Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > The Suggestion Box
Reload this Page >

Suggestion: Create China-based Airlines forum

Old Jan 25, 17, 4:29 am
Original Poster

Programs: VA Gold, QF OWS Gold, HH Diamond, Marriott/IHG Gold

OK, I think we should give it a crack on this. So I will try to answer the questions below, as per Suggestion Guidelines:

1. Will the forum be (or is it now) beneficial to FlyerTalk? How?

- China is second largest economy in the world. Hence there are more and more people (and FTers) travel to China on regular basis.
- Major China Based airlines (CZ, MU, CA, HU, etc) are expanding aggressively to many parts of the world, and they offer super low fares on their routes attracting many people who normally don't travel on China based airlines.
- There are already many discussions on China based airlines in "Other Asian, Australian, and South Pacific Airlines ..." around 50% of the threads. By moving them to China based airlines forum, it would assist FTers to find more relevant information.

2. Is FlyerTalk the best place to discuss this subject?
- Yes, for English based forums. Whilst there are a lot of other forums talking about them, they are mostly written in Chinese.
- Given the aggressive expansion of China based airlines to around the world. More and more people outside China would need to know more about those airlines, and they do not know how to read Chinese.

3. Will the new forum benefit a relationship with FlyerTalk? E.g., does the forum provide value for FT members, such as an avid number of existing member service provider users or a friendly ear highly placed in the company?)
- Yes. Major China based airlines are members of alliances (CZ/MU/CI - Skyteam, CA/BR - Star Alliance) which most FTers are a member of one way or another. In their redemption they will encounter more and more China based airlines.

4. Is there a passionate following? This is essential in maintaining active and vigorous discussion, as well as involving knowledgeable members to get questions answered.
- Whilst I am not a passionate follower, I am aware there are a few knowledgeable members who can assist .....

5. Is a critical mass of posts and readers anticipated or already in existence? A forum needs adequate traffic to keep everyone visiting frequently. One living forum is more valuable than two mostly inactive ones.

Yes. There are already many discussions on China based airlines in "Other Asian, Australian, and South Pacific Airlines ..." around 50% of the threads by my count. By moving them to China based airlines forum, it would assist FTers to find more relevant information.

6. Is this the best place on FlyerTalk for this subject? This is the classification issue: the answer depends in part on whether or where the discussion might (or already does) occur in the absence of the suggested forum.

- Whilst each individual China based airline does not warrant enough threads for its own forum, combined threads for all China based airlines would have far enough discussion to sustain a forum.

7. For proposals to split a forum: What benefits can be expected? Is the split expected to improve the "signal to noise ratio"? Why?

- There are already many discussions on China based airlines in "Other Asian, Australian, and South Pacific Airlines ..." around 50% of the threads by my count. By moving them to China based airlines forum, it would assist FTers to find more relevant information, and also declutter the "Other Asian ..." forum.

8. Forum "sunsetting":The administration does not anticipate using automatic sunsetting of forums as a response to weakness in a newly created forum, preferring instead to create forums only when we they are strongly expected to succeed.

I personally don't think sunsetting is required. Once created I am quite confident that it will get filled with threads.
Old Jan 25, 17, 6:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by kamchatsky View Post
CI
BR
= taiwan. taiwan (& forum title) was huge discussion in past threads:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/talkb...ina-forum.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/talkb...ter-china.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/talkb...nes-china.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/talkb...nes-forum.html

also
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/talkb...-has-come.html

6 biggest threads in forum are taiwan
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/other...ort=replycount

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Jan 25, 17 at 6:55 am
Old Jan 25, 17, 2:52 pm
Community Director

I'm open to consideration. Let's see how others weigh in.

Carol
Community Director
Old Jan 25, 17, 8:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SanDiego1K View Post
I'm open to consideration. Let's see how others weigh in.

Carol
Community Director
perhaps a situation where decision could be made, then later modified if there does end up being a certain amount of controversy etc.

based on past threads, i would imagine others will be weighing in shortly.
Old Jan 25, 17, 8:30 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
IIRC during the previous discussion on this issue, the passionate participants in the China destination forum were very much against this. They favored how the China forum on FT has evolved.
Old Jan 25, 17, 10:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist View Post
IIRC during the previous discussion on this issue, the passionate participants in the China destination forum were very much against this. They favored how the China forum on FT has evolved.
so discussion ends up and stays in china forum?
Old Jan 26, 17, 8:28 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist View Post
I read through the historical TalkBoard Topics threads, kindly linked above by Kagehitokiri and with the discussion still fresh in my mind, I have to say my reading is very different from your own. Back in 2013, there was a wide range of views/opinions expressed by members both for and against the suggestion of creating a new forum for China-based airlines and its quite a stretch to say the passionate participants in the China destination forum were very much against this.

