Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > The Suggestion Box
Reload this Page >

Suggest FT add “Like” button [implemented 9 Aug 2017]

Old Aug 8, 2017, 9:37 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
The new "Like" "button"

When you click on the "Like" button, it registers the handle of the user liking the post in a horizontal box immediately below the "Like" button. "Liking" a post also optionally sends a notification to the post owner. "Like" notifications appear in Your Control Panel in My FlyerTalk.

To turn the notification function on or off, look in Your Control Panel and Settings & Options under Messaging & Notification:

Likes Notifications:
  • Enable Likes Notifications
  • Disable Likes Notifications

NOTE: Editing a post causes the "Likes" to disappear for a short period of time. They are restored after that pause.

To report issues, problems etc. please visit this thread in the Technical Support and Feedback forum: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/technical-support-feedback/1863159-new-like-button-information-issues-discussion.html

LIST OF SUGGESTIONS, PROS and CONS discussed in thread:

Please add all your suggestions since implementation, August 9 2017:
  1. Modify Like button to take up less real estate - ie, put the button w/ the other buttons & likes under signatures or list only if hover
  2. Allow members to completely turn off the ability to see likes
  3. Use Helpful instead of Like
  4. Completely eliminate Like button
  5. Do not display handles of those who Liked the post

"Some FTers are supportive of like/helpful button. Some are not. Some on both sides of the issue have questions, concerns and/or need more info. This wiki attempts to highlight them in bullet format/"cliff notes" version from the 566 posts made in prior Talkboard thread, which had 700 posts. More detailed information regarding the pros/cons/questions/concerns/info can be garnered by reading the entire thread, where FTers on both sides of the like/helpful button have been eloquent/provided valuable input. When TalkBoard last polled FT members, the result of the poll was in favour of introducing likes (by a considerable margin)

Pros:
* Make Flyertalk more modern/more like Facebook, LinkedIn and many other social media sites
* A like/helpful button would minimize unnecessary replies such as +1.
* Streamlines posts
* The value add of showing likes, helpful votes, etc. is that it can surface good content and get more views for it
* Positive feedback incentivizes quality content/FTers will post more
* Some people won’t take time to write a thank you but will post a like
* Those with more likes/helpfuls are considered knowledgable

Cons:
* Makes Flyertalk more like Facebook/dumbs it down
* FT had rating system here years ago and it did not go well
* System can be gamed/cliques develop
* Clutters up posts/takes up valuable screen space
* Will not eliminate +1s/+1s also provide positive feedback
* Posts that have inaccurate info can also get likes/doesn't mean poster is knowledgable
* If FTers post info & it doesn't get likes/helpfuls, less incentive to post more
* Some who might have posted info in the past will now just post like, so less information provided to other FTers.

Questions, concerns about how it will work, and/or information based on brief internal trial already done (trial done last time it came up for discussion)
* If implemented, can FTers who prefer not to utilize the like/helpful button turn it off so that they don't see it at all?
* Is there a software way to separate likes of posts from posters? (Limited trial indicates no; don't know if software can be changed to do so)
* Can a post/day count be implemented before implementing for FTers, similar Omni/CC? (Yes)
* Can certain forums have it turned off such as Omni? (No, current software is it's either all forums or none)
* If a sitewide trial is created, what are the metrics for success or failure?
* What is the goal of this/how will the data be used?
* If customization of current software is required, will this take away from development on other projects such as a better mobile app?
* Will or can there be a dislike/unhelpful button?
* What happens if a post that is "liked" gets its content edited and ends up having a different meaning than it initially had at the time the post was "liked"?
* Can threads or individual posts deemed helpful be bookmarked/saved?"

IBobi responded to theses comments and questions here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/28664495-post59.html

Print Wikipost

Suggest FT add “Like” button [implemented 9 Aug 2017]

Old Aug 18, 2017, 12:16 pm

Originally Posted by Prospero
Sharon, the global announcement has received over 6,000 hits and counting. While it is great to read the feedback posted here, there is a reasonable assumption to be made that there is now a substantial number of members who are now aware of the new feature and happy to get on with it.
Do you mean 6,000 likes? You don't seem all that interested in the feedback here, IMHO.
Old Aug 18, 2017, 12:33 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

Originally Posted by zitsky
Do you mean 6,000 likes? You don't seem all that interested in the feedback here, IMHO.
6,000+ views....
Attached Images  
oliver2002, jackal and Silver Fox like this.
Old Aug 18, 2017, 1:02 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AA, BA, Accor, Honors Diamond, IHG Diamond Elite and lots more....
Originally Posted by Prospero
6,000+ views....
And 5,900 who didn't object
Old Aug 18, 2017, 3:23 pm

Programs: AA (EP), Hilton (Diamond), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium)
Originally Posted by GentleGiant
Or perhaps 2,400 who don't object and 3,500 who do but don't have anything further to add to the discussion.
GUWonder likes this.
Old Aug 19, 2017, 10:02 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by anabolism
Or perhaps 2,400 who don't object and 3,500 who do but don't have anything further to add to the discussion.
Agree.

What I think will be interesting is if the feedback asked for (& summarized in the 3-4 bullet points in the wiki) is implemented. Even some who like like are unhappy w/ the current iteration of it.

Cheers.

Last edited by SkiAdcock; Aug 19, 2017 at 10:20 am Reason: add two words i forgot...
Old Aug 19, 2017, 12:29 pm

Originally Posted by GentleGiant
I think 1% of the registered people view and do not post. In other words posters are overrepresented in actual opinions
Old Aug 21, 2017, 5:29 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
Originally Posted by anabolism
I've posted my objections, but haven't continued to post against it because others have covered what I'd say.
Old Aug 21, 2017, 9:09 am

Originally Posted by kipper
I've posted my objections, but haven't continued to post against it because others have covered what I'd say.
+1^
GUWonder likes this.
Old Aug 27, 2017, 1:40 pm

Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
I would support a Like button...
Let me see what Internet Brands can do.

Carol/SanDiego1K
Community Director
Hi Carol.
I'm wondering what the status of Like is now. There has been a lot of input regarding it, a lot of it from members who have pointed out problems with it and who have offered suggestions for fixing it (including un-implementing it).

My questions are: Are we still awaiting feedback from those in charge? Are they still in the process of evaluating its implementation?
Old Aug 28, 2017, 6:52 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by muji
Hi Carol.
I'm wondering what the status of Like is now. There has been a lot of input regarding it, a lot of it from members who have pointed out problems with it and who have offered suggestions for fixing it (including un-implementing it).

My questions are: Are we still awaiting feedback from those in charge? Are they still in the process of evaluating its implementation?
It's a situation of being stuck with it -- at least that's what it seems to be currently.
Old Aug 28, 2017, 8:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by muji
problems with it and who have offered suggestions for fixing it
referring to current implementation?
Old Aug 28, 2017, 11:26 am
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
Originally Posted by GUWonder
It's a situation of being stuck with it -- at least that's what it seems to be currently.
What gives you this impression?
Old Aug 28, 2017, 11:56 am

Originally Posted by yosithezet
What gives you this impression?
I don't recall Internet Brands saying they would change it???
Old Aug 29, 2017, 3:44 am
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
Originally Posted by zitsky
I don't recall Internet Brands saying they would change it???
Do you recall them saying they wouldn't?
Old Aug 29, 2017, 6:17 am

Originally Posted by yosithezet
Do you recall them saying they wouldn't?
Nope.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.