sorts of other buttons such as: disagree, funny, informative, excellent topic, dislike, old.

We have all this other social media stuff so it makes perfect sense to implement this.

IBobi May 1, 2017 5:00 pm

It's been suggested many times but no community consensus has ever been reached that it is desired.

jackal May 1, 2017 6:49 pm

Originally Posted by IBobi (Post 28254049)
It's been suggested many times but no community consensus has ever been reached that it is desired.

TalkBoard is no more, so maybe we can take a fresh look at this. :)

JDiver May 2, 2017 9:32 am

As this fits in the Suggestion Box forum better than the Technical Support area, we are moving it there.

JDiver, Co-Moderator
Technical Support and Feedback and The Suggestion Box fora

Mary2e May 2, 2017 10:39 am

I would go for a like button, but for heaven's sake, no dislike button.

We tried it once before and it did not work out well at all.

Smaug May 2, 2017 10:23 pm

Here is the thread from TB Topics:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/talkb...ke-button.html

MSPeconomist May 5, 2017 12:00 pm

Please, let's not go there. It has been a big problem on MilePoint/InsideFlyer.

jackal May 5, 2017 3:57 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist (Post 28272678)
It has been a big problem on MilePoint/InsideFlyer.

Can you back that assertion up? That hasn't at all been my experience.

Silver Fox May 5, 2017 4:21 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist (Post 28272678)
Please, let's not go there. It has been a big problem on MilePoint/InsideFlyer.

Seems to work well on other forums I visit. I would be interested to know how big a problem a like button can actually cause on the anonymous internet ! :)

Mary2e May 7, 2017 6:24 am

A like button is perfectly fine. It's the dislike, or any other negative emoticon that would be abused. And yes, it would be abused.

SanDiego1K May 7, 2017 9:47 am

I would support a Like button. I would not support a dislike button. I also would not support being able to see how many "likes" a member has received. We've had too many instances of folks trying to game ratings over the years.

Let me see what Internet Brands can do.

Carol/SanDiego1K
Community Director

gilbertaue May 8, 2017 12:14 am

How many more "+1" do we see here compared to "-1"??

So I would also support a 'Like' button.

goalie May 12, 2017 7:39 am

While I was against a like button in the last "go-around" ;), if it could be a like button showing the total number of likes but not showing the handles of the members who liked the posts, I could be persuaded to like having a like button

Mary2e May 12, 2017 7:43 am

I would not support seeing the number of likes. Only that it's liked.

Do you remember when the rating system was accidentally turned on along with the ability to see who gave the rating? The less ability to give people the chance to abuse, the better :)

jackal May 12, 2017 7:49 am

Originally Posted by goalie (Post 28302397)
While I was against a like button in the last "go-around" ;), if it could be a like button showing the total number of likes but not showing the handles of the members who liked the posts, I could be persuaded to like having a like button

You're one of the most like-happy people I know on Facebook. I'm trying to understand what your concept and opposition to a similar implementation here is. Can you expand?

Originally Posted by Mary2e (Post 28302422)
I would not support seeing the number of likes. Only that it's liked.

Do you remember when the rating system was accidentally turned on along with the ability to see who gave the rating? The less ability to give people the chance to abuse, the better :)

Like button != rating system

Without the ability to rate a post negatively, where is the danger of abuse?