from my reading, the main historical points of discussion were
- implications on the Other Asian Airlines forum if discussion of China airlines moved out
- some members prefer to follow China airlines threads alongside other Asia airlines and may not benefit from the separation
- lots of discussion about Taipei, nomenclature, and cultural sensitivities

One thing is clear, FT discussion of China airlines has clearly grown since the proposal was last looked at by TalkBoard. Iíll try to pull together more recent stats during the next day or two.
Old Jan 30, 17, 7:24 am
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks

Programs: Metro-North Rubbish, Keisei Skinflint, KCR Headphones, Kopaja Platinum
At what point in FT's life were the first airline fora created wrt destination fora? (I ask only b/c I'm a frequent visitor to the China forum, and understand how it has become all-encompassing.)
Old Jan 31, 17, 10:50 pm

Programs: AA, Delta, UA & thanks to FTers for my PC Gold!
Don't mix in Taiwan-based airlines threads...

Originally Posted by kamchatsky View Post
- There are already many discussions on China based airlines in "Other Asian, Australian, and South Pacific Airlines ..." around 50% of the threads.
<snip>
- Major China based airlines are members of alliances (CZ/MU/CI - Skyteam, CA/BR - Star Alliance) which most FTers are a member of one way or another. In their redemption they will encounter more and more China based airlines.
FWIW, BR and CI are not China-based. Here's the master thread on Taiwan-based airlines:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/other...ed-taiwan.html

Did you include Taiwan-based airlines in your 50% "eyeball" thread count? It seems China-based airlines have attracted more FT traffic nowadays but I haven't bothered with the exact stats. IMHO, since OP's suggesting a China-based airlines forum, it would make more sense to count only China-based airlines threads minus the Taiwan-based ones in Other Asian, Australian, and South Pacific Airlines Forum, so we don't have to hassle with both practical/logistic and political issues on FT.

Things haven't changed much w/r/t airspace and aero regulations between China and Taiwan since the last round of FT discussion on this matter. Instead of repeating the same FT discussion on China- vs. Taiwan-based airlines, I'll redirect invested FTers to those lengthy discussion threads Kagehitokiri had kindly provided in Post# 2 and see the reasoning behind leaving Taiwan-based airlines alone.

As to whether a China-based airlines forum will be beneficial to FT, I'll just leave it to our resident experts on China Forum.

Originally Posted by BuildingMyBento View Post
At what point in FT's life were the first airline fora created wrt destination fora?
I think it's about Hawaii, way before 2006?

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/talkb...nes-forum.html

India-Based Airlines Forum was created back in 2007:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/talkb...ingfisher.html
Old Jan 31, 17, 11:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

We voted this idea down ~2 years back. IMO, it was the correct decision then, and nothing has changed since. Furthermore, the "other" forum remains easy to navigate.
Old Feb 7, 17, 10:51 am
Ambassador, China

Programs: TG, OZ, UA, AA
I remember the previous discussion. A quick and admittedly unscientific look at the number of threads (not posts) started since December 1--excluding the FT Award Nomination threads and moved threads--reveals the following....
--47 threads about airlines based in the PRC (mainland China), spread over a variety of airlines but mostly the 4 majors.
--51 threads about Taiwan-based airlines, about 95% are EVA-related
--1 loner about Hong Kong airlines
--67 threads about all the other airlines, stretching from Mongolia to Azerbaijan to Fiji but majority on Southeast Asia-based carriers.

Whether this 2 month slice of FT history is representative of an entire typical year, I'll leave to others to debate.

But overall, I also don't think anything has changed all that much. If there is an overwhelming itch to create a new forum, it would seem that an airline-specific forum for EVA would be of the most benefit, as 40% of the last 2 month's threads are about that one airline. My brief forays in and out of this forum over the last few years also seem to recall the impression of lots of EVA inquiries. Questions about mainland carriers (28%) still don't seem to be at enough of a critical mass/volume to warrant its own forum. And I am also very much against lumping PRC and Taiwan carriers in some sort of "Greater China" forum that has been proposed in the past--not because of politics, but because they are under such completely different regulatory, operational, and customer service structures and perspectives. Lumping them is likely to provide more confusion, not clarity.
Old Feb 7, 17, 12:13 pm
Community Director

jiejie, thank you for your insightful post.
Old Feb 8, 17, 6:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/other...ort=replycount
descending by replies
top 26 threads including 1 sticky (sticky = taiwan)

11 thread, 2712 replies - EVA
2 thread, 759 replies - taiwan
2 thread, 282 replies - china airlines (taiwan)

2 thread, 361 replies - air china
1 thread, 237 replies - chine eastern

3 thread, 371 replies - sri lankan airlines
1 thread, 208 replies - air tahiti nui
1 thread, 168 replies - cambodia angkor air

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/other...-airlines-470/
6 china
6 eva
3 china airline (taiwan)
1 taipei airport

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Feb 8, 17 at 7:44 pm

Search this Thread