Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Navigation - Africa forum

Search this Thread

Old Apr 16, 2017, 5:19 am
Original Poster

Navigation - Africa forum

Not sure if it has been raised before but could the extra step of navigation be removed? You click on Africa which seems to go to some holding page where you click on Africa again.

When in Africa and on a slow connection it takes an eternity.

Thanks
Old Apr 17, 2017, 9:24 am
Community Director Emerita

Here is what I see when I open the Destination section of FlyerTalk. Every heading for a world region is clickable, yet is not meant to be clicked as it simply contains the description of what lies within. Why can' you simply click the Africa heading that is shown in white?
Attached Images  
Old Apr 17, 2017, 9:32 am
Ambassador, New England

Programs: Amtrak, WN RR, Choice
I think simons1 is referring to the fact that you can click on the white-lettered Africa on the FT forums home page (as in the first image below), and then in order to get into the actual Africa forum, you have to click it again (as in the second image below):
Attached Images   
Old Apr 17, 2017, 9:40 am

lo2e, thanks for your help. I can't figure out where the first screen shot was taken. What is the link for that page?

simons1, a solution is to set up My FlyerTalk and subscribe to the forums of interest.
Old Apr 17, 2017, 9:54 am
Ambassador, New England

It is the FT forums home page - https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php

At the far right side of the blue box that contains "Destinations", there is a pair of arrows in a circle that you can click to expose all of the sub-categories there.

In addition to Africa, the same behavior that simons1 described happens with Antarctica, Middle East, and Oceania, none of which have any further sub-categories.
Old Apr 17, 2017, 2:20 pm

I'm having no joy replicating it. Here is what I see when I click the link you gave.
Attached Images  
Old Apr 17, 2017, 2:53 pm
Ambassador, New England

Ohhhh you have "trending forums" turned on. I have turned it off.
Old Apr 18, 2017, 3:14 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
I'm having no joy replicating it. Here is what I see when I click the link you gave.
When I click on destinations it offers me Africa (and other continents).

When I click on Africa it offers me....Africa.

When I click on Africa (again) I finally get to the threads/forum.
Old Apr 18, 2017, 4:06 pm

Originally Posted by simons1

Do you see both the white on blue and the blue on white Africas simultaneously? If so, why not click on the blue on white one that takes you into the forum?
Attached Images  
Old Apr 20, 2017, 4:02 pm

Programs: Ex-BA/AA/CP/LY staff, BA Executive Club Blue, IHG Diamond, Marriott Silver, Chick-fil-A Red
May I suggest the Forum Jump drop-down at the bottom of near every page:

That, or bookmarking http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/africa-459/
___
Attached Images  
Old Apr 21, 2017, 7:47 am

Programs: Tegridy Elite

I've always wondered the same thing...it's an extra click but when on a slow connection is aggravating. Bookmarking doesn't help when you're not on your own computer.

I also do not have trending forums turned on FWIW.

The issue is that "Africa" is a sub-forum under "Africa". Is there a reason that the content can't simply but under the main forum, rather than residing under a sub-forum? Perhaps at one time there was an intent to create sub-forums under Africa for the various regions and/or countries.

"Antarctica" similarly is located in an "Antarctica" sub-forum under "Antarctica". It's not at all clear why, since I can't imagine any reason there would ever be further sub-forums needed for Antarctica.

I guess the question is...if the nature of the site/software requires there to be a sub-forum or not? If not, and if it isn't likely there will be new Africa sub-forums created, how hard would it be to place the Africa threads in the main forum? If it's a fairly simple thing to do, why not do it and save the extra step and sometimes delays with slow connections?
Old Apr 22, 2017, 1:20 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
Do you see both the white on blue and the blue on white Africas simultaneously? If so, why not click on the blue on white one that takes you into the forum?
The mobile version doesn't look like that.

Originally Posted by 84fiero
I've always wondered the same thing...it's an extra click but when on a slow connection is aggravating. Bookmarking doesn't help when you're not on your own computer.

I also do not have trending forums turned on FWIW.

The issue is that "Africa" is a sub-forum under "Africa". Is there a reason that the content can't simply but under the main forum, rather than residing under a sub-forum? Perhaps at one time there was an intent to create sub-forums under Africa for the various regions and/or countries.

"Antarctica" similarly is located in an "Antarctica" sub-forum under "Antarctica". It's not at all clear why, since I can't imagine any reason there would ever be further sub-forums needed for Antarctica.

I guess the question is...if the nature of the site/software requires there to be a sub-forum or not? If not, and if it isn't likely there will be new Africa sub-forums created, how hard would it be to place the Africa threads in the main forum? If it's a fairly simple thing to do, why not do it and save the extra step and sometimes delays with slow connections?
Thanks - you got it. Why is there a need to have Africa as a sub forum of Africa?
Old Apr 28, 2017, 9:50 pm
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks
Shangri-La Contributor Badge

Thanks - you got it. Why is there a need to have Africa as a sub forum of Africa?
Ah, yes, I've mentioned the same about the Mid-East forum. Seems pointless in terms of UX.
Old Sep 11, 2017, 2:17 pm

So it seems that since then, Africa was re-located to be directly under the "Destinations", but some others like ME/Oceania/Antarctica are still a "double" sub-forum.

Can those be changed as well?
Old Sep 14, 2017, 3:27 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by Ditto
So it seems that since then, Africa was re-located to be directly under the "Destinations", but some others like ME/Oceania/Antarctica are still a "double" sub-forum.

Can those be changed as well?
I'd welcome that change too.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.