Reload this Page >

Why no Arctic Destination Forum? UPDATE: Covered in existing forums

Old Feb 7, 17, 11:34 am
Original Member
Original Poster

Programs: AS, UA, HY, Hil, Merr

Why is there no Arctic Destination, while we do have an Antarctic?
Old Feb 7, 17, 11:46 am

Programs: British Airways Gold
Antarctica is a continent. The Arctic is not.
Old Feb 7, 17, 4:10 pm
Community Director

I agree with ajeleonard and yet I'd like to offer a suggestion as to where you should post. Here's the Wikipedia definition of the geographic area:

The Arctic (/ˈɑːrktɪk/ or /ˈɑːrtɪk/)[1][Note 1] is a polar region located at the northernmost part of Earth. The Arctic consists of the Arctic Ocean, adjacent seas, and parts of Alaska (United States), Canada, Finland, Greenland (Denmark), Iceland, Norway, Russia, and Sweden. Land within the Arctic region has seasonally varying snow and ice cover, with predominantly treeless permafrost-containing tundra. Arctic seas contain seasonal sea ice in many places.

It sounds as though wherever you are considering travel would be part of an identified region for which we have an existing forum. I'm happy to hear other thoughts as I have much to learn on this topic.

Carol
Old Feb 7, 17, 4:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS MVPG 75K
I cant think of any arctic destinations that are not accounted for in the other designated region subforums
Old Feb 7, 17, 9:25 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, TAP, Mexico, Technical Support and Feedback, and The Suggestion Box

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
There is only one other option, I think. That would be the Cruises forum for those cruises offered to explore the Arctic areas. From Hurtigruten to Silversea to the most gonzo of all, a trip to the North Pole on the massive Russian nuclear powered icebreaker "50 Years of Victory", there are plenty of Arctic cruises. The latter will certainly give you that certain "glow" of accomplishment... or something.
Old Feb 7, 17, 9:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS MVPG 75K
Originally Posted by JDiver View Post
a trip to the North Pole on the massive Russian nuclear powered icebreaker "50 Years of Victory"
OT but Id rather save my money and do RTW on QM 2 its much cheaper
Old Feb 8, 17, 6:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

arctic includes 3 continents and 8 countries - so why 1 forum?
antarctica is 1 continent / country , without commercial flights

CDKing, RTW on QM2 for much less than $28Kpp?
edit - ah, i see $20K / $22K pp for inside cabin

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Feb 8, 17 at 8:06 pm
Old Mar 6, 17, 4:22 pm
Original Member
Original Poster

Programs: AS, UA, HY, Hil, Merr
Yes, we will be on a cruise (Holland America).

I agree that the Arctic, is not a continent. That is not the criterion for the topic. I know you know that, I don't mean to be snarky.

The ports, cities with airports, etc are rare enough that most people that travel to destinations in the various counties with portions in the Arctic, do not go to these cities and ports.

For example, we go to Longyearbyen and Ny Alesund (Spitsbergen). These are both in Norway, but few people would get that far, so posting in Norway might not get a question responsed to or shared experience. Certainly asking a question in the thinly used "cruises" would have very little chance of response to such a specialized area. We will also port in Akureyri and Isafjordur, both in Iceland. Again, posting a second time under Iceland, may or may not, reach a responder. Posting in "cruises" would be even less productive.

The above is probably true of Barow and Prudhoe Bay (Alaska), and ports in Greenland (Denmark) or Canadian cities in the Arctic.

I doubt that an Arctic category would be that busy, so perhaps it is just a "dead" zone in coverage? Fortunately, I have been able to find the answers to my questions elsewhere. I just prefer the use of FT, my first home, where even the onlookers get to benefit from the discussion.

Thank you. It appears that it at least got a hearing!
Old Mar 14, 17, 10:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Longyearbyen and Ny Alesund - have discussion here in multiple forums, many have been

alaska does have advantage, IIRc its own forum and an active forum
Old Mar 14, 17, 11:04 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
I wonder if cruisecritic.com might not have the info you seek?
Old May 17, 17, 8:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold75K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott LTG, SPG Gold, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by ranles View Post
The above is probably true of Barow and Prudhoe Bay (Alaska), and ports in Greenland (Denmark) or Canadian cities in the Arctic.
Well, we are having a DO in BRW this year

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/commu...23-2017-a.html

I doubt that an Arctic category would be that busy, so perhaps it is just a "dead" zone in coverage? Fortunately, I have been able to find the answers to my questions elsewhere. I just prefer the use of FT, my first home, where even the onlookers get to benefit from the discussion.

Thank you. It appears that it at least got a hearing!
Agree that it probably wouldn't see enough usage to warrant it's own forum. Glad you found some answers. And I agree, I try to keep most everything on FT and use it as a primary resource when traveling, both for airline advice and destination.
Old May 17, 17, 10:23 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend and Moderator: Air Canada Aeroplan & Manufactured Spending

I doubt that an Arctic category would be that busy
I agree.

Search this Thread