Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > The Suggestion Box
Reload this Page >

Incomplete Trip Reports should be marked "incomplete" (resolved)

Old Sep 17, 2020, 4:19 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLT / 2MM

I find it frustrating to open a thread in the Trip Report forum (particularly one with a high number of posts), and then see that it contains just the first couple entries of the OP's long trip and a bunch of chit chat. I thoroughly enjoy the high quality long-read trip reports on FT, and I've posted a some lengthy trip reports myself that I hope others have enjoyed. However, I find it a waste of time to read an incomplete trip report and to have to check back periodically to read new entries in piecemeal.

I'd rather wait until the entire trip report is complete and read it all at once. So, I appreciate the TR posters who write up their reports offline and then post everything all at once. I suppose other readers might feel the opposite and like reading a little at a time.

The solution would be for the reporter to be able to mark a trip report as incomplete or complete. That way, reporters who want to post the TR in piecemeal can do so, and people who want to read the TR in piecemeal can do so. But readers who don't want to read a TR in piecemeal can know to wait until the report is complete.
DYKWIA likes this.

Last edited by LAX_Esq; Sep 17, 2020 at 4:25 pm
Old Sep 17, 2020, 7:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Dunno. So long as a thread is not locked or closed, by definition, a given trip report and responses to it will continue to evolve.

David
Old Sep 17, 2020, 10:46 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLT / 2MM
Originally Posted by DELee
Dunno. So long as a thread is not locked or closed, by definition, a given trip report and responses to it will continue to evolve.
A TR thread can be active with ongoing discussion, yet the trip report itself complete. Big difference.
Old Sep 19, 2020, 9:32 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
This issue might best be discussed with the Trip Report forum Moderators, as it’s more of a forum policy issue than a FlyerTalk (entire site) issue. The forum Moderators are Madone59, DanielW, NWIFlyer.

Given so, I’ve taken the liberty of bringing this thread to their attention as well as the Community Director; they have it under discussion now, and we will reopen the thread when there’s something to report leave it closed as a resolution has been decided by the Community Director and the forum Moderators.

Thank you,

JDiver, The Suggestion Box Co-Moderator

Last edited by JDiver; Sep 23, 2020 at 10:59 pm Reason: Add
Old Sep 23, 2020, 11:14 am
Community Director Emerita

It's always good to have our traditional way of doing things challenged. Sometimes a new way is proposed that is better than the way it is currently done. The trip report mods and I have discussed the proposal. We have agreed that we prefer the current process. We are grateful for those who choose to share their trip experiences, whether a chapter at a time or as a complete report. We'd never have seen one of eightblack's iconic reports if they had to be posted in a finished format. It takes an enormous amount of time and effort, and I am very sympathetic to those who chunk them out one segment at a time. I understand the authors who gain enjoyment from responses to each segment. We would lose a lot of contributors if we enacted the suggestion above and I do not believe that to be in our interest.

Thank you for your thoughts and we will carry on as we have.

Carol
Community Director
DELee, TWA884, SPN Lifer and 1 others like this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.